Peak and hold injector driver board

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Peak and hold injector driver board

Post by racingmini_mtl »

JAM wrote:
racingmini_mtl wrote:Yes, you can drive high Z injectors with the p&h drivers. So you can install the board now and switch to low Z injectors later.

Jean
what benefits would you get from using the board with hi Z injectors? Would you have to use any different components in the board for use with the hi Z injectors?
The only benefit is that you can install the board and still use the high Z injectors that you have until you get the low Z injectors. That might be useful if you're building a new MS but don't want to add the p&h board later. Actually, there might be another benefit depending on how you wire the board: since all the high current from the injectors is removed from the MS board there might be less noise. Of course, you have to use a separate injector ground for that.

And there is no need to change anything on the board to use high Z injectors.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Perkele
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Perkele »

racingmini_mtl wrote:
JAM wrote:
racingmini_mtl wrote:Yes, you can drive high Z injectors with the p&h drivers. So you can install the board now and switch to low Z injectors later.

Jean
what benefits would you get from using the board with hi Z injectors? Would you have to use any different components in the board for use with the hi Z injectors?
The only benefit is that you can install the board and still use the high Z injectors that you have until you get the low Z injectors. That might be useful if you're building a new MS but don't want to add the p&h board later. Actually, there might be another benefit depending on how you wire the board: since all the high current from the injectors is removed from the MS board there might be less noise. Of course, you have to use a separate injector ground for that.

And there is no need to change anything on the board to use high Z injectors.

Jean
You are correct and I'm of course aiming for full sequental controll and when I use p&h board I get alot of room on the V3.0 board if I remove all the unnecessary components. I can put COP ignition drivers etc. easily on the V3.0 board.
jsanches
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jsanches »

Hi,

I have a question about how to ground the P&B board. I have ground the both wires (ms ground and the ground of injectors drivers) on the MS board. However I don't see some noise, I thing I shound have ground the drivers into car's chassis or car's battery.
I also have ignition driver running and I could use the same ground for the injectors drivers.

Thank you!
Juliano
Chevy Opala Diplomata 4.1 - TBI Holley and Hall Sensor
Megasquirt-II [2.1.0], PCB v2.2, Peak and Hold Driver Board
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

You want to ground the drivers to a good car ground. If your ignition drivers are grounded outside the MS then, yes, you can use the same ground.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
adamthompson
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by adamthompson »

Is there any way at all of making the V1.1 board work with MS3x
I need 6 Peak and hold injector drivers and I want to keep the features of the MS3X. I already have a couple of V1.1 boards and it would be great if I could make it work...
Regards
Adam
spokanerxdude
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by spokanerxdude »

I would assume (you know how much trouble that can get you in) that you would just hook the P&H board to the injector points on the ms3x board just like they would be if you used high impidence injectors. Can anyone out there confirm this for us.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

spokanerxdude wrote:I would assume (you know how much trouble that can get you in) that you would just hook the P&H board to the injector points on the ms3x board just like they would be if you used high impidence injectors. Can anyone out there confirm this for us.
No, you would need to connect the p&h board (at least for the V1.1) to the MS3 where the MS3X connects. The board needs a 0-5V signal as input, which is what the MS3 signal is, and not a grounding signal, which is what the MS3X outputs are. To use the board with the MS3X outputs, you need to add an inverting circuit.

There is a new board version under development that will use the MS3X outputs directly.

Jean
spokanerxdude
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by spokanerxdude »

See I told you assuming would get me in trouble :lol: Thank you Jean. When will that board be ready I see there is a section on your website for it.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Actually, it is different from what is on my site. It's a new board developed with DIYAutotune that will have up to 8 drivers. And I'm not yet sure when this will be available because that's not all up to me.

Jean
JAM
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by JAM »

racingmini_mtl wrote:Actually, it is different from what is on my site. It's a new board developed with DIYAutotune that will have up to 8 drivers. And I'm not yet sure when this will be available because that's not all up to me.

