Anyone using ford two-wire idle valve (like Ford Focus)?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Anyone using ford two-wire idle valve (like Ford Focus)?

Post by Jon k »

Hi all,

Going to give a go on a Ford 2-wire idle valve. I was wondering if anyone knew what frequency and general settings it likes to be run at.

Any info at all is greatly appreciated!

Jon
1992 BMW 525i M50 Non Vanos 24v Turbocharged
Stock COP Wasted Spark
MS2/E v3
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Anyone using ford two-wire idle valve (like Ford Focus)?

Post by Matt Cramer »

Most Ford IACs seem to run at around 300 Hz on the stock ECU, but can be driven at a lower frequency.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Jon k »

Matt Cramer wrote:Most Ford IACs seem to run at around 300 Hz on the stock ECU, but can be driven at a lower frequency.
Do you have good response around 200 - 300 hz? I am going to install the air hose biased to one side of my intake plenum. I don't suspect that it'll make a difference but the factory idle valve was plumbed centrally. Do you know if this valve has a wide gamut of PWM control? Or is it narrow, like 40 - 60%?
Stock COP Wasted Spark
MS2/E v3
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

IIRC, the Mustang valve we tested seemed to go from 50% to 0%.
Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Jon k »

Matt Cramer wrote:IIRC, the Mustang valve we tested seemed to go from 50% to 0%.
Hey matt

Just getting around to testing this valve - put it on the car and couldn't get much reaction. It defaults to being "open".

I brought it into work and put it on a 14v 5A power supply - when I tap the leads to one way I have the current clamp light come on the PSU so I think that's less than ideal. If I flip the leads around I hear the valve go "ca-plop" like it wants to move, but nothing moves. Should the valve close? Do you have one you can test? Or, does it need PWM to close (though I would think holding it to +14v and GND would be 100% DC).

Thanks!
Stock COP Wasted Spark
MS2/E v3
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Sounds like the valve is faulty.
The one on my car (very similar) takes about 1A and moves easily.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

jsmcortina wrote:Sounds like the valve is faulty.
The one on my car (very similar) takes about 1A and moves easily.

James
Another reason the valve sounds faulty: Most Ford IACs we test seem to default to closed.
Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Jon k »

Weird - it's brand new out of box. It has the spring inside the one port. I read in another thread that the valve requires engine vacuum to draw the plunger shut and the solenoid pops the plunger open.
Stock COP Wasted Spark
MS2/E v3
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Jon k wrote:Weird - it's brand new out of box. It has the spring inside the one port. I read in another thread that the valve requires engine vacuum to draw the plunger shut and the solenoid pops the plunger open.
In that case then you need to apply vacuum to it to test it. Mine doesn't work that way.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
john.p.clegg
Running MSx/Extra

Post by john.p.clegg »

Jon

Polarity,I blew a couple of these,mine had inbuilt diodes across the coil , check for small + or - by the connector,you may have blown it..

John :cry:
jamies
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by jamies »

john.p.clegg wrote:Jon

Polarity,I blew a couple of these,mine had inbuilt diodes across the coil , check for small + or - by the connector,you may have blown it..

X2
our late model (1996-2001) aussie fords had inbuilt protection diodes on the IAC's whereas the earlier ones didnt
The Deviant
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by The Deviant »

Jon k wrote: I brought it into work and put it on a 14v 5A power supply - when I tap the leads to one way I have the current clamp light come on the PSU so I think that's less than ideal. If I flip the leads around I hear the valve go "ca-plop" like it wants to move, but nothing moves. Should the valve close?
Thanks!
Last night I was doing some IAC testing as well, and I noticed that a new IAC I had appeared to have a diode clamp in it to prevent reverse polarity hookup; my PSU did the same thing when I wired it backwards - a "short". My valve did, however, default to the CLOSED (i.e. not flowing air when no current applied) state, and I tend to agree with everyone else that thinks they all default CLOSED with no current (I've tested a few of them, all defaulted to CLOSED).
Jon k wrote: Weird - it's brand new out of box. It has the spring inside the one port. I read in another thread that the valve requires engine vacuum to draw the plunger shut and the solenoid pops the plunger open.
I have also read that some Ford IACs need the vacuum to work properly - although I can't speak to the validity of that statement, as neither of mine require a vacuum to work.
James B.
1985 Merkur XR4Ti Rally Car
MS3 3.57+MS3X+RTCC+Knock
Ford Lima 2.3 Turbo/MSD LS2 COPs/DIYAT Hall Cam Sensor/Electromotive VR Crank Sensor
Nexus 7 Instrumentation with Shadowdash MS
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

john.p.clegg wrote:Jon

I can confirm the diode
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

There is a + and - on the connector IIRC
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Jon k »

Thanks for all the feedback guys - I could not see a + or - on the connector and the pigtail I received had 2 white wires. Hrm.

Well, assuming its shot, can anyone provide a PN# for a valve that they are using and like?

I did some testing of a Bosch 3-wire and I like the potential but I'd have to run another wire through the harness I made (very clean mil-spec style) in order to use it.
Stock COP Wasted Spark
MS2/E v3
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

Jon k wrote:Thanks for all the feedback guys - I could not see a + or - on the connector and the pigtail I received had 2 white wires. Hrm.

Well, assuming its shot, can anyone provide a PN# for a valve that they are using and like?

I did some testing of a Bosch 3-wire and I like the potential but I'd have to run another wire through the harness I made (very clean mil-spec style) in order to use it.
I think I brought it up slowly on my 12v variable supply and tried each direction. One drew a lot of current; one didn't

Or put a 12v light bulb in series to limit current while testing polarity
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Jon k »

Peter Florance wrote:
Jon k wrote:Thanks for all the feedback guys - I could not see a + or - on the connector and the pigtail I received had 2 white wires. Hrm.

I think I brought it up slowly on my 12v variable supply and tried each direction. One drew a lot of current; one didn't

Or put a 12v light bulb in series to limit current while testing polarity
Yeah I use a Kikusui PMC18-5A with variable current output with a clamp, but the first time I tested was on the car... with a 7.5A fuse (all I had at the time). So, hopefully the valve is just borked and not the ECU.
Stock COP Wasted Spark
MS2/E v3
9secz
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 9secz »

I was going to start a thread, but this one is close to the question I want to ask. I'm adding an IAC to a Duratec 3.0 V6 application that didn't come with one. Looking through Rock Auto listings for the various Ford and Mazda models that did come with an IAC, it seems there are many IAC part numbers that all have the same form factor. Can anybody recommend a particular valve part number that has worked well?

Jeff
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

9secz wrote:I was going to start a thread, but this one is close to the question I want to ask. I'm adding an IAC to a Duratec 3.0 V6 application that didn't come with one. Looking through Rock Auto listings for the various Ford and Mazda models that did come with an IAC, it seems there are many IAC part numbers that all have the same form factor. Can anybody recommend a particular valve part number that has worked well?

Jeff
I had no issues with the valve once I figured the polarity. I think any of the Ford valves will work; ours had positive and negative signs molded on connecter.
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
Deuce8ernerozero
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Deuce8ernerozero »

Did you ever get your Ford focus pwm idle valve settings dialed in? I'm intrested to see what your settings are.
77 datsun 280z mostly stock
megasquirt v3 board
ms1/extra 029y3 code
msns, tpsae, lc2 wideband, speed density
turbo distributor
z31 coil
240sx ka24 tps
2004 ford focus idle valve
original datsun clt
same clt sensor for mat
anybody wants my tune just ask for it. ;)