$7 bluetooth WORKING on MS1!

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

PSIG
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: $7 bluetooth WORKING on MS1!

Post by PSIG »

Go for it.
David
-=≡ If it was easy, everyone would do it. ≡=-
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

Okay, I did the handshake mod on my v3 board for the heck of it, and then jumpered pin 9 on the Male DB9 of the BT adapter to the + header on the RS232 adapter, and I got my MS1 to report it's firmware version with portcheck.exe on my wife's laptop w/ BT, but here's the weird thing; it replied at 115200, which I didn't think was possible? I'm wondering if I can use the reset button somehow to get it back to 96008N1?

ETA: Okay, portcheck doesn't work (my wife's laptop runs Vista and is opening two COM ports for the BT adapter) but TunerStudio found it and connected right up. Everything works great on the stim, though I forgot to check the frame rate.

SUCCESS!
rx7locost
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by rx7locost »

Rick, from the real rx7locost on the RX7 board, congratulations on getting your true rs232 level BT adapter working. For others, here is the entire mod required for the bt/rs-232 level converter. No extra circuit additions are needed; no level shifting interfaces (discrete or IC-based); no added voltage regulators. It is all in there. A jumper is required from the DB9 pin 9 to power the module's circuits. It is easily exchanged with a serial cable for safe MS firmware upgrades; true plug and play inter-operability (once you get the BT working)

I have read that the BT Stack your PC uses has a good deal to do with all of these Linvor HC-0x modules working. I am using the Microsoft BT stack.
bt-rs232.JPG
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

Thanks! I found that it also works fine with the handshaking mods removed from the v3.0 board, so for simplicity that's how I'm running it. I'm interested in the "BT Stack" you mention, as my Win7 desktop runs GREAT with this thing, but my XP/Pro laptop stutters and loses comms every few seconds. It does this with either v1.007 or the latest beta of TS, and it only does it with the BT (i.e., USB to serial commo is fine). One thing I've noticed, is that these seem to open up multiple COM ports, and I'm playing with the setting to see if I can get in there and turn off the buffers on the correct ports. For some reason the BT software I'm running seems to have removed my ability to do that through the Device Manager in XP/Pro. It also likes to connect and send the MS firmware version in both 9600 and 115200 BAUD on the Win7 machine... that's odd to me.

Otherwise, I'm waiting for some anti-vibration mounts and a USB-TTL adapter to come in so I can change the device name and passkey, and I'll have the MS1 back in the car hopefully so I can take a spin on Memorial Day.
squirrelgripper
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by squirrelgripper »

Just to clarify - is this the type of bluetooth module that you guys have working?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arduino-DB9-RS2 ... 2570616c5d

Also, how does one change the baud rate (ie for MS 2/3) on this type of module?
Hardwyre
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Hardwyre »

I have the same module OP has, the MDFLY board. Anything special to get it to work on a 3.0 MS2? Or do I just solder the TX and RX pins directly to the respective CPU pins (instead of going through the RS232)?

When I tried plugging it straight into my laptop, I never got even a loopback. I'd type stuff and nothing would show up. When going into the laptop, is that where I need to swap the TX and RX pins with eachother
My Datsun is powered by: Pick'N'Pull, Cadillac, BMW, Ford, HomeDepot, Volvo, etc, etc.
A MSExtra success story! http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=40364
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

squirrelgripper - yes, that's the module I bought. I went on Amazon.com and found a USB to TTL adapter, and hooked that up to reprogram the module. It was another $8.50 shipped, but it was SUPER easy. I just put Rx, Tx, and - on the TTL header, and then ran + in through the DB9 PIN9 as I already had the mod that RX7locost showed in place.

Earlier in this thread there was an abbreviated list of AT+ commands that those particular modules will accept, but you can try any of the AT commands to see if they work, I suppose. For an example, mine didn't resond to the "AT+PSWD?" query. I used the H-Term program referenced earlier in the thread for communicating through the USB to TTL adapter. Remember to reverse Rx/Tx going into the TTL header.
Hardwyre
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Hardwyre »

So using the MDFLY module like the OP showed, I tried soldering to the pins of the MS232 chip on a V3 board with a MS2 cpu and nothing seems to work.

I've tried to connect it directly to my serial port on my laptop and the only thing I'm getting it's loopback. Typing AT returns AT, not OK.

I don't understand why I can't even get an OK back on it.
My Datsun is powered by: Pick'N'Pull, Cadillac, BMW, Ford, HomeDepot, Volvo, etc, etc.
A MSExtra success story! http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=40364
PSIG
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by PSIG »

Are you using HyperTerminal or H-Term? I suggest H-Term. Also, I found direct serial to be unreliable with the modules I've used, and have most success with a USB to TTL converter ($2 to $3 delivered on Fleabay). It also cannot be in BT mode when attempting to program or communicate via serial. Interesting you are getting an echo of AT - usually you get nothing if there is no commo. Check with MDFLY for their command list in case it's different for that module version. I have not used MDFLY, just various other generic modules.

