MK2 Golf 1.8t Drag car

General talk about successes. See older information on MSRUNS forum.
HidRo
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MK2 Golf 1.8t Drag car

Post by HidRo »

So you currently have rods and pistons to lower the compression? If so, nail that sucker :D It should really ok for 600+hp :P
Golf II + 1.8T 20V + MSII V3.0 http://eight620vt.tk/
Carlg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Carlg »

Well its time for an update.....

HX35 fitted with a borrowed manifold, ran a 12.6 first run (without gas a PB) however it was very laggy and dropped out of boost in each gear, once boost hit it was very quick to spool and made loads of boost (too much 38 psi peak :shock: 4 Bar map sensor :yeah!: ) however it blew the head gasket on the first run, I think this was due to the head lifting after streching the stock head bolts (arp bolts arrived yesterday :D )

here is a pic of the borrowed manifold (off my little sisters BF who is building an A3 20vt on ms3 atm) mocked up on a spare engine

here is the exhaust poking out of (a spare) bonnet I did this just to get the car to the track to play (had no time to do it nicely)

here are a couple of pics of the head gasket also took out the head

the car is in bits at the moment and I am in the process of upgrading some bits over the winter they are

tidy the engine bay and wiring

build a twinscroll manifold using the borrowed manifold as a template (have the tubes, bends and flanges and now have access to a 350a TIG welder :yeah!: )

Build and fit MS3X looking at adding VSS for both front wheels and some other bits

use the ms2 off the golf on my old Beetle project car (1985 Jubilee Bug) on a 1679cc engine i am collecting bits for, this was what i first bought the MS2 for but was scared about blowing expensive engines up :shock: if i get time i will turbo it too :D

here is a rubbish pic of my bug from a few years ago when i was taking the type 4 engine out to put in my camper

Oh and i had a good year racing the golf with the K04 I managed a PB on road legal tyres (11.99 @ 122 with a 150 shot of gas) and managed to win my class @ Bug Jam (VW PRO) against 26 other competitors :yeah!: that event I also ran in Street Eliminator and although i got knocked out first round (which was expected as most of the class runs 7's or 8's) I managed to bag best reaction for the first round (each drive poped £5 in a pot best reaction won the pot) So I had an epic weekend :D
HidRo
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by HidRo »

Out of boost in all gears?
Then you have to rev it to the moon :D Unless you have springs and valves that can take that abuse, it would be tricky :P
Carlg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Carlg »

im still using the tdi box curretnly which is a big drop between gears .. but i think with the nitrous and the twin scroll it should be fine 8)
HidRo
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by HidRo »

I was using a gasoline box with the 3.38 TDI Final Drive, but I changed it back to the 3.64 or something FD. It's a lot better (although the RPM drop is the same) it's a lot easier on RPM shift errors :) I like it a lot now.
Carlg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Carlg »

Ok so time for another update, I have upgraded to a MS3x and have now got the car running with sequential spark and fuel :yeah!: it seems to start a little eaiser than the Ms2 on wasted spark and batch fuel....

i am going to use the HX35 for this seasion i did buy a twinscroll cast manifold however it wont fit a RHD mk2(due to the engine mount and the servo) so back to borrowing the sidemount :shock:

my next task is to make a downpipe to fit back into my exhaust. and i am trying to decide if i am going to plumb the wastegate back into the 2.5" exhaust or run a seperate screamer pipe (with a silencer if its too loud)
Carlg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Carlg »

Well i have taken it for the first drive and on 8 psi the screamer pipe is wayyyy too loud however once i upped the boost a bit (30 psi :D ) its really not noticeable over the noise of the engine i have a sync loss at 6k which was acting like a rev limiter however i am going to enable noise filtering to see if that helps if not i will open it up and play with the pots again ....

it really pulls cannot wait for the first round of racing in a few weeks :mrgreen:

Carlg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Carlg »

I fixed the sync loss by putting a 10K resistor inline with the vr+ (between VRIN and TACHSELECT) now revs cleanly over 8k :yeah!:

oh and launch control works too

HidRo
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by HidRo »

What are your launch control settings?
Are you using flat shifting? When I use it, the car seems to bog down...
Carlg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Carlg »

here are my settings will let you know if they work after the weekend... no flat shift as my switch is at the very bottom of the clutch pedal travel....

jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Carlg wrote:here are my settings will let you know if they work after the weekend...
Sounds like we might all be puddle watching though. (I'll be at York.)

