72 Blazer

General talk about successes. See older information on MSRUNS forum.
Tonka
MS/Extra Newbie

72 Blazer

Post by Tonka »

Hi all,

I've been working on fuel injection for a couple years now. My wife bought me my first MS kit for Christmas 2013 (MS 2 v3.0). I now have it assembled and running (very well) on my 1972 4x4 Blazer. The engine is a later model small block (1998 or so) with roller cam and vortec heads. The engine is freshly rebuilt (currently 14000 miles). It was only barely broken in when I started the EFI conversion. My kids and I built the engine in our garage. The injection is via a Holley 670 cfm two barrel TBI.

I've spent tons of time reading and tuning and I'm finally comfortably able to say it's a total success. Don't get me wrong, it's been running reliably for almost all of the last two years. Exactly one year ago I made a 1500 mile round trip from my home in Texas to my old stomping grounds in far north Missouri to do some hunting and it made that trip without a glitch. Pulled down a high of almost 14 mpg and started with nothing more than a single turn of the key down to 5 degrees F. Don't laugh at the mileage, it has 35" tires, 4" lift, 3.73 gears and a three speed (no od) trans. I cruise at 3000 rpm. 14 is probably the best this truck has ever seen. I've been through several iterations starting with fuel only on B&G code, then to extra code and spark control. I'm currently using all the features that I know of including cl idle control, ego, and eae. They all seem to be working seamlessly and the truck is an absolute pleasure to drive.

I'm leaving next week for the "annual" hunting trip and this time I'm taking my 14 year old copilot and tuner. I'm really looking forward to this years trip. The only thing haunting me right now (which hasn't been a problem in past) is a cold start surge that starts after ASE and lasts for a minute or so. I may post a question about that in the tuning section.

Well that's my story. It's been a great learning experience and I'm thrill to say I built it, I tuned it, and I understand it.
Last edited by Tonka on Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 72 Blazer

Post by R100RT »

Excellent, some photos are in order :D
Lorne
1983 BMW R100RT Motorbike
Turbocharged - Water/Meth
Sequential Ignition & Fuel
"Perky Sleeper" that excites bike enthusiasts once discovered (or being passed)
Newest project - 1995 BMW K75 is V3 Microsquirt, "Turbocharger - Of Course"
racerron
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by racerron »

That's good mileage on those big tires
Tonka
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Tonka »

I'm going to try posting some pics. It'll be a shame if I can figure out fuel injection but not how to post a pic. I've been lurking around this board for a long time and I've even posted some questions and stuff but I've not posted any pics.

Yep....it's a shame. Excuse me for a bit while I figure out how to do this.

It says file size is too big. I'm on an iPad and haven't messed with resizing any photos so I'll have to figure that out. I would really like photos to show up in the body of the post. I can't remember the trick to that. Stay tuned!
Tonka
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Tonka »

Tonka
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Tonka »

This is during the build. All the wiring is cleaned up and tidy now (and has been for years) I do run the relay board and have not had any problems out of it.
Last edited by Tonka on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tonka
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Tonka »

As you may have noticed I have figured out how to post photos and I am practicing....and quite enjoying myself!
Tonka
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Tonka »

Just thought I would update this thread and stop in for a refresh. This truck and its MS are still going strong. No major changes. Just got back from an almost 2000 mile trip this time and still working without a hitch and pulling down great fuel mileage all things considered. All I've done to it that I recall is some minor tuning tweaks. It's rock solid reliable just like you would expect a fuel injected engine to be. I've considered switching to mpfi instead of tbi but I can't hardly justify the cost and time it would take...especially since I have vortec heads. Manifold selection is limited. It runs so well as it is I'll probably leave it. There is always the urge to tinker though....
jrods2
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jrods2 »

Bless yourself with a son to share with.
Really enjoyed your story.
jrods2