Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Jazracing
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Subaru EZ30 Ignition Set Up

Post by Jazracing »

36+2+2.csv
Hello,

I have been working on setting up an EZ30D with a Microsquirt. I am currently trying to check all of my sensors. I know my cam sensor isn't working correctly, but we are going to rewire that. The problem I don't understand is why I am getting such weird readings from my logging of ignition. I am using the 36+2+2+2, just like I have read before. I am not sure this is correct though. From my understanding, I should only be seeing the single spike, but I am getting 3 instead.

I have attached my latest log and msq.
36+2+2.csv
2015-07-22_19.50.24.msq
Jazracing
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Subaru EZ30 Ignition Set Up

Post by Jazracing »

Post 17 here:
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 01&t=26777

has a picture of the wheel.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

6cyl 36-2-2-2 uses a different version of the wheel it seems, the number of teeth between the "-2" regions is different (why?!?)

MS2/Extra does not presently support 6cyl 36-2-2-2

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Jazracing
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Jazracing »

Does that mean I messed up in my research, and there is no way to run this engine with this ECU?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

We only recently discovered that the 6cyl Subaru uses a different type of 36-2-2-2.

MS3 already has some support for that wheel, so it may be possible to back-port that to MS2.

As with any engine, if there's an option to retrofit a standard wheel (such as 36-1) then that's a known working fall-back position.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Jazracing
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Jazracing »

Retrofitting would be somewhat of a nightmare due to the location of the wheel. I may be able to have another wheel made though. Any idea if there is someone working on porting the code, or how to do it? If I were to make a wheel, would 36-1 be the best option? If I were to make a 36-1, would it even support my cam sensor?
Jazracing
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Jazracing »

I have a friend that's a CS major. Is there anywhere that he can read about the way the MS code works so that he could potentially alter it himself?
gearhead
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by gearhead »

I'm not sure about microsquirt but I am running MS3X on the same engine. I literally just got it started and haven't spent enough time to get things ironed out, but it does run.

I am using the subaru 36-2-2-2 vvt wheel setting, with wasted COP and batch fire injection. Not sure if you have those options but it's a start.

I have not been able to fine any information other than the wheel we have is not supported. I figured I'd give it a shot. At this point it looks like it will take some coding to get the cam sensor to sync, but I figured I could gather the trigger logs and send them to whomever that would be.

I'm sure there are others that are interested in the EZ30 so what exactly is needed to take this to the next step?
Jazracing
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Jazracing »

gearhead wrote:I'm not sure about microsquirt but I am running MS3X on the same engine. I literally just got it started and haven't spent enough time to get things ironed out, but it does run.

I am using the subaru 36-2-2-2 vvt wheel setting, with wasted COP and batch fire injection. Not sure if you have those options but it's a start.

I have not been able to fine any information other than the wheel we have is not supported. I figured I'd give it a shot. At this point it looks like it will take some coding to get the cam sensor to sync, but I figured I could gather the trigger logs and send them to whomever that would be.

I'm sure there are others that are interested in the EZ30 so what exactly is needed to take this to the next step?

I don't have the option for the Subaru specific wheel setting. Does anyone know if the hardware on the Micro would support this setting? Even WITH the crank sensor working, you still can't use the cam sensor? Does it run alright with just the crank sensor for timing? Just asking because it's looking like I have gotten myself into a bind. I was planning on using the Micro to get my car up and running again, and I am just now (after spending all the money and getting ready to start it) finding out that the crank sensor isn't supported by the Micro.
gearhead
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by gearhead »

James would probably know best what your options are with Microsquirt. It seems to be running OK for me, but like I said I just got it running (last night actually) and it was probably running for 5 min before I had to call it quits. I don't really have a tune for it so it is basically idling with fixed timing and ballpark fuel right now. It seems like it is going to run fine though and I have no sync issues. I attempted to run sequential back when I was testing things, but I got all sorts of sync errors which kinda indicated that the cam sensor wasn't right or going to work. I also have not adjusted the pots for the cam pickup, but when I capture the log it seemed to pickup both crank and cam OK. I'm just guessing but I think the wheel option I'm running is actually for a 4 cylinder Subaru and the cam sensor is different. I've had very limited time to mess with it though.

Also, I'm not at home so I can't upload my log or compare with what your seeing.
Jazracing
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Jazracing »

gearhead wrote:James would probably know best what your options are with Microsquirt. It seems to be running OK for me, but like I said I just got it running (last night actually) and it was probably running for 5 min before I had to call it quits. I don't really have a tune for it so it is basically idling with fixed timing and ballpark fuel right now. It seems like it is going to run fine though and I have no sync issues. I attempted to run sequential back when I was testing things, but I got all sorts of sync errors which kinda indicated that the cam sensor wasn't right or going to work. I also have not adjusted the pots for the cam pickup, but when I capture the log it seemed to pickup both crank and cam OK. I'm just guessing but I think the wheel option I'm running is actually for a 4 cylinder Subaru and the cam sensor is different. I've had very limited time to mess with it though.

