EDIS and Programmable outputs

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Kbert
Helpful MS/Extra'er

EDIS and Programmable outputs

Post by Kbert »

I had my MSII running on a GM V6 a couple of years ago and have recently modified it to run with an EDIS module. I am using the Jimstim to test it out.

One of the things I had it doing before and would like to have it do again is electronic cooling fan control. I had this running off of D15.

I completed the Hall sensor circuit and connected JS10 to IGN and I am getting a good RPM input and can see the SAW output using a scope (or changing the spark output to going low and connecting it to an LED on the Jimstim).

With this working I tried to set D15 as a programmable output based on coolant temperature. It worked fine turning an LED on and off on the Jimstim. However, when I powered down and then turned the unit back on I received an error message stating I had conflicts and the megasquirt didn't know how to deal with them. Disabling the LED output and power cycling the board fixed it. I tried it with all the outputs I should have available (LED14, LED15, LED16, JS11(PA0) and FIDLE, I am running a 4 wire IAC motor). The only output that would work when turned off and back on again is FIDLE. Since they work before the power cycle I would think that they should be useable.

Is this something that I have done wrong or is this expected?

Cheers,
Kberg
Kbert
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: EDIS and Programmable outputs

Post by Kbert »

The error I get states the following:

"Settings Error!

You have a sttings error! on Project
This means there are conflicting settings and the MegaSquirt does not know how to handle them

The following error was reported by the MegaSquirt:
Conflict between spare output ports and spark outputs

Unless directed in the above message, you do not need to reload firmware to fix this problem.

To resolve this you need to correct this error in your settings then powercycle the MegaSquirt"

Since I'm set up for EDIS and I am using JS10 for SAW I shouldn't be using any of the spark outputs, so I am confused.

Kbert
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Nothing to do with your issue, but I did notice that you need to set Dwell Type to Fixed Duty when using EDIS.

Ken

When I get a few minutes I will load up your MSQ on my test ECU and try to replicate your issue........
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
Kbert
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Kbert »

I will fix the dwell settings when Im next at the computer. I appreciate the help!

Kbert
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

kjones6039 wrote:When I get a few minutes I will load up your MSQ on my test ECU and try to replicate your issue........
Well,I'll be dipped!! I loaded your MSQ into a new project and got the same results as you. I then used my own MSQ, set it to EDIS and, again, got the same (config error) result!

Dunno....... Lets see what the guys with the big brains have to say about this..............

Ken

EDIT: Also tried using Basic Trigger, and got same config error........
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Kbert
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Kbert »

Well I do feel better knowing it isnt just me. Thanks for checking!

Kbert
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

That doesn't sound like it is behaving as you'd expect. The code is supposed to be reserving JS10 and should be leaving the other outputs free.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Kbert
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Kbert »

No it isn't working as I would expect.

I tried using Basic trigger and then setting up all three LEDs as programmable outputs and it did work for me (msq attached). Setting it back to EDIS causes the config error to return.

Kbert
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Kbert wrote:I tried using Basic trigger and then setting up all three LEDs as programmable outputs and it did work for me (msq attached).
Interesting......... I get the conflict error using Basic Trigger mode also.

FWIW..... I would have never noticed this issue if this thread had not caught my attention because I only use Toothed Wheel mode. Regardless, I can't speculate whether this is either a firmware or a TS issue.

Ken
Kbert
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Kbert »

So, I have been trying various things to fix this. I rolled the firmware back to 3.3.3 and I still had the error when trying to run EDIS and using D15 as a programmable output. I am at a loss here.

Cheers,
Kbert
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

It may well have been broken for a long while. Somewhat odd that nobody has reported it before.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

jsmcortina wrote:Somewhat odd that nobody has reported it before.
Odd, but possible I suppose.

Ken
Kbert
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Kbert »

So is there a specific place I should report it or is it considered reported now?

Thanks for looking at this!

Cheers,
Kbert
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Since James is aware and responded (above) I think you could consider it reported.,,,,,,,,,

Ken
Kbert
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Kbert »

So, I have found something I need to try. I was looking over a build thread and the gentleman performing the work has a similar setup. He is using a Toyota V8 with an EDIS8 and came across the same "Settings Configuration Error!" message in regards to spark outputs. His issue got worse when he tried to reflash the firmware. Turns out his problem was his USB to Serial adapter as it worked fine after buying a new one. I am hoping to get a new adapter and try that this weekend.

Cheers,
Kbert
Kbert
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Kbert »

UPDATE:

I purchased a new USB to RS232 adapter. I uninstalled the old driver and rebooted. I then installed the new driver and rebooted again. I plugged in the adapter and reflashed the firmware. It seemed to take longer than before. I then fired up Tunerstudio and changed the ignition options to EDIS and tried setting LED15 to turn on at 90C. I burned the settings and power cycled the MS. It worked.

I then loaded up my previous project and burned it to the MS. Same problem as before. So I went back to the test project I just created and loaded all those settings again. Again it worked. So I built on that and entered all the settings from my original project and it still works. MSQ attached.

So it looks like my problem is fixed, but I don't know why I had it before and it comes back if I load that project. So I'm deleting it and going with the new one.

Cheers,
Kbert
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Changing project doesn't alter the fact that there's a long-standing firmware bug.

James

Kbert
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Kbert »

True. It just means I managed a way around it. Other than a new adapter I don't know what I did different.

Kbert
DanB
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by DanB »

jsmcortina wrote:Changing project doesn't alter the fact that there's a long-standing firmware bug.

James
This sounds related to my spare ports issue. Any update on the firmware bug?
DanB
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by DanB »

After re-reading this thread, it is exactly the same problem I am having with my 1uz EDIS setup. I have been working around it to run the cooling fans without MS control. I posted the msq on the other thread. http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 4&start=20