Random irratic rpm signals cause huge lean spikes

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

TTC
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Random irratic rpm signals cause huge lean spikes

Post by TTC »

ms1 v3.0 EDIS hi res code 4age turbo

For whatever reason out of the blue I started getting random backfires, bucking and "fuel cuts". At first I thought maybe it was a fueling issue but after looking at the logs you will notice that there is a random rpm drop, it goes to the lean point of the map and then hilarity insues. This for the most part cost me an entire race day, i was bummed.

If you look through the map you will see the event followed by a wack of tps spikes, that was just so I could mark them on the log. Ignore the spikes afterwards in tps.

Since im using EDIS would I just start with the pip/saw connections from the edis unit to my ms? Bah, log is to large since it was a 15minute session. I can email it.

Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Random irratic rpm signals cause huge lean spikes

Post by Matt Cramer »

Yes, I'd check the connections, and if the PIP signal isn't shielded, shield it.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
TTC
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by TTC »

Rewired all ign pip saw componets, seems like it might still be there. I've had my MS for al oooong time, maybe 6 years. Is it possible a compents jus tworn?
BMW528e
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by BMW528e »

Could it be a problem with the EDIS unit or VR sensor? Do you have a tachometer that is triggered by EDIS and does it show the RPM drop at the same time as the MS log?
TTC
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by TTC »

The tach is run by the coils, the problem is that the tach I use only starts at 5500 rpm lol. Honestly I've given MS a good go, we had some good times and its been pretty reliable. But now its costing me track time and $$$. I'm not sure what im going to do, if I shoudl finally upgrade to ms3 or just go link/haltech
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

BMW528e wrote:Could it be a problem with the EDIS unit or VR sensor? Do you have a tachometer that is triggered by EDIS and does it show the RPM drop at the same time as the MS log?
I'd probably try changing the sensor first, followed by the module.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
TTC
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by TTC »

If I find one at the yard I may try that for shits.