Ignition Sweep Plugin?

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Ignition Sweep Plugin?

Post by Rick Finsta »

Could a TunerStudio plugin be used to sweep ignition timing over a certain range during dyno testing? I'd like to automate the process if possible to save time. I figure this would be pretty popular but I am not sure I understand enough about code to write one. Okay, I'm pretty sure I don't know much at all about code!
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Ignition Sweep Plugin?

Post by LT401Vette »

Yes. In a plugin you can access all the OutputChannels and ECU settings and set them if you want.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

Great! Now I guess I need to learn Java? :RTFM:

I think this would be useful to perform steady state MBT testing even at high rpm and load as it would not take long to load the engine, start the program, and then sweep 5-10 degrees over a few seconds and then power down to keep temperatures and wear/tear down. You could map your entire WOT curve within 10-15 minutes if temperatures behave, and with E85 I have no reason to believe they won't.
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

Okay I've started to look through what is necessary to create a plugin and I don't even understand most of the terminology, so unless someone else wants to tackle this it is a no-go. I just don't have time to learn programming in addition to my other 18.5 hobbies!
sikrip
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by sikrip »

I am Java programmer and I would like to play with TS plugins.

I have little knowledge on tuning thought (I just started reading/learning now to tune my car).

Could you desrcibe how the "Ignition Sweep Plugin" should work?
-George
DIYPNP / 4AGZE / AW11 MR2
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

Sure! I was having a conversation with dieselgeek over on another forum about this, and he indicated MS3 already has this capability, and obviously you can manually punch the numbers up and down with the shortcut keys, but this is what I had in mind.

The plugin turns off ignition corrections (like the CLT or boost-based retards) when active and grabs the directed spark angle off the the ignition map for whatever bin the engine is in in real time. It displays this as something like "reference spark angle." It then takes inputs for "sweep range," "start offset," "sweep time," and perhaps has an enable/disable knock detection selection (for those with sensors). When you press a "start" button (after the dyno operator has the engine loaded to the desired state) it displays the commanded spark as it sweeps.

So the popup box for the GUI would look like this:

Reference Spark Angle [31* BTDC]

Sweep Range [10*]
Start Offset [-6*]
Sweep Time (s) [10]

Knock Safety Enable? [NO]

Commanded Spark Angle: [25*] BTDC

[START] [PAUSE] [STOP] [UPDATE TABLE] [CLOSE]

In the case above, the spark table bin for the current load state is 31* BTDC. When the start button is pushed, it would go to 25* BTDC (31* minus 6*) and then sweep up to 35* BTDC over ten seconds, while displaying the actual commanded spark angle. If you press PAUSE it holds the current angle, and stop sets it back to the table value. Once START is pressed, there would need to be some kind of safety to ensure that if the dyno let the engine wander into another bin with a significantly different timing value, it would stop the sweep and allow the table to take control again. Maybe also put in a "max commanded angle" to allow you to move to higher reference angles without going over a certain maximum (for instance, if the reference angle in the example above was 35* BTDC but would didn't want to go above 38* BTDC you could put that as a maximum and the sweep would run from 29* BTDC to 38* BTDC over eight seconds (still use the commanded total sweep time as if it would complete the sweep even if it will cut it off at 38* BTDC).

Using this method you could start the sweep, and when the dyno operator sees the torque level off, you press PAUSE, then press "UPDATE TABLE" and the value is put into the table. Otherwise you could let it run its course, and then the dyno operator tells you how many seconds into the sweep it hit MBT, and you manually put that into the table. It would give some flexibility for different dyno systems and operators.

Then the dyno operator can simply go to the next load point without waiting and you can just hit the START button again as soon as it stabilizes, as it will already be pulling the new number off the ignition table and be ready to run with the same parameters.

Rinse and repeat.

I realize this isn't necessary as it can be done manually (kind of a PITA on my tablet with popup on-screen keypad, but still it can be done). I just thought this might speed up the process for those of us who are using cooling-system limited chassis dynos.
sikrip
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by sikrip »

Nice, I will start working on this (in my spare time so I cannot promise a specific timeline :) ).

Maybe I can test it at ilde, sweeping from 15 to 25 degrees.
-George
DIYPNP / 4AGZE / AW11 MR2
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

If you can walk me through plugging it in to TS (when you get that far) I could also test it on the stim and at idle in my setup. Let me know if you have any other questions, and thanks for offering to help!*

*By help of course I mean do all the work... :lol:
BigBlockMopar
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by BigBlockMopar »

Dragging up this topic from past, 'cause I found it while searching for similar requests.

I've been driving around for a couple of weeks now with my fresh MS3x install, and like to think I have my ignition table kinda in the ballpark as for Cruise, economy and light throttle situations.

But now, I'm finding I would like to fine-tune certain areas (cruise & light acceleration) of the IGN-table and came up with a similar idea that I also read here, and also saw on the following YouTube-clip;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35bZTekQGE8

The above clip is very close to what I would like to be able to use as a tuning tool in TS.
Only difference would be instead of on a dyno, I would want to use it for street tuning during steady rpms on long flat and/or inclined roads.

With a remote button in hand, while driving on a suitable stretch of road, I would like to press the button, keep the throttle steady, and TS starts varying timing in the cells used by a couple of degrees, looking for an increase in engine RPM / decrease in load/vacuum.

If I had a dyno to test on, I'm sure I would be very pleased to have this function to fine-tune the IGN-map with.
Daily driver: 1973 Dodge Dart - 360ci engine - 11.3:1cr - MS3x - ignition only. 42RH/A500 OD+LU transmission / 3.23 gears
--------------
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BigBlockMopar
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

This didn't end up going anywhere but I'd still love to have it available as an option. It is easy enough to do manually but I'd prefer to have one button to press so I'm not wasting time on a dyno and wearing the engine for nothing. I like the idea of doing this at steady state and looking for an indication of torque increase, but I think it'd only really be possible with a drive by wire setup where you can remove human interaction with the accelerator.
BigBlockMopar
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by BigBlockMopar »

I think this option would be nice to have as a TunerStudio plugin, so only those who see the benefit of it can install it, and by default leave it out for others who possibly might do more harm than good with it.

Has anyone ever actually made a plugin for TunerStudio?
Is there a repository or database somewhere to be found of available plugins to browse through?
Daily driver: 1973 Dodge Dart - 360ci engine - 11.3:1cr - MS3x - ignition only. 42RH/A500 OD+LU transmission / 3.23 gears
--------------
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BigBlockMopar
silverbullet99
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by silverbullet99 »

I am using Holley EFI on my personal car, and put together this Advanced Table to do a timing sweep and is activated by a toggle switch.

Mike
Attachments
Holley Timing Sweep
Holley Timing Sweep
Timing Sweep.JPG (59.33 KiB) Viewed 591 times
Valeriy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Valeriy »

Has anyone ever actually made a plugin for TunerStudio?
Is there a repository or database somewhere to be found of available plugins to browse through? I really need this can anyone help? :cry: