Microsquirt/MS2 based transmission controller

'Microsquirt' Transmission Control development and support.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Microsquirt/MS2 based transmission controller

Post by UnaClocker »

That trans just sucks. The factory computers can't controll it correctly half the time. 4th gear is insanely weak/poorly designed.
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
guhfluh
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by guhfluh »

UnaClocker wrote:That trans just sucks. The factory computers can't controll it correctly half the time. 4th gear is insanely weak/poorly designed.
I think it is just you and can't believe you haven't been banned from here yet with that attitude.
'99 Neon, NGC 2.4L, MS2, P&H board, EGT board, turbo, etc... MS2extra3.1.1 currently
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

I'm the only one who even bothered to try to use this transmission. Had a half dozen all jumping up and down about it, but when push came to shove, I'm the only one that laid down the cash, time, and car to do the testing. Pardon me if I'm a bit bitter about the posers who bailed on the project. I can cite references for the problems with the trans if you think I'm being unfairly critical of this worthless pile of junk.
James did an awesome job of completely rewriting his code to support a very strange and stubborn style of transmission. It's a shame nobody else bothered to try the code out.
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
guhfluh
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by guhfluh »

Nothing about the control strategy is specific to the 41TE and still gets used for Chrysler transmissions built today. Even the 68RFE behind the 800ft/lb Cummins uses the same clutch-to-clutch shift strategy. If the strategy was junk, it wouldn't be used in almost every late model Chrysler transmission.

The A604/41TE,40TE,42LE,42AE,ETC. was used by Chrysler for decades. If it was junk, it would not have lasted so long. Yes, the series has a weaker 4th gear than desired and it is a known weak point. Newer designed 4th gear parts are stronger than the older design because of the known weak point and the need for it to handle more power in heavier vehicles. If it can handle a 500-650whp 2500lb Neon running 10's with a few accidental 4th gear shifts, I'd say it's not that bad of a trans, but I wouldn't recommend using 4th under high power and expecting reliability, just like everyone has for years.
'99 Neon, NGC 2.4L, MS2, P&H board, EGT board, turbo, etc... MS2extra3.1.1 currently
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

guhfluh wrote:
Tjabo wrote:... a few other delay values in the PCS controller made it quite feasible to control the 41te very well, but it was still a lot of work to get everything tuned well...
That is the ticket for controlling Chrysler's clutch-to-clutch electronic transmissions, including the RFE series. PCS no longer offers their controller for the Chrysler transmissions because of the intense tuning and tech support required after each sale. From what I have seen, it is simply the tuning of load vs rpm vs solenoid actuation timing that the MS controllers lack to control these transmissions correctly. It's all about the overlap timing, from what I understand.
If you have the time to help test development on this, it could proceed. It certainly seems to be a difficult transmission to control correctly. The GM boxes such as 4L80E are simple as the hydraulics do the actual selection.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

Is there a place describes what transmission control style the code currently can support? I am converting a friends drag DSM to MS3, and he is also interested in replacing the trans controller. These transmissions are generally known as "W4a33" or "F4a33."

Looks relatively standard, 2 shift solenoids, 1 pressure control, and TCC lockup.
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition
devojet
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by devojet »

I finally got my hot rod regisered 3 weeks ago running the trans code on a GPIO controlling an A340E Toyota gearbox. It works great.

James,

is it possible to get a copy of your latest version of the trans firmware with the new features discussed in this thread? Also CAN pass though doesn't work on the current version I'm using. ie I cant log or tune the engine MS2 if connected to the GPIO serial port. Has CAN pass through been fixed in the newer version? This would be very usefull for me as I use an LCDash which is connected to the MS2 and it would save me disconnecting the dash everytime I want to tune or datalog.

Cheers,

Daniel.
26 Chev hotrod with a 1UZFE and MS3x, Flex fuel, GPIO Transmission control and LCDash.
Twin turbo LS3 powered Race boat with MS3pro and GPIO.
MS2 on a 22r in a Hilux (mates car).
MS2extra on a turbo EF Falcon (brothers car).
Toyota Supra 1jz MS2extra, COP.
13B Turbo MS2extra.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I need to "dust the code off" and make sure it works nicely with the current MS2/Extra and MS3 code.

