Innovate G5 Gauge Richer Than TunerStudio

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

iiMidknight
MS/Extra Newbie

Innovate G5 Gauge Richer Than TunerStudio

Post by iiMidknight »

Hey everyone, this may be a bit long winded but I figured you would appreciate more details and not less.

I have a new gauge that is not agreeing with TunerStudio, and I believe TunerStudio seems to be more correct, but I want to know how and why.

I have a 1984 Nissan 300zx NA2Turbo with MS3X full sequential installed. Here is a rundown of the parts I am having a little bit of trouble with:
  • Innovate LC-2 Wideband controller with a new sensor that is about 20" behind the turbo
  • MS3X grounded to the firewall right next to the stock battery ground strap (using an old tie-down threaded screw hole)
  • Innovate G5 Analog AFR gauge
All of the above components are grounded to the same place, and they all get their 12V+ source from the same IGN wire. I have the EGO wire connected to the LC-2 yellow wire, and the AFR calibration is set to LC-1/LC-2 Default. The same yellow wire is connected to the sensor input for the gauge. Even if I set TunerStudio to 0V = 7.35 and 5V = 22.39 the value being read in stays the same. Of course, that is the value that is included in both the LC-2 and G5 manuals.

So my question is: If TunerStudio and the G5 are getting the same IGN, GND, and SIG from the LC-2, and they are theoretically calibrated for the same linear response signal, how could their readings be off? I mean, I can set idle to about 14 or 14.5 in TunerStudio and the engine is fine with it. At that point, the gauge will read around 12 or 12.5. If I try to lean out idle so the gauge reads 14.5, the engines slows a bit and Tunerstudio reads around 16.5.

Does the gauge reference the "always on" 12V+ source in its readings? That is the only wire that is not shared between MS3 and the gauge, and I know I have some small grounding issues with some interior electronics (hence why I grounded the ECU to a fresh ground next to the battery strap). I am going to replace my battery ground so that may help, but I didn't think the gauge would even care if voltage fluctuated a little bit on that wire.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Innovate G5 Gauge Richer Than TunerStudio

Post by Matt Cramer »

Where are the LC2 and the G5 grounded?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
iiMidknight
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by iiMidknight »

The G5 and LC2 are grounded to the same ground wires as the ECU. Those wires bolted to the firewall about 2 inches from a battery ground strap that is also bolted to the firewall. Z31's had their battery ground strap connected to the firewall via an M8 bolt through a metal tab for chassis grounding, but also continued down to the starter/bell housing. The wires for ECU, LC-2, and G5 are all bolted to the firewall in what was the battery tie-down bolt hole about 2 inches away from that ground strap tab.

I'm beginning to think I may have a bad gauge. I read the voltages in TunerStudio directly and they seem to agree with my multimeter. Using their 0V and 5V sensor calibration number, TunerStudio seems to be on the money. I'll have to see what the voltage at the gauge is, but I have noticed it seems to read non-linearly. At 10 on the gauge, TS reads 11. At 12 on the gauge, TS reads 14. 14 on the gauge is about 18 in TS. Doesn't pass the giggle check to me...
ffr3247r
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ffr3247r »

With my wideband and gauge sharing the yellow wire I could never get the readings to match.
I split them and used the second output to feed tunerstudio. This fixed all my funky mismatched readings.
Just a thought
66 Mustang Turbo 6.0 LS on MS3X 80lb Deka injectors Tunerstudio Ultra and MS3 1.5.1
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

ffr3247r wrote:With my wideband and gauge sharing the yellow wire I could never get the readings to match.
I split them and used the second output to feed tunerstudio. This fixed all my funky mismatched readings.
Just a thought
Yes. You don't want to use the same analog output for the gauge and the ECU - I've seen a lot of errors when you try that.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
iiMidknight
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by iiMidknight »

Thanks for the suggestion. I contacted the folks at DIYAutotune, where I bought the gauge, and they told me the same answer. I will test separating the outputs to the two different wires, but that seems to be what's causing the issue.
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

To use separate wires I guess using LogWorks you reprogram the normal 0-1V output to become 0-5V matching the existing 0-5V?
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Apart from using analogue output to MS I found the Innovate gauge reading approx same diff as you. Through testing and using an alternate O2 in exhaust I found TS to be in error. I then used the generic cal selection and set lower 0v value to 6.35 and this set TS readings to agree with display gauge.

One way to test accuracy is to closer you VE values at idle until engine starts to miss. AFR should be around 15.2 when this occurs. Another tip is to check analog output with VOM and try connecting a local ground wire to gauge end. This is contradicts manual but helped steady my data.

Jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water