rasberry pi integration

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

remsperso
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: rasberry pi integration

Post by remsperso »

Thanks Phil!
FYI, I use TS v2.6.19 on the Pi2, so with RXTX library.
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Okay, I'll try and downgrade tonight.
"Hey, at least the Skylark proves that even a messy hack can patch together a reliable EFI system. I can't think of a time the MegaSquirt has left me stranded since installation ~100,000 miles ago."

Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015. - BB N/A - 1977 Skylark w/Buick 455 EFI and TKO-600!
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

I managed to figure out a work around. I found by deleting my registration information it would load up the default "lite" gauges. So I let it load, cleared my project out so it wouldn't reload it on restart. Re-entered my registration information, and reloaded my project and viola it loaded up. I made sure the communication settings were to the rxtx driver and now it's booting up as it should. The new version rounded my indicators and squeezed my display up, so I've quickly roughed a few of the indicators/gauges back into shape, and made this video.

The Raspberry Pi 2, about 45 second load time, which is down from a minute and twenty seconds (1:20) with the Rpi B+.

https://youtu.be/6sv-PvD5NMw

This project makes me feel so bi-polar.
"Hey, at least the Skylark proves that even a messy hack can patch together a reliable EFI system. I can't think of a time the MegaSquirt has left me stranded since installation ~100,000 miles ago."

Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015. - BB N/A - 1977 Skylark w/Buick 455 EFI and TKO-600!
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Despite my frustrations with Linux, I want to re-iterate my thanks to Phil and his patience and help :D

Successfully drove the car 190 miles on Friday without a hiccup on the Rpi dash. I really like the new needle graphics in TS3, so I think I'm going to be scheduling a full MS3 firmware and TS software update for my Skylark and update the gauge cluster on that car too.

racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Is that a "Red Green" bezel on the screen? (hopefully some will understand the reference...)
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

racingmini_mtl wrote:Is that a "Red Green" bezel on the screen? (hopefully some will understand the reference...)
HA! I get the "duck tape" reference, lol.

It's the temporary install before the screen eventually will be installed behind the dash panel on the right side of the photo where the Pontiac arrow head is.

Gokart
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Gokart »

hi guys...
what to do to get TS to run on raspi? here was what i did...
with a fresh raspi i had the Noobs and raspbian installed and booted fine.
downloaded tunerstudio (linux version) and installed.
now, why can't the TS run? it just freezes and nothing happened when i
clicked tunerstudio.jar file.
what other hidden steps should i take?
i need guides here. thanks in advance.
(4G63T - MSIIextra) (4G13 - MS3-beta testing)
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

1st I would run the beta as then you shouldn't need to mess with library replacements

then start it using the the .sh file, not double clicking the jar.

As for permissions, I'm not sure if you need to add your user to any specific groups on the Pi.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
tahitianman
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by tahitianman »

Hi everybody,

I try to activate TS on my rpi 2. Unfortunetly it doesn't work.

What I did :
- i have rpi 2 with 7" touchscreen
- sudo apt-get update
- sudo apt-get upgrade
- sudo apt-get install default-jre
- download tunerstudio and extract to home/pi
- TS is registered with my code
- When I double click on TunerStudio.sh and launch my project nothing apear.

Is it possible for a person to do a diy please.
And how to autostart the program.

Thank you
tahitianman
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by tahitianman »

Finally it s ok. I reboot my pi with noobs and it works.
(New raspbian , update , install java )

Now I search how to autostart TS on my pi. Thanks.
sklr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by sklr »

Hi,

I am thinking about putting a pi 3 in my miata with a 7" touchscreen to replace the double din audio system. The idea is to supplement the information of the stock instrument cluster with boost, AFR, temp values etc, while also providing a fully functioning audio player and this will probably not take too much time to do :| . I may just write a script to do serial communication with the pnp pro and feed it to a simple custom gui that has a music player embedded in it. I can always open the full instance of tunerstudio if and when I want to do auto-tune or make changes. A stretch goal will be to tag video (gopro) data with gps and selected ECU outputs during autox.

I was just wondering about the LCD's that you guys use. I am looking at this LCD with a low profile bezel: http://www.neosecsolutions.com//product ... 1de964aed7 . Anyone have experience with this LCD? link for same LCD @ aliexpress: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/7-inch-R ... a426ce107b

Would have been great if the official raspberry pi lcd had better than potato display resolution.

Thanks.
Arny
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Arny »

Hi all (et salut remsperso !),

I'm looking for an easy solution to integrate a 2 DIN touch screen in the dashboard in order to run Tunerstudio and Tune Analyze Live in my miata.
Do you know if the Rasberry Pi 3 can run Tune Analyze Live ?

I have read that Tunerstudio worked on the Raspberry Pi 2 but Tune Analyze Live had some issues..

Thanks for the help.
remsperso
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by remsperso »

Hi Arni,
What sort of issues with the Pi2 during VE analyze live?
Arny
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Arny »

I have read that graphics could be an issue with the Pi2.

Remsperso, do you have any problem with the Pi2 during VE analyze live ?
remsperso
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by remsperso »

I never tried, but I will test it in the next days!
LSXCutty
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by LSXCutty »

Has anyone tried one of those compute sticks? I was wondering if one of those would work with say a Headunit that had a an hdmi input.
remsperso
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by remsperso »

A compute stick will do the job, of course. You will need a USB hub to connect a touch panel (or any pointer device) and a USB/Serial cable to the MS.
The only difficulty will be the power supply : managing events for power on/off the stick.
Arny
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Arny »

I just received my Raspberry pi 3 and tried to learn how it works with basic tutorials.
I have installed Tunerstudio. Now, I have to find out how to communicate with the MS with my USB Serial cable..
Arny
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Arny »

I have installed Tunerstudio on my Raspberry pi 3.
How to make the Raspberry works with the Megaquirt via USB ? (communication settings)
Any differences with a PC on Windows ?
Thanks
remsperso
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by remsperso »

In the previous page of this topic :
remsperso wrote:Check the +x rights on the rxtx libraries you copied in all TS subdirectories :
chmod +x librxtxSerial(-2.2pre1).so

;-)
LT401Vette wrote:TunerStudio 2.9 doesn't use RXTX, so there is no need to worry about librxtxSerial.so.

In 117 it is probably the bluetooth direct drivers that are hanging it. They were not disabled on Linux. Bluetooth will be disabled on Linux in the next release.
So you may have some tries before success. ;-)
One important difference between Windows and Linux is the access rights with Linux (r:read, w:write, x:run for users and groups).
Feel free to give your feedback!