Speeduino ECU

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Speeduino ECU

Post by DaveEFI »

On a totally unrelated forum I heard about a Speeduino ECU which apparently uses Tuner Studio. I was asked for some help with a project, so wanted to check it was a legal use before proceeding.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Re: Speeduino ECU

Post by muythaibxr »

If they are using our comms algorithm, it is not legal.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Looks like another one trying to sneak in the back door, if you ask me (which no one did of course!).

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

kjones6039 wrote:Looks like another one trying to sneak in the back door, if you ask me (which no one did of course!).

Ken
It's not an MS clone - by what I've seen of it (pics etc). It's an Arduino based open source project. But I know very little else.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Speeduino ECU

Post by subwoofer »

muythaibxr wrote:If they are using our comms algorithm, it is not legal.
Do you mean the protocol, or the parsing code? Can you copyright a protocol, I thought you could only copyright the implementation.

I am in no way involved in said project, just to make that clear.
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
1990 VW Caravelle Syncro - running MS3+X
2014 Ford Fiesta EcoBoost
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

DaveEFI wrote:It's not an MS clone - by what I've seen of it (pics etc). It's an Arduino based open source project. But I know very little else.
Yes, I realize it's not a clone. My comment was in reference to the concept of using TunerStudio. Gotta be something wrong with that! :lol:

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 12&start=0 have a read on this it sounds like they have permission to use it with tuner studio.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

grom_e30 wrote:http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 12&start=0 have a read on this it sounds like they have permission to use it with tuner studio.
Looks like Grom is correct AGAIN! (just kidding :lol:)

I am guessing that Phil may chime in here and put all of our minds to rest. :D

Ken
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

on a side not while looking in to this i came across an arduino project called: ardu-stim which is an Arduino based crank/cam wheel signal generator that may well come in handy to megasquirt users.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

It says on phils website that his software is used with a number of different ECU and MLV in particular is very usable by many applications that store in CSV format. Says some universities are even using it for data analysis. I have used data from winlog (tech edge) and displayed it with MLV. Not that hard to do.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
mickeymarrows
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by mickeymarrows »

grom_e30 wrote:on a side not while looking in to this i came across an arduino project called: ardu-stim which is an Arduino based crank/cam wheel signal generator that may well come in handy to megasquirt users.
on a side note, I use that all the time (ardustim). Its clunky but works brilliantly.. :)
'82 Golf GTI ABF 16v MS2 Extra sequential COP
'77 Scirocco G60 MS2 Extra sequential
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Speeduino ECU

Post by muythaibxr »

grom_e30 wrote:http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 12&start=0 have a read on this it sounds like they have permission to use it with tuner studio.
James and I designed the comms proto, and they don't have our permission to use that. Assuming they are using it.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

I appreciate all keeping an eye on these things as we are continuously fighting MS2 Pirates and there is commonly groups of people using TunerStudio without permission.

From looking at the ini, they appear to be using a protocol closer to the MS1 protocol. A basic request reply protocol with no error checking.
To my knowledge the Speeduino project is quite different from MegaSquirt, I believe it is primarily a small group of hobbyists.

In the case of speeduino they did originally start using TunerStudio just because it was there, but did then request permission. I have granted that permission so their use is fine.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

OK fair enough.