TinyIOx Questions

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

SethU
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: TinyIOx Questions

Post by SethU »

I think the light bulb over my head just turned on.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Yes, you're correct about the analog signals. They are designated as CAN ADC 0-7. The ports are for digital (not analog) I/Os.

As for the ports, since you only need outputs at this time, you should configure them as 3 outputs. Also, you need to configure the port for on/off outputs as a digital type even if you will only use one channel. The single value is only for PWM outputs. The digital outputs (on/off outputs) are for up to 8 channels.

If you're familiar with data types, each port is an 8-bit value and a PWM signal needs all 8 bits to define the duty cycle while the on/off outputs (or inputs if you were using them) require only 1 bit per channel.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
SethU
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by SethU »

The 4 TPM1 timer input channels... Are they strictly and only for PWM inputs, or can I put switched 5v power to them for a on/off input?

PTE4 and PTE5... They're able to be used as digital I/O's too, aren't they?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

The 4 TPM1 timer input are only for PWM inputs at this time. And you can use PTE4 and PTE5 as digital I/Os but then you can no longer use the I2C port. If you never plan on using it for AFR data or LED displays, it's fine but it would still be a good idea if you can use another channel simply to keep your options open. Other I2C devices might be supported in the future (nothing planned at this time).

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
SethU
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by SethU »

racingmini_mtl wrote:The 4 TPM1 timer input are only for PWM inputs at this time. And you can use PTE4 and PTE5 as digital I/Os but then you can no longer use the I2C port. If you never plan on using it for AFR data or LED displays, it's fine but it would still be a good idea if you can use another channel simply to keep your options open. Other I2C devices might be supported in the future (nothing planned at this time).

Jean
Thanks Jean. I'll put some thought into that.
SethU
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by SethU »

Is there any chance this would wire right up to the serial port on the TinyIOx? Intuition is telling me "that" would just be too easy.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13712
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

SethU wrote:Is there any chance this would wire right up to the serial port on the TinyIOx? Intuition is telling me "that" would just be too easy.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13712
You would need to add an RS232 interface and a 3.3V power supply. Moreover, you would have to reprogram it to use the Megasquirt serial protocol.

Jean
SethU
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by SethU »

I want to set up one of the inputs with a switch. Is this the correct circuit and resistor values?
Screenshot (14).png
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

You don't need the Vref pull up because there is an internal pull up. And it would be better to use a 10k Ohm inline resistor.

Jean
SethU
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by SethU »

Screenshot (14).png

Nice and easy. Thank you. Should have the proto board together soon. Almost have everything I need.
SethU
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by SethU »

For the PWM and On/Off output transistors/MOSFETs and Flyback Diode...
Screenshot (15).png
Are the specifications of these parts sufficient?

Diode http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... ND/2531810

N- MOSFET https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/5978324

And is it okay to go from the diodes to the same +12v that feeds the 5v power converter, or should I run another lead out to the main 12v supply line, similar to the grounds for the transistors? Seems if I did it on the board, that some sort of suppressor circuitry might be appropriate... But, I know very little about this stuff.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Both are very robust little beasts for their size. Just check your frequency on the N-FET; those IntelliFETs are -slow-, rated in usec, when other N-FETs are rated in ns. For something like a 100Hz boost control solenoid, it probably doesn't matter.

Are you sure you meant to select a SOD323 device? I screwed myself up once doing that, ordering 323 when the design and pads were for a SOD123 case. Oops ...
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Running a separate 12V for high current/noisy outputs (such as PWM outputs) is not a bad idea and that's what I have on my full size IOx board.

Jean
SethU
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by SethU »

dontz125 wrote:Both are very robust little beasts for their size. Just check your frequency on the N-FET; those IntelliFETs are -slow-, rated in usec, when other N-FETs are rated in ns. For something like a 100Hz boost control solenoid, it probably doesn't matter.

Are you sure you meant to select a SOD323 device? I screwed myself up once doing that, ordering 323 when the design and pads were for a SOD123 case. Oops ...
Good. That's the "automotive" rated version of the same N-FET you recommended to replace the one in my MircoSquirt. Boost solenoid is only 30Hz.

Yes... I ordered a bunch of stuff, not knowing there were different sizes available. Some came a little too big and others were darn near microscopic.

The holes on the proto board are 0.100" center to center and I need components that will fit between them. 1206 resisters were too big, 0402's too small. Settled on 0603 size, and the SOD323 measurements seemed close to 0603.

Here's the 1206. A bit too big. Half that would be perfect... and 0603's are about that.
20170319_130719.jpg
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

SethU wrote:Some came a little too big and others were darn near microscopic.
When I first got into SMD I was hand soldering everything, and it got a little tricky at times. Most of the stuff I started working with was 1206 and SOIC8, then as I got more confident I dropped to 0805 and SOT-3. I've tried 0603 and SOT363, and it takes a steady hand. I didn't bother with 0402,and just shook my head at 0201.

Then I found out about 10005 ... :shock:

:lol:
TTR Ignition Systems
SethU
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by SethU »

What temperature do you set your soldering iron to for this stuff?
SethU
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by SethU »

racingmini_mtl wrote:Running a separate 12V for high current/noisy outputs (such as PWM outputs) is not a bad idea and that's what I have on my full size IOx board.

Jean
Makes sense to me. But, will there really be any appreciable suppression by having the noisy signal connected 12-18" away. Speaking only of the Flyback +12v. The grounds for the N-FET's will probably be about 4'. Will 1' on the Flyback make a difference? Should I dampen that pulse somehow? Capacitor and a resistor maybe?

It does look like the power converter might have some filtering.
20170319_125657.jpg
SethU
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by SethU »

Made a little headway on it today. Challenging little project. I think I'm as far along as I can be until the 26 gauge wire arrives. Thought 22 would be okay, but it's way too big given the amount of runs I need to make, tying the circuits together and from board to board. 26 should be okay I think.

Bottom two rows of components are for the 8 analog sensors (5 pressure, 3 temp).
The third row are the flyback diodes for the N-FET's (not on yet)
The 3 components stacked vertically on the right are the 2.49k resistors for the temp sensors.
20170325_160607.jpg2.jpg
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

I ... wow. My admiration for your patience, but there comes a moment when it's easier to download a free copy of Eagle, and order $9.95 worth of boards from Itead, or Seeed, or Elecrow ... :D
TTR Ignition Systems
SethU
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by SethU »

dontz125 wrote:I ... wow. My admiration for your patience, but there comes a moment when it's easier to download a free copy of Eagle, and order $9.95 worth of boards from Itead, or Seeed, or Elecrow ... :D
Sounds like my relative inexperience is costing me extra work. Tell me more.