DIYPNP / Microsquirt Tuning

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

aja_54
MS/Extra Newbie

DIYPNP / Microsquirt Tuning

Post by aja_54 »

I have a 87 Toyota MR2 with a fairly new, stock, engine. I started having problems with the stock ignitor pack located on the coil so I decided to use the features that I had read about for the PNP module.

After building the kit, jumpering it to what I could find on line, and reading the extensive yet non-detailed articles and getting started I installed the DIYPNP Last week 05/22/12.

My first question is - Is there any DETAILED info on the "MICROSQUIRT" and when I ask for details, I am asking for complete schematics and a detailed discription of how the circuitry works?

Next - Is there any detailed info on HOW all the maps interact? How much PW % is added or subtracted and how the computer decides to use each table?

I got my car to idle when first installed, but while trying to tune the PNP module the ignitor pack on my MR2 completely failed. After figuring out how to bring the VR signal from the tach to the module without adding or changing the wiring harness, I remodified the PNP unit to match all changes and downloaded the latest code and installed.

Again, I had the car idling for maybe an hour then all died. (No ignition signal again)

Thanks to access to an osciliscope and an extra wiring harness, I was able to build a mock up, including an old distributor to test my signal wiring and all worked up to the output of ignition A. It took a full day before I realized that I had to redirect the output IGNA to the correct port. (Again, lack of detailed infor on what everything does )

After downloading the VE for a MR2 turbo with 440 injectors, I figured that my 220 injectors will need 2X the required VE maping to work and that I do not need any VE after 100 Fuel load since I have no turbo.

Last question - Does the software automate the tuning or is it a manual, hit and miss, proceedure?

Sorry for the long verbage, but I hope to have my MR2 on the road within the week
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: DIYPNP / Microsquirt Tuning

Post by Matt Cramer »

aja_54 wrote:I have a 87 Toyota MR2 with a fairly new, stock, engine. I started having problems with the stock ignitor pack located on the coil so I decided to use the features that I had read about for the PNP module.

After building the kit, jumpering it to what I could find on line, and reading the extensive yet non-detailed articles and getting started I installed the DIYPNP Last week 05/22/12.

My first question is - Is there any DETAILED info on the "MICROSQUIRT" and when I ask for details, I am asking for complete schematics and a detailed discription of how the circuitry works?
I believe this is what you are looking for.

http://www.microsquirtmodule.com/index.htm
Next - Is there any detailed info on HOW all the maps interact? How much PW % is added or subtracted and how the computer decides to use each table?
The MS2/Extra manual is your best place to look for that.

http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html#ms2

Last question - Does the software automate the tuning or is it a manual, hit and miss, proceedure?

Sorry for the long verbage, but I hope to have my MR2 on the road within the week
The paid version of TunerStudio has the VE Analyzer Live for automating the fuel tuning but not the ignition.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
aja_54
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by aja_54 »

YES!! That is exactly what I was looking for and thank you very much!! I did get the paid version of Tuner Studio from the start but it does not seem to automate the idle tuning. I will continue to read these great sources to see what I am missing to get this tune right.

Thanks again for your reply and links.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

You're welcome! The automated part is accessible from the VE Analyzer Live tab.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X