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Carlg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Carlg »

So had a bit of an adventure over the weekend entered VWPRO and ended up getting 2 and a half runs first run was rubbish with wheelspin and bogging due to over fueling at about 5K (tried the launch control and managed a 2.2 60ft) ran a 14.2 @ 116 (was only doing 60 at the 1/8th) second run I managed a 11.8 @ 130 :mrgreen: but still with a rubbish launch (2.0 60 ft) then on my next run i upped the boost a tad (from 31 psi to about 35 psi) and added some more timing aiming for a 10 second run.... started ok with a 1.72 60ft and hit the 1/8th in 7.4 seconds doing 95.5 (same terminal there as the previous run but half a second quicker) and the between the 1/8th and 1000ft the engine let go :cry: and had flames under the car where the oil ignited crossed the line in 11.9 @ 95 mph when i lifted the car veered on the oil and hit the wall just after the finish line... the car took a bit of a hit and the slicks are buggered, I have all the bits to get the car back together for the next race in a couple of weeks, it looks like i found the limit of the stock pistons as the top end is really clean .... i will let some of the pics tell the story

the bit of rod in my hand was found in the other lane on the track....

on a plus note the other car (blackcurrent the electric beetle) broke out so i won the race crossing the line on fire ....
HidRo
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by HidRo »

How was the AFR? Was it a little lean?
How much timing on the 35psi? Upping the boost and timing on the clock, without knowing if it will detonate or something is kind of risky.
Pics on the pistons?
Carlg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Carlg »

The AFR was low 12's, the piston tops look fine I will grab a picture later, I should add that the timing was taken from my ms2 setup that I had retarded the timing on for the nitrous but now the ms3 is controlling the nitrous I have it pull 5 degrees when the gas is on ended up being 8 degrees I think with gas and 13 without gas at the top end
Last edited by Carlg on Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
HidRo
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by HidRo »

low 12's? on 35psi? uffff, I wouldn't risk that :D

If the piston tops are ok, what gave up on the pistons? Melted the skirts?
Carlg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Carlg »

It seemed ok until the piston let go I am happy enough with the tune just need to back of off a bit until I build a stronger base....
tpsretard2
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by tpsretard2 »

Low 12's are fine with a good race gas. pump gas, unless you get something like 100 like in japan, is a bit of a risk, but you can do it. I do :) just have to know the limits and accept the risk.

However you can see from the pics this failure is nothing to do with tuning (per say) the crown of the piston looks like it detached from the wrist pin boss's. My thoughts are that the timing not the boost was responsible for this. The increase of ignition timing would drastically increase the cylinder pressures.

Well done though. Love following your project..

Motorsports, it is the highest of highs and the lowest of lows...
Carlg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Carlg »

[QUOTE=carlg;2429907]here are the tops of the two broken pistons

Image[/QUOTE]
Carlg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Carlg »

tpsretard2 wrote:Low 12's are fine with a good race gas. pump gas, unless you get something like 100 like in japan, is a bit of a risk, but you can do it. I do :) just have to know the limits and accept the risk.

However you can see from the pics this failure is nothing to do with tuning (per say) the crown of the piston looks like it detached from the wrist pin boss's. My thoughts are that the timing not the boost was responsible for this. The increase of ignition timing would drastically increase the cylinder pressures.

Well done though. Love following your project..

Motorsports, it is the highest of highs and the lowest of lows...
Thanks, its nice to see people read my ramblings. I agree with the pump gas thing.... i will just back the tune a bit and see how it goes on the spare engine. Im in two minds if to fit a slightly smaller ebay turbo (that i have sitting here) just to try to get my boost threshold down a bit .....
tpsretard2
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by tpsretard2 »

have followed you for some time mate.

You might do better with a smaller turbo and better fuel like e85 or MS109. More timing less boost and she runs cooler. However i have another thought for you, one that has happened to me a few times when runnning an engine hard. Ring gaps hard to tell without seeing the pistons my self. May be hard to see with all the damage regardless....

However if you got the ring gaps hot enough they could of touched. What ring gaps were you using. I am assuming they were stock rings. you might need to open the ring gap up some..