Minimal INI file?

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

robs
Master MS/Extra'er

Minimal INI file?

Post by robs »

I have been becoming interested in electronics hardware lately and (just for fun) have built a few things like the $15 Megasquirt dashboard that would benefit from a more friendly interface to the firmware. It seems to me that many of the things TunerStudio does are broadly in the right vein and, given that I really don't like writing GUIs, I was wondering whether I might be able to configure TunerStudio to do the work.

I have been experimenting with trimming down an existing MS2 .ini file to see what it can do without, but it's pretty huge and I suspect it would be easier to start with a minimal .ini and build up from there. Is there such a creature? Also, is there any documentation of how the .ini file is processed (e.g. how TS decides whether to use CRCs, how it decides what to interrogate from the MS at startup)?

If it's a silly idea, please say so. It all might be too hard if the tie-in with MS hardware is tight -- I don't want to port Motorola's serial monitor to other hardware -- but I thought it'd be worth checking anyway.

And, BTW, my TS/MS2 connection has been fine for several days now. Seems I just needed to post a question to solve my problem. Easy fix all round!

Have fun,

Rob.
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Minimal INI file?

Post by ol boy »

I did a stripped down ini for a msdroid demo. Only thing I left the end user access to was test mode.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
robs
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by robs »

Thanks Ryan,

I'm after something a bit more stripped down: no menus, no knowledge of MS2 config variables. For experiment's sake I was aiming to pare down the .ini file to talk to the MS2, but only knowing how to poll it, and to display the first two bytes of the poll result on a clockGauge. Easy enough to get the display, but I found it hard trimming out all the incidental knowledge.

It's probably a bad idea anyway. While I like to understand the tools I work with, not everything is a Swiss army knife, and it's not a good idea to treat a screwdriver like a chisel even if broadly it is a similar gadget.

Have fun,

Rob.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I think I've got something fairly minimal. I'll send it over when I'm back at my desk.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
robs
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by robs »

Thanks for that James. I'll be interested to see it.

Have fun,

Rob.
robs
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by robs »

Managed to get something like what I wanted based on "jimstim2.1.ini". It was 8k vs. 380k for the MS2/Extra ini file and already pretty close to what I was after. Perhaps that's what you had in mind James?

In the end though, TunerStudio is a bit too tied in with engine tuning to be turned into a generic configuration tool. Has been interesting poking around anyway.

Have fun,

Rob.
davem
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by davem »

Hi Rob,
Would you be willing to share your minimal ini file? I've started paring mine down but this would save me a lot of time.

Thanks,
Dave.