David
-=≡ If it was easy, everyone would do it. ≡=-
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

I was also getting echo when trying to program mine with a USB-serial adapter going into the DB9, but the USB to TTL unit worked instantly with no headaches.

Incidentally, on my desktop I have no problem setting the data rate to max reads, but on my laptop I can only run it at 1 read per second, or I get stuttering every few seconds. It seems to happen less frequently in Lite Mode, so I'm thinking my 256MB of RAM isn't cutting it in ol' Lappy? I've got 1GB on the way...
rx7locost
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by rx7locost »

Squirrelgripper, It is hard to argue with success. If Rick was successful in using USB-TTL then I have no reason to believe it will not work. Go for it. I have an old desktop with a serial port. I just plugged the adapter's DB-9 port directly into the desktop's serial port. I have also used a USB-RS232 cable plugged into the DB9 on the adapter with similar success. So I guess any of the 3 mentioned methods should work but all of them require powering the module from a separate source. I use 4 AAA batteries fed in on the 4-pin header.

As far as which terminal program to use is concerned, The setup of Hyperterminal can be fairly complex for the novice. I don't know about H-Term. Tunerstudio has a no-frills terminal program called Miniterminal built in under the communications tab. It works pretty well. You don't need to be connected to the Megasquirt, just the module; I think you can also operate Miniterminal in the off-line mode.

BTW, make sure you are running TS V1.18 or above. The older TS versions have Bluetooth algorithms that do not work as well.
12lbchevelle
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 12lbchevelle »

Heres how I installed the ebay bluetooth. I can pick up the signal 2 floors up from the garage even with the ms3 installed in the car's console. The harness from the proto area to the rs232 chip socket is removable, allowing the installing of the rs232 chip.

MS3 3.8L Buick Turbo V6 -- 1968 Chevelle
MS3 2.4L Honda K24 -- 1991 Toyota MR2
a73camaro
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by a73camaro »

Added this to a MS1 - not too bad to do and the results are great! Thanks to the OP for posting this.
MSII v3.0, Extra 3.0.3s
t_cel_t
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by t_cel_t »

12lbchevelle wrote:Heres how I installed the ebay bluetooth. I can pick up the signal 2 floors up from the garage even with the ms3 installed in the car's console. The harness from the proto area to the rs232 chip socket is removable, allowing the installing of the rs232 chip.

thats a really cool install with the antennae hanging out
91 tercel
MS1V3 extra o29y
stock 5efe+turbo
10 pounds has yet to turn me out
em_knaps
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by em_knaps »

Hey guys,

I bought some bluetooth modules like the one 12lbchevelle has on his V3 board.

I bought 5 of them from some chap in hong kong, free shipping, about a week to get to NZ.

the quality of connection varies from one to the other, they will be ok for general connection to shaddow logger although one of them wont connect even after its pair successfully.
I would saying tuning would be ok with these but they lag about 1/3 of a second so if your tuning under duress id use the normal serial connection.

Im going to start installing them in the V2.2 MS1's I sell just for the fun of it.

Im using linux ubuntu 12.04 and had to download the bluetooth manager to do anything more than just pair with the device,

Its a little awkward but it works well enough once you have a connection.

cheers fella's for bringing these little devices to my attention.. makes for an interesting day.
There is no spoon.....
dupko
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dupko »

thanks for pics and tips :yeah!:
pitobread
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by pitobread »

rx7locost wrote:Rick, from the real rx7locost on the RX7 board, congratulations on getting your true rs232 level BT adapter working. For others, here is the entire mod required for the bt/rs-232 level converter. No extra circuit additions are needed; no level shifting interfaces (discrete or IC-based); no added voltage regulators. It is all in there. A jumper is required from the DB9 pin 9 to power the module's circuits. It is easily exchanged with a serial cable for safe MS firmware upgrades; true plug and play inter-operability (once you get the BT working)

I have read that the BT Stack your PC uses has a good deal to do with all of these Linvor HC-0x modules working. I am using the Microsoft BT stack.
bt-rs232.JPG
Bumping this great old thread to ask a question. If I was to say, remove both the connectors from this type of board and hardwire it to the backside of the internal serial and run the 5v signal to a on/off switch on the outside would I be able to hook a serial cable up without having any interference from the BT module when the switch was in the off position? I currently have one of the other type boards working TTL but I want something that allows easier switching between BT or serial port.
em_knaps
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by em_knaps »

I would imagine you would need to do the same to the RS232 chip so that when you are in bluetooth mode its not fighting with teh BT module.

I used a single throw double pole switch to switch the signal wires between the BT and RS232 chip.
so that one is isolated when the other is connected.
There is no spoon.....
pitobread
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by pitobread »

If I was using the one RX7Locost posted I would be using the onboard RS232 for bluetooth comms as the adapter is RS232, Just direct wired I could see having to do that if I was using TTL, I would have to turn off the RS232 chip or I would get interference.

I am just curious if I de power the RS232 on the bluetooth if I would be able to get serial cable input without issues, I would assume yes, because I have effectively turned off the RS232 on the bluetooth side but I don't know for certain.
robd
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by robd »

Just wondering if anyone's tried using one of these with a tablet or phone and Shadow Dash MS?