$7 bluetooth WORKING on MS1!

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

red-racing
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: $7 bluetooth WORKING on MS1!

Post by red-racing »

Hi.

I have a HC-05 connected to my ms2extra 3.3.3.
The problem is when I power up the ecu with the hc-05 attached, the ecu fails start up, and injectors are set to high. (nothing works)
BUT, if I powerup the ecu first, and then attach the HC-05 it works perfect.
So the HC-05 have to send something thats disrupts the ecu in start up.

someone have a solution for this?
red-racing
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by red-racing »

red-racing wrote:Hi.

The problem is when I power up the ecu with the hc-05 attached, the ecu fails start up, and injectors are set to high. (nothing works)

I solved the problem by using a programable output, and put a 1 sec delay on the ground to the BT-module.
But strange only I have this kind of problem
dnz
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by dnz »

Has anyone used one of these? Seems like the mini USB is a nice feature for power, I don't know how you would change the baud rate with only the one serial connector though??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RS232-5V-Blueto ... xy4fBTkBLh
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

dnz wrote:I don't know how you would change the baud rate with only the one serial connector though??
Via the serial port, I suspect. That's how mine works, anyway.

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
Tony Evo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Tony Evo »

dnz wrote:Has anyone used one of these? Seems like the mini USB is a nice feature for power, I don't know how you would change the baud rate with only the one serial connector though??

I bought one of these , and I can not reprogram it , it does not take the AT commands ,
Boshnakov
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Boshnakov »

dnz wrote:Has anyone used one of these? Seems like the mini USB is a nice feature for power, I don't know how you would change the baud rate with only the one serial connector though??

I am using the same, 6 months already. Bear in mind that RX/TX pins are reversed. It took me about a week of hair pulling to figure that out. Anyways, it works fine 7-10 times/sec refresh rate. Range is not spectacular though, I can move only close the car and the board is in the feet of the right seat.

Baud rate is changed via a serial terminal. There are specific commands for this.

For a basic tuning it is ideal.
Six_Shooter
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Six_Shooter »

red-racing wrote:Hi.

Sounds like you might have an early MS2 CPU that are known to go into bootloader mode if there isn't 5V present in one of the pins associated with comms (I don't recall which one off hand). Diyautotune has a modification for their USB to serial adapter that they sell to get around this.
Tha Toy: 1973 Datsun 240Z Turbocharged, and loads of fun, now MS'd
Tha Otha Toy: 1923 T-bucket Hot Rod, Currently Sniper'd
Tha Daily: 2005 Chevy Blazer
Tha Summer Daily: 1987 Buick Skyhawk hatchback
Tha Long Term Project: 1985 GMC S-10 Jimmy, hasn't been fun for a while
dnz
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by dnz »

Boshnakov wrote:
Baud rate is changed via a serial terminal. There are specific commands for this.
How do you connect to it via serial? Considering it only has the serial connector for the MS side, not the PC, or are there points to solder to on the board?
Boshnakov
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Boshnakov »

You need the proper cable to connect it to PC. Search for the rs232 pinout, I cannot remember but I think I used a null modem cable that is crossed. One thing for sure - I had to reverse the rx/tx pins on the MS side for it to work. I also exposed the pins on the BT board in order to fit in and added a 5v power from MS to one of the unused pins.

This is kind of strange but works ok. You could use some adapter or make it yourself from two db9 connectors. You also need to see the led. It informs you when you have a connection.
MostHated
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MostHated »

Boshnakov wrote:

I am using the same, 6 months already. Bear in mind that RX/TX pins are reversed. It took me about a week of hair pulling to figure that out. Anyways, it works fine 7-10 times/sec refresh rate. Range is not spectacular though, I can move only close the car and the board is in the feet of the right seat.

For a basic tuning it is ideal.
What is the typical refresh rate of the more expensive ones? I have one of these at my disposal I can use. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046S ... ge_o02_s00 , Also what is the refresh rate of the $55 one that DIY recommends and sells? I want to get whatever has the best refresh rate.
Dennis_Zx7r
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis_Zx7r »

Just another success story:
I tried many things on my MS2 with a HC-06 module (~5€ on local ebay, including a regulator making it rated for 5V). Getting it to work and switching the baud rate was very easy on an arduino, but I thought i could just solder the wires to the DB9 input - did not work, cost me a lot of time to figure out why.
Ended up soldering TX to pin 12 and RX to pin 11 on the 232 chip. Chip gets +5V and ground from proto area.
Works nice with android apps and laptop.
My project: Link
kikkegek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kikkegek »

landmer wrote:
TheWoo wrote:I have been trying to do this following the information on this thread, but the board i have seems to me a later version. Markings read BT <-> RS232 V1.3. all the ones in the guides seem to be 1.2.

Not a problem i thought, I jumped the pins and managed to get it all configured, and i can see the device from my Android device with my settings.

The issue comes when i tried to attached the 5v+ the the 9-pin connector, there apears to be a component on these later versions, any ideas where to get next?

And the underside.
Did you find where to connect the 5v supply on the v1.3 card? I'm having the same issue..
HELP?

Did anybody get this V1.3 version to work?

AT commands returned OK.

but where do I connect this 5v? the V+ pad id blocked by a part
my project page, BBC 454 with LPG vapour injection:
my BBC 454 LPG vapour injection tuning story 8)

my Facebook projectpage:
My 1977 GMC C15 Suburban "Storm" 8)
kikkegek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kikkegek »

I solved it for the V1.3 dongle.

just connect the pin9 (5V) to the breakout pin VCC like in this photo. and voila...it works

my project page, BBC 454 with LPG vapour injection:
my BBC 454 LPG vapour injection tuning story 8)

my Facebook projectpage:
My 1977 GMC C15 Suburban "Storm" 8)
Crazy2287
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Crazy2287 »

Hello all i just finished a guide, that is hopefully fairly fool proof, on specifically getting one of these HC-05 devices working onboard an MS-ecu. Find the link below.

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 23&t=65858

*insert witty comment here*