how to make my car breath fire!!!! just for fun!

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by nathanhardy »

So i've got all these goodies in my car like launch control! and i've always wonder how and why race car spit fire on shifts...and in launch i have a half blown out cat but i've never seen a spark at all.. just wondering if my turbo vr6 can act alittle more racey when i show off!!
:lol: or is that a bad thing!!!!

i'll throw in my msq if anyone can check it over also that would be great its a fairly new tune so im not going to jump on the show off train just yet but it would be nice to know anything and everything!!! if anyboby sees anything weird please tell me
98 VW golf gti vr6 turbo 8:5:1 cr ported and polished full ferrea race valves train 276 cams custom short runner intake Borge 366 sx-e turbo forge wossner pistons, balanced rotating mass, limited slip 6 speed deka 750Lbs injectors on ms3pro completed AWD swap
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: how to make my car breath fire!!!! just for fun!

Post by billr »

Are those ones you see spitting fire turbos? I'm not familiar with turbos, but would be surprised if enough exhaust heat gets past the turbo turbine to light things. Really want a flame-thrower? How about an injector (flowing into a stand-off tube, for heat insulation) and a spark-plug down in the exhaust pipe? Those could easily be controlled with an MS auxiliary output. Since you asked (sort of)... showing off isn't always bad, but having enough fuel in the exhaust to ignite isn't all that safe, I would avoid it!
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

A friend's turbo rx7 with a blowoff valve to atmosphere running the stock computer used to blow out 2-3' flames on nearly every shift. Rotaries have hotter than normal exhaust temps though.

Ken
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
Twistedmetal
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Twistedmetal »

My wastegate is atmospheric dump, flames are normal. Nobody has ever seen them come down the downpipe though.
MS3X v3 w/Ford IAC mod running MS3 1.41
Sig PIP TFI trigger with direct coil control, 60# highZ injectors
91 Ford Mustang, modified 5.0, 70mm turbo @ 11#s
nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by nathanhardy »

I'm sure it doesn't help to have a cat.. I'm just wondering how to get more pop from launch control
98 VW golf gti vr6 turbo 8:5:1 cr ported and polished full ferrea race valves train 276 cams custom short runner intake Borge 366 sx-e turbo forge wossner pistons, balanced rotating mass, limited slip 6 speed deka 750Lbs injectors on ms3pro completed AWD swap
seishuku
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by seishuku »

My SR20 will pop a flame on overrun after a few high boost/high RPM pulls, kinda cool seeing a little flame and pop in my side mirror. :D

It's just a matter of enough fuel and a hot enough exhaust to ignite it.

And if you aren't getting much of a pop from launch control, take a look in your VE table at the RPM/MAP where launch control settles at and add more fuel.
twinturboiroc
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by twinturboiroc »

add some extra fuel as stated above, also when using the reatrd and spark cut during launch control set ur timming to say 10-15* adtc.

i did the launch control on my friends turbo v6 camaro @ 3,000 rpms it takes about 3 seconds to start showing flames out the downpipe
i belive the settings are
12* atdc and cut 3 from 6

once he put a muffler on the car we had to back the settings down though, loading up a muffler with raw fuel and lighting it off is a very very bad idea
also since u have acat it may not work i think the cat may just burn up any of the unburnt fuel in the ex pipe before it gets anywere near ur tailpipes
EspeNS
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by EspeNS »

I can make my Cosworth spit flames at overrun if I want :) All I do is turn off overrun cut off, igniton table at about 0 at overrun, and AFR table at about 10 at overrun. After 1 or 2 pulls with full boost it spits flames at overrun :D
I do the same thing on a mates car to keep the turbo spinning during braking before corners.
-84 Ford Sierra 2,0ohc GL, soon to be MS'd, NA tuned with rallyecam and TBI.
-98 Mustang Cobra, track car.
nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by nathanhardy »

On launch control with my vr6 I'm 9 deg and 5 out of 7 3000-3500
rabid
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by rabid »

I used to use flat shift settings of cut spark only. That would dump plenty of the fuel into the exhaust so it would go off like a shotgun when I got back on it.