USB-serial adapter compatability list

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Marek
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: USB-serial adapter compatability list

Post by Marek »

I have used one of these between MS3 and TS 2.2+ and Win7
No brand name

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 277wt_1128

kind regards
Marek
Moving_Target
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Moving_Target »

IOGear GUC232A connected to an ACER Aspire 5742-6858 laptop running Win7 is working fine for me here.
1993 BMW 318is with a 5.0 SBF TFS H/C/I engine and Tremec T5 transmission aka a BimmerStang
MS2 Extra running batch fire and TFI ignition
Currently solving teething issues and tuning
Streetking
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Streetking »

My experience - none is working while laptop inside car,as soon as I move laptop to car roof it's running no problems.. tried HP and brand new Sony Vaio laptops, it looks they are poorly shielded, I shielded the adapter in aluminum, makes no difference,once laptop inside TS goes offline. Bought old laptop which has serial port,problems gone ;)
crazy3rdgen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by crazy3rdgen »

Anyone noticing their previous firmware with a serial USB converter that used to work great no longer working correctly with the latest firmware after updating? Having weird online/offline issues without the engine even running after upgrading from an old firmware. I have the 6' gigaware serial USB converter.
Per J
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Per J »

Yes my Aten usb adapter is no longer working correctly.. Goes offline and online shortly after every 20 sec approx..

/per
luckythirteen13
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by luckythirteen13 »

The one sold by diyautotune.com works perfect on my windows 8 computer. Took a whole 30 seconds to install the drivers
travm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by travm »

Just built a ms2 and the Dev11814 from Sparkfun I had lying around works great.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11814
--
Trav
ms2extra, v3, Rover 4.6l
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

Someone here sells racepack usb/rs232 adapters. Are these any good ?
kingcrunch
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by kingcrunch »

luckythirteen13 wrote:The one sold by diyautotune.com works perfect on my windows 8 computer. Took a whole 30 seconds to install the drivers
X2 on Win 7 64bit running on a HP Elitebook.
Juan_Pa
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Juan_Pa »

nice thread... Im using a Steren Profilic 2303-HXA chip under windows 8, no problem..
1vayl0Pavl0v
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 1vayl0Pavl0v »

Works perfect with MS2 => HAMA USB-RS232 53325
Davie Sprocket
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Davie Sprocket »

Just getting back in to building my efi setup for my camaro. Its been awhile since I connected to the ms2-v3.0 board, my usb to serial dongle didn't work. Thanks to other guys that have posted here and the how to for usb, I didn't want to cut the traces from the max232 chip, so I pulled the chip off the v3 board and wired a cheap pl2303 d-sun usb to ttl that I had lying around for arduino. Works great and its fast. If anyone is building a board don't install the max232 or what ever serial to ttl chip that comes with your kit. Install a usb to ttl convertor they are all over the arduino sites and can be had for 5 to 10 bucks.
71 Camaro SS clone, 406 SBC. Dart Iron Eagle Heads, Comp cams,TH400 Trans, Diyautotune 36-1 wheel and pickup,TTR Ign Sys MS2-MS3expansion Board.
jrods2
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jrods2 »

I've got the DIY usb 2920 adapter. I've been working with it steady for about 2 weeks and it's hit or miss. Usually start computer with it plugged in and then pull up TS and maybe it'll connect maybe not. All I know is it is not dependable enough to use for going for a ride to tune. If everybody will post an opinion for what they think is the best I will decipher the data and purchase that adapter. Thanx USE THE QUOTE FEATURE TO RESPOND
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Quick note on the MicroConnectors dual USB adapter, killed two, doesn't seem to like 5V on pin 9 of the serial connector
(to provide power for BT)

Installed a connector saver and broke off pin 9, no issues with the latest one. (need to remove the 5v jumper, will eventually)

Works on Win 98r2>Win10 and all Linux since kernel 2.4.0, MS1/2/3.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

jrods2 wrote:I've got the DIY usb 2920 adapter. I've been working with it steady for about 2 weeks and it's hit or miss. Usually start computer with it plugged in and then pull up TS and maybe it'll connect maybe not. All I know is it is not dependable enough to use for going for a ride to tune. If everybody will post an opinion for what they think is the best I will decipher the data and purchase that adapter. Thanx USE THE QUOTE FEATURE TO RESPOND
Turn your update rate down. If higher than machine can handle, it will drop out and reconnect randomly.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
Jazracing
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Jazracing »

I have been using this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006PI ... ge_o04_s00

It seems to connect to my Microsquirt just fine.
jrods2
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jrods2 »

jsmcortina wrote:Please post here results on USB-serial adapter.

Keep this topic "clean", any off-topic ramblings will be split or deleted. I'll aim to compile the reports into one sticky once data has been collected.

I'll start.

"Prolific 2303" seems to work fine @115200 with Windows and Linux.

FTDI232 based serial - works ok. Used by Spectre in the EMS-Pro unit. Positive feedback from 6040solder

James
Hey James, I'm having trouble connecting again. If I change the port number to a brand new number From 1 To 2 I can connect only once to that port(2). I've gone threw to port 13 and it's the same every time. new port connect only once to it. I'm thinking I got a bad computer. I've moved the cable a couple of times & got an instant disconnect but if left alone it will disconnect by itself. I changed to a friends computer and was able to connect for 6 hrs. Now I'm looking at buying a new computer but I found a refurbished Dell with a DB 9 connector windows 7 & upgradable to windows 10, it's only and hundred bucks but I'm thinking that I will load everything on to it then disconnect from the internet and dedicate it just for the mega squirt. it's a tower computer so I won't be able to do a drive & tune. Can you give me some advice on this topic?
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

In Windows, go into device manager, open the driver prefs, and set the com port number for the device.
It will stop moving, guaranteed.

I ran into something like this once under Linux, but it started working properly again almost as soon as I noticed, could have been a tuner studio or kernel update that fixed it.

Buy a used Thinkpad.
Real RS232 ports aren't all that, and have their own set of fun issues.
A decent real FTDI or Prolific (not a counterfeit, sadly common) USB adapter is a huge improvement as far as Megasquirt is concerned.
MS3 has the FTDI adapter built in.
damo99
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by damo99 »

i run the prolific tech pl2303 on windows 10
it works great
welcome to the internet ,where men are men, women are men and little girls and boys are FBI agents
injected 5.7 mitubishi triton
61 kombi 2270 type 4 microsquirt
tf cortina 302 windsor
66 shovel nose corona 18rg twin cam
cdesigns
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by cdesigns »

Radio Shack Gigaware USB to Serial (white cable with big square bump at the end) only works with Firmware 3.2.5 or below.

I tried all the firmwares and it will disconnect by itself if using firmwares higher than 3.2.5.