Jean
Keep me posted on this, i am working on a 16 injector intake i want to use your boards. I used 2 of the 4 driver boards for my last project.
DCCCL
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by DCCCL »

racingmini_mtl wrote:
spokanerxdude wrote:I would assume (you know how much trouble that can get you in) that you would just hook the P&H board to the injector points on the ms3x board just like they would be if you used high impidence injectors. Can anyone out there confirm this for us.
No, you would need to connect the p&h board (at least for the V1.1) to the MS3 where the MS3X connects. The board needs a 0-5V signal as input, which is what the MS3 signal is, and not a grounding signal, which is what the MS3X outputs are. To use the board with the MS3X outputs, you need to add an inverting circuit.

There is a new board version under development that will use the MS3X outputs directly.

Jean
racingmini_mtl wrote:Actually, it is different from what is on my site. It's a new board developed with DIYAutotune that will have up to 8 drivers. And I'm not yet sure when this will be available because that's not all up to me.

Jean

I want to use 2 injector sets (dual fuel). One set for petrol the other set for LPG, 5 cilinder full seq using a comb relay to switch banks. The petrol injectors are Hi-Z, LPG injectors Low-Z.
Really would like to use the board mentioned above, can I use a series resistor with the Low-Z injectors till the new "MS3X compatible" board becomes available ?
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

DCCCL wrote: Really would like to use the board mentioned above, can I use a series resistor with the Low-Z injectors till the new "MS3X compatible" board becomes available ?
I have with no problems
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Peter Florance wrote:
DCCCL wrote: Really would like to use the board mentioned above, can I use a series resistor with the Low-Z injectors till the new "MS3X compatible" board becomes available ?
I have with no problems
Were those LPG injectors? Not all of them work great with inline resistors. But it's worth a try.

Jean
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

racingmini_mtl wrote:
Peter Florance wrote:
I have with no problems
Were those LPG injectors? Not all of them work great with inline resistors. But it's worth a try.

Jean
Oops no, missed the LPG part.

I doubt it would work that great with resistors.
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
janse
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janse »

Why don't we make a board between conectors J1? Between MS3 card and MS3X.

We already have mosfets on the MS3X, so why should we use others?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

janse wrote:Why don't we make a board between conectors J1? Between MS3 card and MS3X.

We already have mosfets on the MS3X, so why should we use others?
Because the chip on the p&h board is not designed to control a FET but a BJT transistor. I also don't know how the VND5N07 would like being driven linearly and it's also not a simple FET. But the main issue is heat. The way this works does generate more heat than the MS3X board would be able to dissipate. There would be a need to use some sort of heat sink. Especially if you don't use an external flyback circuit as is the case on the MS3X.

Jean
janse
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janse »

I need a Peak of 4 and hold of 1.5. Is it possible to make a circuit like (0.9A) + 0.6A hold and (0.9A*4) + 0.6A peak?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

janse wrote:I need a Peak of 4 and hold of 1.5. Is it possible to make a circuit like (0.9A) + 0.6A hold and (0.9A*4) + 0.6A peak?
It's probably possible but not with my board directly. If you want to use my board you will either have 4A peak or 1.5A hold but not both (and the last one will be approximate and will require that you buy components other than the one in my standard kit). I'm sorry but if you want to have 4A/1.5A you will need to make the circuit yourself or find another circuit that does it.

Jean
janse
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janse »

It's probably possible but not with my board directly. If you want to use my board you will either have 4A peak or 1.5A hold but not both (and the last one will be approximate and will require that you buy components other than the one in my standard kit). I'm sorry but if you want to have 4A/1.5A you will need to make the circuit yourself or find another circuit that does it.

Jean
I see you used one single zener on 4 injectors (The fifth transistor caught my attention), isn't this disturbing the 3 other injector channels? Especially on seq. injection.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

No due to the other diodes.

Jean