MS3 - progress monitor

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

How are you getting on with MS3 ?

Waiting for it to arrive
3%
Received it ok, not done anything yet
4%
Waiting on other parts
3%
Stuck - problems
9%
Bench testing only so far
10%
Partway through on-engine installation
8%
Engine up and running, but not finished
32%
All running, does what I want - success!
31%

Total votes: 645

papiogxl
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: MS3 - progress monitor

Post by papiogxl »

Running, but let's be real, is it ever "finished"?

The Ratchet RX7
1988 RX7 powered by 12V VR6
Ms3x, ID1000's, e85, pt6266, NX wet kit.
Stock block w/ arp hardware
TH400
8.8 IRS
MWPau
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by MWPau »

First start Toyota 5S-GTE (Camry 2.2L block, with Toyota Caldina ST215 head, forged stuff, 268 cams, ID1000's, etc).
MegaSquirt3 + MS3X + TinyIOx + LC-1 + EGT + Flex-fuel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJcjQJBM20o
Toyota Celica GT4/Alltrac with 5S-GTE stroker (2.2L I4 turbo, high CR) on E85 w/FlexFuel.
MS3 + MS3X + KnockBoard + RTC + BT + DIY CAN-IO-Board + DIY CAN Digital Dash.
93supercoupe
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 93supercoupe »

MS3x
Meth Injection
Full sequential
COP
LC1
boost control

Looking to add-
Rolling anti lag
traction control
Speed based boost

Power-
520whp/470tq on 20PSI (clutch started slipping) all stock motor with a Holset hx35/hx40 hybrid
BootlegTuned
o_man_ra23
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by o_man_ra23 »

After 5 years of building, development, and moving houses a few times, my engine is finally running again!! But as I am starting the tune from scratch, it will take a while before I can move it to the completed step...

There seems to be a few gremlins in the system, but I'll try a couple of semi-obvious things before I go making posts asking for help...

Motor is a Toyota 18R-GUE with a CT26 Turbo, sequential injection and ignition (36-1 trigger wheel and backyard designed and built optical cam sensor), coil on plug and LC-1 wideband O2. Also running the Jeep stepper IAC.

Cheers, Owen
Cheers, Owen

1977 Toyota Celica Liftback
18R-GTE with sequential Ignition/Injection, Coil on Plug
MS3 with MS3X
Tinkers Toy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tinkers Toy »

I voted "Engine up and running but not finished yet". I have been driving my Mercedes V12 for a year now on fuel only. Now onto phase two to convert the ignition to MS.
S.Bretz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by S.Bretz »

Got the "turd" running just in time for some Halloween "shens."
Here's a vid of some tom-fooleray on it maiden voyage under boost.

Its a turbo GM 3.6L LY7 with a 6sp manual and a 4 linked ford 8.8, 31spine with a Detroit tru-trac in it. Nitrous is not installed yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa6es9_Emao
Mohzor
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mohzor »

My MS3X is running my 6G72TT in a 1992 3000gt VR4, named the "Tin Man." Currently fuel only, and lots of bugs to work out in the car.

I bought the car sans engine, got a JDM engine shipped to my house. It's been a process, lots of problems and obstacles. The JDM engine included an unknown number of race parts, including an OS Giken twin disc clutch and 720cc injectors (the injectors being the reason why the car didn't run with the stock Mitsu computer).

I'm slowly getting features of the MS3X connected. First was fuel, then the check engine light, pulsewidth display on the gauge, speedo connected to use the MPG feature in Tunerstudio. I'm certainly having fun. Future plans for this car include Natural Gas, CNG, or propane dual fuel, gasoline is cheap in Wisconsin today but I know that the price will climb again.

The MS3X was originally intended for my Northstar Fiero, but that project has been on hold. The Tin Man needed to run, the Fiero can wait. I have been excited to start using the MS3X, and START the learning curve. I can always buy another MS3, but I won't need to purchase the tools and learning I've put together.
1992 Mitsubishi 3000gt VR4 + 6G72TT, OS Giken twin disc clutch, 720cc injectors, and who knows what other race parts installed
1984 Pontiac Fiero 2m4 + 1995 Cadillac Northstar 32v
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

Haven't got much past the bench phase, but slooowly making progress. MS3/3X is mounted and interior harness is done. Looking hard at Microsquirt options for the trans.

