built my JimStim

Building and using the Stimulator to test your Megasquirt

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

sen2two
MS/Extra Newbie

built my JimStim

Post by sen2two »

I just completed my JimStim build. This was my "practice" run before building my MS. I'm not 100% sure on what to do next. I'm a welder/machinist that is just getting into the tuning/electronic side of building.

The problem for me is, I get a little lost in the technical terms. I still don't know the difference between a diode, resistor, or shunts. I google them for definitions, but they just aren't fully saved in my brain yet. It's a lot to take in right now for this noobie.

so....

Now that I have a completed JimStim sitting in front of me... Where do I go from here? I'm somewhat lost on how to set the wire jumpers and shunts. Is this the same for all JimStim/MS users, or will my jumper/shunt set up be different from another's because of what engine I'll be using it on?
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: built my JimStim

Post by Laminar »

I'm not sure if you've found this yet, but here's the JimStim setup page, it will show you how to configure the JimStim to simulate your setup.
sen2two
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by sen2two »

Also, I do not have a power supply that plugs from the wall. Can I just use the 9v battery connection? I believe that goes into the blue block in the upper right hand corner of the board. with the + and - marks marked t the right of it on the board itself.
sen2two
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by sen2two »

Laminar wrote:I'm not sure if you've found this yet, but here's the JimStim setup page, it will show you how to configure the JimStim to simulate your setup.

I did read through it. But I got a little lost. I am unsure on what to do after going through it.
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

sen2two wrote:
Laminar wrote:I'm not sure if you've found this yet, but here's the JimStim setup page, it will show you how to configure the JimStim to simulate your setup.

I did read through it. But I got a little lost. I am unsure on what to do after going through it.
Set the DIP switches to match your desired ignition wheel, set the primary tach jumper in either the VR or Hall position (depending on how you're going to build your MS), then set the WideBand jumper. If you're not using the JimStimX, that's all you need to do. Get building your MS and test it!
sen2two
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by sen2two »

cool thanks.

I have 3 jumper wires. Red, green, and grey. I can't see why they would be, but are they different in any way? I feel better asking than guessing.

Also, how does a rookie like me know if I have VR or hall type ignition?

Do I use the shunts to connect the WB02, or is this for the wire jumpers as well?
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

sen2two wrote:cool thanks.

I have 3 jumper wires. Red, green, and grey. I can't see why they would be, but are they different in any way? I feel better asking than guessing.

Also, how does a rookie like me know if I have VR or hall type ignition?

Do I use the shunts to connect the WB02, or is this for the wire jumpers as well?
The wires are the same, just easier to keep track of when they're different colors. I used a shunt on the WB O2 header pins.

Generally speaking, a 2-wire sensor is a VR, a 3-wire is a Hall. The MS manuals cover it pretty well. I studied wiring diagrams for my engine and figured out that my crank sensor was VR (saw crank+ and crank- signals) and my cam sensor was Hall (ground, +12V, and signal wires).
sen2two
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by sen2two »

Thanks!

So since a Google search showed my car being a hall sensor. I put the shunt on the 2 lower header pins on the primary tach area. And also used a shunt on the wb02 header pin. I would rather not have wires sticking out and looping around if possible.

Thanks for the help.