Also, I'm not at home so I can't upload my log or compare with what your seeing.

That's fair enough. I appreciate the replies. We tried changing the code for the MS2/Extra last night, but it didn't change anything. When you log, do you remember if it shows a single spike like is shown in the manual, or if it has 3 different spikes? From what I can tell, it should only show the one, but I get 3 spikes; one for each tooth gap. I am also getting a lot of sync loss counts, but it doesn't seem like it's counting fast enough to be the crank, so I'm kind of confused on that. Also, how did you wire your cam sensor? I have my wired, but it's not working at the moment. I think I know how to fix it, but if yours is working, it'd be great to have a known-working method.

Thanks
gearhead
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by gearhead »

Jazracing wrote:
gearhead wrote:James would probably know best what your options are with Microsquirt. It seems to be running OK for me, but like I said I just got it running (last night actually) and it was probably running for 5 min before I had to call it quits. I don't really have a tune for it so it is basically idling with fixed timing and ballpark fuel right now. It seems like it is going to run fine though and I have no sync issues. I attempted to run sequential back when I was testing things, but I got all sorts of sync errors which kinda indicated that the cam sensor wasn't right or going to work. I also have not adjusted the pots for the cam pickup, but when I capture the log it seemed to pickup both crank and cam OK. I'm just guessing but I think the wheel option I'm running is actually for a 4 cylinder Subaru and the cam sensor is different. I've had very limited time to mess with it though.

That's fair enough. I appreciate the replies. We tried changing the code for the MS2/Extra last night, but it didn't change anything. When you log, do you remember if it shows a single spike like is shown in the manual, or if it has 3 different spikes? From what I can tell, it should only show the one, but I get 3 spikes; one for each tooth gap. I am also getting a lot of sync loss counts, but it doesn't seem like it's counting fast enough to be the crank, so I'm kind of confused on that. Also, how did you wire your cam sensor? I have my wired, but it's not working at the moment. I think I know how to fix it, but if yours is working, it'd be great to have a known-working method.

Thanks
I didn't get a chance to get to this last night, but if I remember I was getting 3 as well, seemed like every tooth on the wheel. Do you have the option to go batch fire with wasted spark? That should ignore the cam sensor.

As for wiring I am using pin 2 & 3. Pin 3 sig, 2 is sensor ground and 1 is 12v. I think. I tied the cam and crank sensor shields together to the ms sensor ground. Are you using the factory harness?
Jazracing
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Jazracing »

I am running batch fire with wasted spark. Funny part is, we got it to throw spark for a bit last night, but as soon as it was turned off and back on again, it stopped working.
gearhead
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by gearhead »

Have you tested for spark by just using the ignition test just to verify everything is wired correct. I would think that it would sync and fire the way you have it setup, but what do I know.

I haven't read much about MegaLogViewer at this point to really know what I'm doing, but I can see a slight difference in our logs. I will have to go back to capture a complete log, as i only have the composite log at this time. At least I assume that's the difference between the CSV and the MSL. The view of the trigger wheels from tunerstudio is quite different than MLV. Do I really need to buy the full version of MegaLogViewer to see the composite log like it looks in tuner studio or am I just doing something wrong?

Anyway, attached what I had saved.
Jazracing
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Jazracing »

Everything works correctly in test modes. I wouldn't know about MLV, as I thought you had to buy it before you could use it, so I just bought it with TS. I'm at work, so I can't really look at your logs, but I will as soon as I get home. Thanks for posting them. What is confusing us the most is that we get great spark until the ECU is power-cycled. Well, that, and we haven't figured out why timing doesn't adjust using the trigger wizard, or even doing it manually.
Jazracing
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Jazracing »

New log. ECU still resets for some unknown reason. Can any of the devs help me with this? The car acts like it really wants to start, and I have gotten cylinders to pop off several times, but to no avail. It would really help if I could figure out this ECU reset thing.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

That log shows the code failing to sync properly, but I do not see any sort of resetting in that log. It sounds like the wheel decoder mods you have aren't quite spot-on.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Jazracing
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Jazracing »

James helped me out. Gearhead, you have a decent base tune yet? Just to be a little safer for me to get my car on the road? Started it up with my wideband hooked up, and it's idling at 22:1 AFR with the original base map that comes on the uS.
flatlander_2k5
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by flatlander_2k5 »

Jazracing wrote:James helped me out. Gearhead, you have a decent base tune yet? Just to be a little safer for me to get my car on the road? Started it up with my wideband hooked up, and it's idling at 22:1 AFR with the original base map that comes on the uS.
Also needing a base tune, mine got wiped somehow trying to get the car to idle & run
gearhead
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by gearhead »

Jazracing, are things working out? Were you able to run fully sequential with the changes to the code?

I'm just getting back on my project. I've pulled everything from the donor car and working on getting things setup in its new home.