No cranking rpm and no spark with EDIS

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

No cranking rpm and no spark with EDIS

Post by woznaldo »

I have fitted my 'MS1 V2.2 running EDIS but I'm only planning on running it for spark duties at the moment.

I'm using the MS Relay Board together with my MS1. I've done a few checks with the results as follows:

VR Sensor cranking voltage 1.2v AC (tried reversing the polarity and only got 0.9v AC)
PIP output was giving 12.5v with the engine not running and 6.5v during cranking
SAW output was giving 0.01v with engine not running and 0.1v or less during cranking

I've tested my coil pack and primaries are giving 7.5 ohms secondaries 13.5 Kohms

msq attached and expecting something stupid!
Trying to make my Renault 5 GT Turbo a bit more driveable and a lot more reliable!

1988 Renault 5 GT Turbo MS2 Extra
1972 Datsun 510 - L18 on Twin Webers
1973 Jaguar XJ6 - 4.2 XK on std twin SUs, but plans to squirt in the near future...
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: No cranking rpm and no spark with EDIS

Post by jsmcortina »

As a first step with EDIS, don't even connect the ECU. Make sure the EDIS module and coils have power during cranking and crank away. You will get spark.

If you _don't_ get spark, then check your power wiring and sensor polarity. If not that, the try a different module.

Only once you have the EDIS sparking on its own should you hook up the Megasquirt.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by woznaldo »

I disconnected the EDIS Module from my MS but still haven't got any spark. I appear to have all the right voltages in place.

I measured my VR Sensor/Trigger Wheel gap and got 1.9mm, as I was only getting an output voltage of 1.2v AC. This seemed a little low so I elongated the mounting holes on my bracket to get a 1.2mm gap and now have 1.75v AC from the VR Sensor. Still no spark with MS disconnected from the EDIS Module.

I haven't swapped the polarity again as when I tried it last time the VR Sensor cranking voltage dropped from 1.2v AC to 0.9v AC.

Is my VR Sensor voltage (1.75v AC) still too low to get the EDIS to trigger?
Trying to make my Renault 5 GT Turbo a bit more driveable and a lot more reliable!

1973 Jaguar XJ6 - 4.2 XK on std twin SUs, but plans to squirt in the near future...
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I forget what the typical voltages are, but the normal airgap is around 1mm.

Do try swapping the VR sensor wires though.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by woznaldo »

Closed the gap right down to just under 1mm and now have a cranking voltage of 2.5v AC but still no spark. Swapped the polarity again and getting the same 2.5v AC but again, still no spark.

I got a secondhand EDIS4 Module to try but still no change. This is very frustrating!

It has to be the coil pack or HT leads?

woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by woznaldo »

I have checked pin 2 (12v supply) to coil pack and I have 12.5v with ignition of but, this drops to 2.5v with ignition on and 2.4v while cranking. Is this correct?

woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by woznaldo »

Quite clearly not! I have a partially mismarked relay! I thought I had (and the wire diagram on the side says) a STSP with two (87) outputs giving me two switched 12v outputs. What I actually have is SPST with NO and NC outputs (EDIS was wired to NC!). I was checking the NO output everytime so all appeared to be well?... :oops:

I now have spark! Woo Hoo!

Car has now fired but I think trigger wheel may be a little off from the required 90 deg BTDC as it idles for a few secs and then dies. I'll crack on with that one and post a new thread if I get stuck.

tutuur
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by tutuur »

Iirc you'll have to adjust after start enrichment if it dies, all in the manuals though.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Have you checked your timing with a strobe? That is a critical setup step.

James

woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by woznaldo »

James, for the strobe test to be valid wouldn't you need a fixed timing mark that was originally on the engine? Mine doesn't have one (that I can see).

I used the ignition trim function and using -3 and turned coolant correction off (not connected) and got it to idle with full choke, but it was very erratic.

Remember I'm still using the original carb for the time being, which I have rebuilt but, this means it is unproven and as such, could well be part of the problem. My AFR were around 14-15 but, I don't think that is accurate as black soot was spitting out of the exhaust!

I've not yet hooked up my Innovate LM-1 to MS so it is absent from the Data Log.

woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by woznaldo »

I have found that I do have timing marks! They're just hard to see.... With my Trigger Wheel set to 90 deg (which should be TDC) the flywheel timing mark is at 1.5 deg BTDC.

I have set the ignition advance trim to zero and got the car to start but I have to rev the engine a bit to get it warmed up then I could hold the engine at avery erratic 1100-1200 rpm. The engine was hunting for a little while after the first start and when I tried to lower the revs to 1000 rpm, he engine stalled.

After the second start attempt, the engine wasn't hunting anymore but the engine was still erratic and wouldn't idle without a little help.

I think I may have an air leak?

Also I've wired up my LM-1 but it seems to be very erratic too, jumping from 14 to 20+ AFRs which seems to conform with the above?

woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by woznaldo »

I forgot to attach the datalog.