Vehicle:

1995 Ford Lightning (factory souped up F-150) I am the only owner. 408w small block Ford, intercooled Novi 2000, E85, full sequential w/LS2 coils, E4OD trans, would love to see 800+ hp to the wheels.

Been in storage for 14 years, needs a good buffing :)

1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
ElectricNick87
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ElectricNick87 »

Where's the option for "Ready to set it on fire & switch to something else."
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

Voted part way through install.. But im also stuck and waiting for parts
garsten
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by garsten »

Ford EEC-IV aftermarket tuning stuff, which i continued to have concerns about, cost me a round of drag racing April, 2015, so it got yanked and replaced with MS3X.

Great documentation helped me get things wired up quite easily using existing wiring harness.

Have 8 passes on the car this year and have made good progress tuning VE Tables, and am getting real close to having open-loop idle where I'd like it. Headed to the track again this weekend to get AFR's closer to target.

One thing during my tuning sessions at the track which surprised me was having the fuel table so rich it felt like i was hitting a rev limiter. I did not expect that behavior.

Cheers, Claude
68 F100, 521 ci BBF. MS-II V3.57 PNP for 86 - 93 Ford 5.0, using TunerStudio MS Registered, Zeitronix ZT-3 Wideband.
81 Ford Fairmont, 347 ci SBF, Accufab 4-barrel TB, GM IAC Stepper, 42# injectors, PLX Devices Wideband, Powerglide, MS3X, race only.
mlynch
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mlynch »

82 FIAT 2000 Spider. Replacing L-Jetronic, On-Engine Install in Progress. MS3X/V3.57, sequential, D585 Coils, 36-1 Cam wheel. Basically ripped out all the stock stuff and started over. Plan to start running and begin tune within 30 days. Anyone had any success with a FIAT like mine?
Michael Lynch
1982 FIAT Spider Perpetual Project
1985 El Camino SS (EFI Conversion TPI)
1982 HONDA CBX EFI Conversion (In Progress)
"If everyone is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking" - General George S. Patton
mlynch
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mlynch »

:D :D Finished Mounting ECM, terminated power and Grounds, Established Communication with Megasquirt! Tested Fuel Pump, All Coils and Injectors for Function. Uploaded a "base" VE map. Do not have datalog, but getting close. I have a lot of sensors to hook up and wiring to clean up. I am stoked to see my hard work pay off. :D :D
Michael Lynch
"If everyone is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking" - General George S. Patton
mlynch
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mlynch »

My 1982 FIAT SPIDER is getting closer. Coil and injector Relays Powered, PWM Idle Wired (need to mount and plumb) , Wire looms sorted and tied, TPS wired but not mounted (need to make an Adapter), O2 sensor and heater wired, CTS wired and calibrated, Composite Logger and Tooth Logger are working and rock solid. Had one small glitch with the TOOTH Logger, reversed the Ignition Capture and fixed that issue. Need to make my Distributor hole plug before I can run. Cranking engine produces ignition events, RPM signal and Injection events. TUNER STUDIO Shows ALL GREEN LIGHTS! I think this thing is going to run! :yeah!: :yeah!:
Michael Lynch
mlynch
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mlynch »

IMG_3962 (1280x960).jpg
Getting Closer to firing off. Ignition Timing confirmed and base timing set. Lots of wiring cleaned up and loomed. IAT sensor installed and wired. Air Filter mounted and supported. Won't be long now.
Michael Lynch
mlynch
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mlynch »

After some long sleepless nights and some BIG HELP from billr and grom_e30 (THANKS GUYS!!!) I went from ZERO to HERO today. It would not run at 8:30 local time and by 10 am or so I was on the road. MY FIAT finally is drivable and FUN again! I do still have TPS Problems that just popped up, but I think that is a bad TPS. After the TPS is fixed, I am down to fine tuning some off idle driveabilty issues, working on tuning for fuel economy and then getting all the auxiliaries to work. Next thing is a WB O2 and getting a real sharp tune on the old girl. Already runs better than the old L-JETRONIC. :D :D :D
Michael Lynch
mlynch
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mlynch »

