V3.57 Injectors not firing properly

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

nsusammyeb
Helpful MS/Extra'er

V3.57 Injectors not firing properly

Post by nsusammyeb »

I'm running a v3.57 with msnse directly controlling a ford coil pack with wasted spark and using batch fire on a 4 cylinder with a 36-1 trigger wheel. Car fired up this morning for the first time and seemed to be running great. I then went back to start it later on and it was missing on at least two cylinders. I plugged the noid light into the harness and seem to be getting intermittent flashes on all cylinders. I'm getting very very dim pulses with the noid light most of the time as well. This is the tooth logger from the other day. Image

I thought I had a problem in my wiring or in my db37 connector so I ordered up a pigtail and used it hoping to solve the problem. Car started up and ran great after the install and now the problem is back. I did nick the VR sensor the other day when I was adjusting it but it still seems to be working properly with the tooth logger. I ordered a new one just in case. I got an 18" pigtail. Is it possible that it's getting noise in the last 18" before the ecu? I didn't shield anything in the pigtail.

I attached the log. Ignore the maf, it wasn't plugged in, and plugging it in the problem still remained.
2012-05-10_17.53.49.msl
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: V3.57 Injectors not firing properly

Post by Matt Cramer »

Please post an MSQ and the whole tooth log as well.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
nsusammyeb
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by nsusammyeb »

Hey Matt,

I don't think the trigger wheel or vr are the problem they are very steady. The potentiometer is spot on as well. Pretty sure it's a problem with my cranking pulsewidth. I had it set to 1.5 at 70 degrees clt and was getting a very weak noid light but when I power down the ecu the noid light shines brightly so I knew it wasn't in the wiring. Here's the specs on the injectors that I'm using.

I raised the cranking pw to 2.0 and the car fired up. It was missing pretty bad so I raised the ASE and it smoothed out a lot. Now I'm having problems with warm starts. Anything over 80 degrees basically the car just won't start and I'm already at a very low pulsewidth for these injectors aren't I?

The original post has a datalog. Just ignore the map. I'll try to get another datalog today. Maybe one of a stone cold start and one of a warm crank.
nsusammyeb
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by nsusammyeb »

Ok, today I put a brand new VR sensor on just in case. I had to play with the potentiometer again to get rid of any noise in the signal. Seems that there is a very fine line between no rpm's and steady signal. I've got really good spark. The tooth logger is very consistent but is only making it up to the first line of the graph, not sure if this matters or not.

After I got the potentiometer set again I had a problem with my software shutting down on me as I was cranking. Then when I let off of the starter the fuel pump would not shut off. It just continued to prime.

To sum things up:

Good spark.
RPM's while cranking
Pulsewidth while cranking
no fuel being injected
noid lights not flashing at all now and it doesn't matter what the pw is set at.
6.msl
nsusammyeb
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by nsusammyeb »

wanted to add that I just put a new starter on the car today as well...
nsusammyeb
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by nsusammyeb »

I tried to reflash the MS today and something is up. I got an error right away the first time I tried so I lowered the buffers all the way and everything started working fine. Now, after it gets ready to reboot it says that there is only .12v on the MS. I checked pin #28 on the harness and have 12v, I checked the grounds as well #'s 18, 19, 9,10,11,12 iirc. I'm assuming that this is more than likely the source of all the problems that I've been having. For some reason the MS is not seeing 12v although there's 12v at the connector. I've got a gender changer between the MS and my harness but it's been acting up since before I added the new pigtail and the gender changer. Here's the error I'm getting.

jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Where's the error? That looks like it downloaded ok.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
nsusammyeb
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by nsusammyeb »

it says that the battery voltage is only .12v and that the ecu could not be flashed properly. I checked the transistors for my ign outs and they both tested bad. Would this cause the ecu not to see 12v during the firmware install and what could have caused this?

I do remember that I was following instructions for setting the coil dwell and it told me to use not inverted and I ended up having to do the opposite because the chip was overheating.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

You will also get that message if the boot jumper is in place.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
nsusammyeb
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by nsusammyeb »

removed the boot jumper and the car runs great, must have been a problem with the firmware. Tunerstudio even reads the MS like it's supposed to now, I uninstalled and reinstalled after the reboot.