New MS2 won't load firmware

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

New MS2 won't load firmware

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Hey guys I decided to finally upgrade my car from MS1 to MS2. I got a MS2 processor from DIY Autotune and put in the 12v jumper and relocated my sparkD. I have been trying to load 3.2.4 using it's loader but it just won't play. It searches the com ports but keeps coming back with no valid ports or ecu. I have it set the coms to 115.2K and have done a loop back from the chip socket. That all works as expected. I have tried with my usb to serial which works great for ms1 and I have also tried with my old straight serial port computer. Same situation. I have checked all the chip socket voltages and they are all correct. Nothing is hogging the com port. The MS2 came with the bootloader jumper over both pins. I have tried with the jumper on and off and that made no difference. When I power the MS up with my stim the 3 leds light up and stay on. I thought that if the bootloader is jumpered it is supposed to light up and the go off? I can't figure it out. Could this MS2 be blank with no bootloader installed? Anyone offer an old ms'er some help?
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: New MS2 won't load firmware

Post by rickb794 »

The boot loader jumper on the processor right?
Not the one on the board...
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

No not the one on the board, just the one on the MS2 processor.
Cheers Luke
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Try powering it up and running the Port Check program - the latest version will also detect MS2s with no firmare loaded if the bootloader is present. Let me know what you find.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Thanks Matt, I'll give that a try.

Tried Portcheck V2.1 and it recognised 1 valid port but no connection could be made.
Cheers Luke
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

That's the one that detects ones in bootloader mode. Do you have a screen shot of the results you could post?
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Here's the screenshot.

I disconnected the 12v jumper and reinstalled my ms1. The port checker found it and reported it as the correct firmware. I guess that means my hardware and serial connection should be fine.
Cheers Luke
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Are you using the ms2loader_win32.exe installer that comes with the new firmware?
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Yes, I am using the loader that came with the firmware. As best I can tell I followed all the instructions correctly.
Cheers Luke
SymTech Laboratories
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by SymTech Laboratories »

slow_hemi6 wrote:Hey guys I decided to finally upgrade my car from MS1 to MS2. I got a MS2 processor from DIY Autotune and put in the 12v jumper and relocated my sparkD. I have been trying to load 3.2.4 using it's loader but it just won't play. It searches the com ports but keeps coming back with no valid ports or ecu. I have it set the coms to 115.2K and have done a loop back from the chip socket. That all works as expected. I have tried with my usb to serial which works great for ms1 and I have also tried with my old straight serial port computer. Same situation. I have checked all the chip socket voltages and they are all correct. Nothing is hogging the com port. The MS2 came with the bootloader jumper over both pins. I have tried with the jumper on and off and that made no difference. When I power the MS up with my stim the 3 leds light up and stay on. I thought that if the bootloader is jumpered it is supposed to light up and the go off? I can't figure it out. Could this MS2 be blank with no bootloader installed? Anyone offer an old ms'er some help?
We just came across a brand new MS2 card that behaved the same way. You're correct in that the LED's typically flash once upon power up, then stay off. In our case, the LED's stayed on and the MS2 card couldn't be flashed. Ultimately, we had to load the serial monitor code via the BDM port -- it seems like the microcontroller on the card left the factory blank. Since you purchased your MS2 card from DIYAutoTune, we suggest contacting them privately for service/replacement.
SymTech Laboratories, LLC ----- MSQ File Repository: megasquirt.symtechlabs.com
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Fantastic, after searching and reading forum posts for a whole day. It does seem my new MS2 will make a great objet d'art for the coffee table as it obviously has no serial monitor on it.
Frustrating.
Cheers Luke
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Since Matt is subscribed to this topic, I have little doubt he will be contacting you tomorrow (it's almost midnight on this side of the planet! :D ) to arrange something.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

dontz125 wrote:Since Matt is subscribed to this topic, I have little doubt he will be contacting you tomorrow (it's almost midnight on this side of the planet! :D ) to arrange something.
Unfortunately, I don't have a good way to look up customers by forum names, or I would send an email right now. Please email me at websales@diyautotune.com and we can look up your order and arrange for a warranty replacement.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Thanks Matt.
Cheers Luke
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Update time. Firstly thanks to everyone who helped me. :D The postman delivered a BDM cable today and I loaded the serial monitor onto the MS2 successfully. Then used the loader that came with the firmware to put MS2 extra 3.2.4 onto it. Running on my old stim, Tuner Studio says all is good. :yeah!: Hopefully I'll be able to post in the success section soon.
Cheers Luke