SUCCESS!!!
I recently read an article on a Guy Croft (Mr. FIAT TC "Expert") Website or Blog that pretty much dismissed Megasquirt as "Junk", "Not worth the trouble" or "not getting good results". I believe that Mr. Croft went as far as to say that he had not heard any "success stories" and several others went on about how crappy, hard to install and difficult to tune that Megasuirt ECM's were. I will state this now, IF I am mis-quoting Mr. Croft, I will offer a sincere apology, in advance. Otherwise, I must be the smartest guy in the room, or those folks are pretty much full of crap. My FIAT TC runs VERY WELL. And yes, It can be done. There was a lot of boasting about certain other "Aftermarket EFI" systems that are available (for many more $$$), and how these are "turn key". No, Megasquirt IS NOT "turn-key" but such Turn Key systems are also full of compromises. I wanted FULL CONTROL and FULL TUNEABILITY, Megasquirt gives me this option. MEGASQUIRT is the only ECM that allows you to go as "basic" or as "Complex" as you want to be. I went from a basic tune and install to running Full Sequential, COP, table switching, WBO2, full EGO/AFR control and getting 31+ MPG. This was all done with readily available components and tools. And I did not "Borrow" a starting tune! I went from a BLANK VE1 table, to where I am today. This is not to say that I will not continue to fine tune and adjust, but the car runs AWESOME.
I also heard about how "Factory ECM's are much more powerful" than Megasquirt, that is all fine and good, last time I looked, no one built one of these SUPER "Factory ECM" for my 82 FIAT Spider 2000. There is as much difference between the MegaSquirt ECM and the BOSCH L-Jetronic and there is between the Bosch EFI Car and the old Carbureted FIAT TC. The Change is ALL in the ECM, since the basic EFI components on the engine itself did not change. ANYONE who is building a "Performance" engine OR just wants a Great Running "Stock" engine and uses a carburetor instead of EFI, is living in a very dark place. I will go further to say, Anyone who states that you cannot install and tune a Megasquirt ECM properly and successfully on ANY engine, is a blow hard and really not nearly as "Competent" as they would have you believe. Megasquirt IS NOT for everyone, If you want very simple, bolt on, turn key installation; look elsewhere. If you like a Satisfying Challenge, then MegaSquirt might just be for you. Finally, I want to THANK EVERYONE who helped me get on my feet and work through several issues that were completely of my own creation. Members of this forum and the folks at DYI Autotune were invaluable in my project. :D :D :D
Michael Lynch
snowrx
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by snowrx »

As Mr Lynch says above, a Satisfying Challenge.
I took a carbureted, sensor-less Lotus 910 turbo engine with no tune available to a sequentially injected,coil on plug engine with closed loop boost control by building a MS3x box from the DIY kit. Could not have done it without the assistance of this forum!

Yes, there's a lot of experimentation, trouble shooting and road tuning as you add features and search for the perfect settings for cold start and idle, but with a wideband O2 meter and Tuner Studio auto-tune my engine was drivable shortly after I got my crank sensor set up.
Lotus Esprit w/MS3x, COP, Sequential, GM TB&IAC. Hall sensor on 36-2 crank,1 pin VR cam. MapDaddy, AEM X WBO2, Clock&Knock boards.

Subaru WRX hybrid w/MS3PNPPro SW0205, STi cams, VF39 turbo, 830cc injectors, VW boost solenoid.
MS3 1.5.1
TS v3.0.28
vern_k
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by vern_k »

just changed my vote to running but not done yet, still trying to get a decent tune, having some issues with cold starts, but getting a driving tune down decent well till I change something and it throws my VE table all off and I have to start over. Think I'm getting everything set to where she likes it, the only main issue I have with cold start is she dies out as soon as I touch the accelerator pedal, and my idle goes up as she warms up. Got my load idle up relay put in yesterday and that helped with idle bounce when the fan comes on and headlights at night. I do get a dip in AFR right after I press the accelerator and a slight hesitation.

1985 Maxima VG30E
MS3X
using all factory stuff

If anyone has any tips please let me know, I'm sure the cold idle valve worked before the factory ECCS died but haven't double checked it since I put it back on the intake. the tune is from after my drive to work this morning while auto tuning.

data log from my drive to work

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m3nk4ljzrdrnh ... g.msl?dl=0
nipponi
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by nipponi »

Stuck :|
nissan oem cas+ms3x don´t want to co-operate each other so I´m trying to order 24+1 disc and get it posted fast.
Unfortunately I live in Finland and postal services in here are slow, so it may be at the end of the week till disc arrives.. :roll:
Nissan Almera Gti -97. Ms3+extra Flex fuel project.