72 datsun problems

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

hocyplyer1
MS/Extra Newbie

72 datsun problems

Post by hocyplyer1 »

Hi all,
I have a 72 Datsun 510 with an L18 (1770cc) with alot of head work, ported to 1.5, oversize valves and a 266-488 cam.
I built my own plenum with 42lb injectors.
I am running a matchbox dizzy on it's own with one wire going to relay.
I have a CLT, IAT, and a innovate lc-1 that I have 0 out for now, and they all seem to be work correctly to my knowledge.
So here is the problem or I should say problems.
1st I have had her running and have tried to drive her without success, I got down the road sputtering the whole way then the fuel pump winded up and shut down
and wouldn't restart, wanted to start but no luck, and had to push her home.
My fuel system consist of a MSD pn2225 fuel pump, running from the fuel tank with a fuel filter before the fuel pump, then runs under car to a micro fuel filter into the
fuel rail then out to a holly fuel reg then back to the gas tank. Is this set up ok? and why does the fuel pump wind out and the car shuts down.
I have the fuel pump running off of the relay board and grounded to the battery.
2nd is starting problems I seem to be getting to much fuel, I have adjusted the CPW, WUE, ASE, PPW, VE and AFR with no luck.
I will attach a data log that honestly some of it I dont understand, although have read everything I could possibly read.
If anyone could help that would be great Ive been
working on this for over a month and getting frustrated.
Thank you.
Mike

Sorry no data log yet got to figure out how to send.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 72 datsun problems

Post by Matt Cramer »

Looks like you got the data log part figured out. The only clear problem I see from the data log is that the O2 sensor signal isn't working - let me know how you've got that part set up and I can cover how to troubleshoot it.

The MS "thinks" it is still powering the fuel pump when the problem happens. The things I'd suspect, then, are the fuel pump wiring and the fuel system itself. Any chance the pump is overheating? Does the pump still have voltage when it cuts out?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
hocyplyer1
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by hocyplyer1 »

Hello,
I have the Lc1 hook up like this, red going to power on the relay board.
The same power that supplies injectors, black to the ground also on the relay board
going straight to battery ground, yellow going to AFR gauge (gauge is also wired to relay)
And brown wire to 02 input on relay board. As far as setup on computer I have it set to lc-1 default at the start up info input. And calibrated under tools.
I just purchased a new areomotive EFI fuel reg with bypass vacuum. Cause I was using a cheep Holly Carb reg, and yes the pump would get very hot when i had the pressure on the reg adjustment high. When the pump winds up and I give her more gas the pump goes back to normal then does it again but I dont know if pump loses power (could that be from fuel reg?
if I missed something ill send another reply and anymore questions you have for me and advice.
I really appreciate your time helping Matt.
Thank you.
Mike
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

:shock: I thought you were using an EFI type regulator from your initial post. Better fix that one...

For the O2 readings, does the reading in the data log match what the gauge is doing, or is it different?
hocyplyer1
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by hocyplyer1 »

Hey Matt,
yea i ordered areomotive bypass reg I'm hoping thats the prolem.
On the AFR gauge it usually stays at the richest point, but on a high rev it flickers on and off.
could I have the settings wrong?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Does the TunerStudio display match what you see in LogWorks?
hocyplyer1
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by hocyplyer1 »

Hi Matt and all out in megaland
Ok so I got a new areomotive fuel reg and set it to 40 psi and here is where im at.
i did some tweaking in the ve tables reading about setting blocks (43kpa) to keep the engine idling, that went ok for about 10 min. idling at 1100 - 1450. (lots of hunting)
Then went to the 500 rpm block then died, note the temp was at 165-170.
Is there a setting to raise the limit? Im just trying to get her to idle good enough to drive.
But on a positive note some day ill be able to help someone else in need.
And another note Im working with a race engine with lots of head work, dont know if that maters just thought I'd mention it.
Any help would be appreciated and at this point I would pay for help.
thanks.
Mike
hocyplyer1
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by hocyplyer1 »

Just replying to my last post to give some more info,
Im running a straight throttle body, fuel only no iggy settings.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Please post your latest tune (MSQ) and a current datalog.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
hocyplyer1
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by hocyplyer1 »

Hello here is my data logs and recent program.
I checked to see if my fuel reg pressure was going down when it dies, and it stayed at 40 psi.
Timing is at 20 BTDC @ 1100-1300 and I know that's high. But I have tried to adjust timing and doesn't run.
When I put a timing light on it reads 15.
I know im getting close I just dont know what.
Thanks.
Mike
hocyplyer1
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by hocyplyer1 »

And program
hocyplyer1
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by hocyplyer1 »

Here is another question, when I press on the throttle about an inch there is no response.
I really appreciate all the help you guys are giving me, Thank you!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Judging by the way the AE was dumping a ton of fuel and it died when you stopped pumping the gas, I'd guess you are running lean.
hocyplyer1
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by hocyplyer1 »

Hello again,
I re flashed my MS2 and I had an error on the load.
I also did the boot jump, last time I didn't do this. I also re calibrated my o2 sensor and ran the car just on log works,and the reading from TS are not the same from the log works readings. I will try to
Get that log posted.
After I flashed ms2 I did a data log and came up with a totally different reading, and seems like I have alot of interference now.
I'm trying my best to understand this and i'm starting to get some of it, but now it seems like im going backwards.
thank you.
Mike