k24a2 vvt

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

cukali
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: k24a2 vvt

Post by cukali »

Your ignition table is quiet a ways off.....if you want I can send you a .msq with a good spark table. All my K24 engines have Z3 heads on them and they all tuned out with the same spark table.

Except the turbo engines.

Give me all your mods and I will get you a good spark map.

You will need a second ignition table and fuel table with switching set to VTEC selenoid. I will get you a timing table for that one also.

I will get you a .msq to try. I will set up your high cam spark and fuel with table switching to a GPIO of your choice. Connect this GPIO to your VTEC selenoid.

Message me, I will get you my phone# or we can do it on SKYPE.

Robert.
cukali
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by cukali »

Check for errors.

Give this a try.

Youll have to tune both fuel maps but they should be close.
neslider
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by neslider »

Looking for a little direction. I'm putting a box stock K24A2 ivtec in a stripped down Porsche 911 chassis w/ the stock 5 speed transaxle. Which megasquirt would be required at a minimum to make the swap work. Basically I need for the engine to function as a stand alone unit as if it were being bench tested out of the car. I have modified the dash to utilize the stock Honda gauges from the 04 Accord coupe donor car and have the entire salvage car at my disposal for all needed electronics and connectors. This is strictly a curiosity venture to get +35mpg from the car so cost is a factor (why I've ruled out hondata or hybrid racing components) Also any information on programming parameters for a stock setup are hard to find because everyone seems to be swapping heads and turbo charging. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Barton
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Barton »

Ms3 + ms3x or ms3pro to drive the i vtec completely
Megasquirted engines: 4g63, k24a2, b16-b18, duratec, ecotec, fiat 8v-16v, modular 4.6 32v, 1fz-fe, fiat 5cil 20v, Opel corsa, G54B, VW AG, 2ZZ-GE.
https://www.facebook.com/Bartonefi
instagram: @bartonefi
juansh2385
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by juansh2385 »

did you figure out the cop question and I am sorry but that video does not prove what you think that is not the correct way to test PHASE in a engine when choosing firing order. Please try the recommendation that we gave you I am confident you have phase problems.
Barton
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Barton »

I have not been able to test those recommendations because we pulled out the engine to improve some things, but I have test a lot of things, add 360º, checked the timing light when cranking in cop mode but even there didn't worked a LOT of things and non of them worked, I'll give you updates next week.

thanks for your interest
Megasquirted engines: 4g63, k24a2, b16-b18, duratec, ecotec, fiat 8v-16v, modular 4.6 32v, 1fz-fe, fiat 5cil 20v, Opel corsa, G54B, VW AG, 2ZZ-GE.
nuk1ear
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by nuk1ear »

Did you guys ever move forward with this? Im also considering trying my MS3+msx on my K24/k20 frank engine (same as cukali's engines). Im worried about a few things and wondered if anyone could post up a complete TS setup file (all triggers and settings set for VTC and VTEC/maps etc).

Im not sure how the MS works with map switching for VTEC and if you can set a vtec window like OEM (so RPM window as well as load window, not just a static switching point). And does the MS code have a built in trigger setup for the honda k engines now? Just select, then check timing/adjust offset and its ok?

Let me know if any of you guys can help!
Barton
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Barton »

Yes ot course the control is no as pefect as I would want but the engine runs perfectly and has very good power.

The problems are: the vvt does not detect the intake angle smoothly, to get a good pid control you need a lot of work but if you could drive the car you'll love it.

You dont need static vvt angle or second map for vtec (nonetheless this one is possible) to get a very good tuned engine.
nuk1ear
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by nuk1ear »

i thought you would need 2 maps for each fuel/spark/VTCangle due to the vtec overlap area (if you tune a vtec window instead of a static switching point)
Barton
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Barton »

Well you are right but if you want to have another map for other fuel you could solve the problem adding more resolution where the vtec engages and the engine behaves as you spect.
nuk1ear
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by nuk1ear »

Thanks Barton.
would you be able to post up your latest setup file? Im wanting to study up as much as possible the entire setup as well as the tune itself.

What makes you feel the VTC angle detection is not as smooth as you want? Surely it should be possible to get the same accuracy as the stock honda ECU no? I saw someone elses video on youtube of VTC actual -> request on one gauge (using megasquirt of course) and it was pretty much as I expected, slightly behind the request but still pretty accurate and not overshooting dangerously.
nuk1ear
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by nuk1ear »

Hi Barton, been a while, wondering if you could possibly upload a setup file for me to look at. Getting closer to being able to try this again so really curious how to make the VTC work accurately.
Barton
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Barton »

Hello, here is the msq the engine runs great but there are a few details to solve related with the MS.

The reference vtc angle spikes.
I cannot go to sequential spark because simply the engie does not start.
when you start the engine the MS needs few seconds below 2500 rpm to work properly if not it looses sync.
nuk1ear
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by nuk1ear »

sounds like something is definitely wrong. Any ideas what is causing your issues? Also did you remove the teeth on one of the cam shafts for your reference angle?
Barton
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Barton »

nuk1ear wrote:sounds like something is definitely wrong. Any ideas what is causing your issues? Also did you remove the teeth on one of the cam shafts for your reference angle?
No I did not, because I'm waiting for James because he helped me with this project a while ago, and is better for the MS to have full control with the oem triggers, a lot of people won't go with MS because they are scare to chop a tooth from the trigger
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Isn't this topic the same as: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 31&t=48517 ?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Barton
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Barton »

Yes it is, but this time is about the vvt
revvhappy
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by revvhappy »

I hate to dredge up old threads but there's just not a lot of information available on the K24A2 and this one has more people who seem to have figured something out.

I have a k24a2 running in a MkII Supra endurance race car on MS3. I wonder if anyone would share a well running msq file so I can reference the vvt and ignition tables. I've scoured Hondata information and the MS3 doesn't have the same vvt resolution available for low and high cams.

A K20a2 file would probably get me close also.
revvhappy
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by revvhappy »

A note to anyone who finds this thread. It's December of 2020. I know that this is a VVT thread but some of the issues noted here may be ignition-related, and I spent months searching for answers.

There is a glitch in the software of the MS3 that affects ignition timing for the K24. Symptoms are exactly as described in this thread - lack of power especially in the low-mid rpm, and possibly the issues with initial timing. I found a tuner who added a "supplemental" ignition table that provides 20 degrees of additional ignition advance across the board and my engine came alive (at least 40 hp and 40 lb-ft from 1500-6000 rpm). I hope to work with DIY Autotune for a software update in the near future.

Original tune on DIY dyno (Dynapak):

Baseline (dotted, original tune) vs new tune with additional advance (Mustang dyno)

And back on the DIY dyno with new tune:

Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

Can you post the tune?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.