Please describe in more detail exactly what you are trying to do and what versions of firmware are on each device.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

devojet
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by devojet »

Hi James,

The ini signature is "Trans 00013 " but it should be the latest one you posted on the alpha page, I did make some changes to the firmware to suit my set up though. The MS2 is running version 3.2.1.

What I want to do is connect my laptop to the GPIOboard and be able to tune and log both the MS2 and the GPIO trans. I can tune both if I connect to the MS2 serial port but not the GPIO port.

Thanks

Daniel.
26 Chev hotrod with a 1UZFE and MS3x, Flex fuel, GPIO Transmission control and LCDash.
13B Turbo MS2extra.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Ah, sounds like the serial/CAN needs more work in the trans code then. Not a quick job, but will be done.

James

devojet
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by devojet »

That will be great.

Thanks
Daniel.
13B Turbo MS2extra.
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

devojet wrote:I finally got my hot rod regisered 3 weeks ago running the trans code on a GPIO controlling an A340E Toyota gearbox. It works great.
Daniel,

Congrats on getting your hot rod on the road!

I'm very interested in your project, since the A340E seems to be the same transmission as the AW4 used in Jeep Cherokees and some Grand Cherokees. This opens up different possible project for me since I'm tiring of working on the overly complex and difficult e39 540i/6.... :(

Regarding this trans controller software running your transmission, does it monitor line pressure, and if so, how is that input used in the control strategy?

Thanks, and again congratulations!!!

Thad
--'98 Dodge Neon ACR Turbo - MS3 beta test car - Sold
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
devojet
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by devojet »

The line pressure in my A340E uses a mechanical cable connected to the throttle. It does have something that affects shift speed but It doesn't seen to have much affect. still playing with that part.
13B Turbo MS2extra.
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Thanks for the info!

I can't wait to see some video of your hotrod when you are able to get some!
--'98 Dodge Neon ACR Turbo - MS3 beta test car - Sold
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
skalor
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by skalor »

I've been trying to use this for a 4T80e and I'm having trouble with the gear selector logic. Is there a way to change the gear range switch input logic?
knightrous
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by knightrous »

I'd like to look at going with a MegaShift on my Toyota MR2 AW11, which has a factory supercharged 4AGZE motor and A241E automatic transmission. The A241E looks dead simple to setup according to these solenoid truth tables and wiring diagrams, so I'm hoping it will be fairly easy to make work.

Since the Megashift infomation seems scattered through this thread and a couple of outdated manuals, is anyone able to help me with the following?

Hardware - What is the best hardware to use? Just repurpose an MS2-v3.57, buy a GPIO or buy a MicroSquirt?
Software - What is the latest firmware and are there any customisations I need to be aware of (specific ini files etc etc)
Development - What can I do to help aid development towards this project in general.
Features - I would like to implement the following
- Transmission temperature conditions (failsafes regards to transmission temps)
- Paddle shift / ratchet shifting
- Transmission modes (normal, power, paddle/ratchet shift)
Are these features currently implimented?

Thanks in advance :)
'89 Toyota MR2 AW11 - 1MZFE 3L V6 - Need to finish car before ecu :(
'89 Toyota MR2 AW11 - 16V 4AGZE - DIYPNP 1.5v
'90 Toyota MR2 SW20 - 1MZFE 3L V6 - MS3X
acab
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by acab »

Thats info about Alfa Romeo Selespeed Gearbox

Part 1
acab
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by acab »

Thats info about Alfa Romeo Selespeed Gearbox

Part 2
dredders
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dredders »

Hi.

Is this use of microsquirt ctrl still active [development] wise?

I downloaded the code & it looks like it was last modded late 2009.

I am currently doing lots of reading / scouring the net looking for info as I would like to control a Ford AODE box with it.
dredders
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dredders »

Hi.

Just a quick update, I now have added code to support the box [to match the shift patterns based on the data I have] & have it building fine.

This has been downloaded to a uSquirt & the tuner studio file modded [trans.ini] & they're talking to each other!!

Also 95% of the way to making the code 'eclipse' based project [all compiles & assembles, just needs to fix the linking]

Hopefully will get it wired to the gearbox at the weekend & start pre-flight checks [CAN comms to ECU etc.]

:-)