missing port info

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

DanB
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Where did the ports go?

Post by DanB »

I have 2 cars running MS2. One is a v2.2 and the other is v.3. One is a 4cylinder Triumph, the other is a V8, 1uz Lexus engine in a TR7, both using EDIS and IAC. The v3 controller was originally built for the TR4A 4cylinder, and works. When we built the TR7 with the V8, we started out with the v2.2 board and got the car running, but it has electric fans, so I need control for them. I accessed the output ports on TunerStudio to configure those ports, enabled them, set parameters, etc., but it still would not work. I believe the v2.2 board is not configured for that, so I swapped controllers to the v3. The 2.2 will work in the 4cylinder car, or at least it will run and tune. I am not sure about the ports yet.
After putting the v3 controller in the 1uz car and loading the tune, the car starts and runs like it did. I opened the output ports tab in TS and got nothing. A window opens but is not populated. What do I need to do to fix? The v3 board was controlling the IAC on the 4 cylinder before....
DanB
Helpful MS/Extra'er

missing port info

Post by DanB »

IMG_4545.JPG
What would cause this?

I posted this on the MS2 section:

I have 2 cars running MS2. One is a v2.2 and the other is v.3. One is a 4cylinder Triumph, the other is a V8, 1uz Lexus engine in a TR7, both using EDIS and IAC. The v3 controller was originally built for the TR4A 4cylinder, and works. When we built the TR7 with the V8, we started out with the v2.2 board and got the car running, but it has electric fans, so I need control for them. I accessed the output ports on TunerStudio to configure those ports, enabled them, set parameters, etc., but it still would not work. I believe the v2.2 board is not configured for that, so I swapped controllers to the v3. The 2.2 will work in the 4cylinder car, or at least it will run and tune. I am not sure about the ports yet.
After putting the v3 controller in the 1uz car and loading the tune, the car starts and runs like it did. I opened the output ports tab in TS and got nothing. A window opens but is not populated. What do I need to do to fix? The v3 board was controlling the IAC on the 4 cylinder before....
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Where did the ports go?

Post by hybrid »

I don't think it's possible for TunerStudio to know the board version, so it shouldn't make any difference.
Do not load someone elses tune and expect it to work for you!
DanB
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by DanB »

How can it not show something there? Seems like even if they were not present you would have the list and they just wouldn't work. At least that is how it was with the 2.2 board.
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

It's usually only firmware that changes the ports that are available.
For example regular MS2 vs Microsquirt (cased) vs Microsquirt Module all have different outputs available.

Try creating a new project and see if anything changes?
Do not load someone elses tune and expect it to work for you!
DanB
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: missing port info

Post by DanB »

On this thread in the MS2 section, I have received a post that says it could be firmware related. I will try to update the firmware and see if that helps.
DanB
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by DanB »

Thanks for the reply! I will see if I can update the firmware. Hopefully that will help.
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

What firmware are you running?

Can you post an msq?
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
DanB
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by DanB »

2017-04-08_12.24.40.msq
Not sure what firmware. I haven't had the chance today to mess with it, but here is the latest msq
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

The output ports are coming up and are populated when I try your .Msq. TS 3.0.18.09 and Win 8.1
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

When I opened the MSQ it told me it needed the v2.3000 ini file. Once I loaded the ini file the MSQ loaded and the Port Settings displayed as normal.

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
DanB
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by DanB »

Thanks. Maybe it just needed a reboot. I will try again and see what happens.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

While you're at it, you might consider updating your firmware! That 2.3 is mighty old!

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
DanB
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by DanB »

Thanks, Ken. I will do that.
DanB
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by DanB »

I updated the firmware and found the ports by doing a search, but I have not been able to find the page to enable and configure through the menu. Where is that sucker? It used to be under properties...

Also, can I use spare ports to turn on and off the volvo fan relays? We have them wired to spare pins 3&4 on the DIY autotune generic V3.0 pigtail. I have the IAC connected to 1A,1B,2A and 2B. What do I need to do to get it working?

Thanks!
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

DanB wrote: I have not been able to find the page to enable and configure through the menu.
Not sure what page you mean. What firmware did you update to and have you read the manual?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
DanB
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by DanB »

Hi James, and thanks for replying so quickly. I upgraded the firmware to the current release, 3.4.2.

What I mean is, dropping down all the menus I have not been able to find the window to enable all the output ports. When I used the search box I was able to find it that way, but I looked through everything in the menus across the top of the page, fuel settings, ignition settings, communications, tools, etc. but I cannot find it.
I have been perusing the manual but have not found that yet....no doubt it is in there, just like the window when I searched the app for it....
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Boost/Advanced -> Programmable On/Off Outputs

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
DanB
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by DanB »

Never even considered looking there! Thanks!
DanB
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by DanB »

Thanks for helping me find how to activate the ports. I am unclear on whether or not I need to do anything to the circuitry or peripherals in order to use the spare ports to control the Volvo relays to drive power to my caravan fan. Can I just hook the spare port up so it will ground the relay when the temperature is reached without overloading something? These are designed to operate LEDs, correct? Switching a relay shouldn't require much current..
Again, this is a v3.0 board and I am using IAC from the Lexus, 4 wire, attached to 1a, 1b, 2a,2b.

Thanks!