The official "Post your custom-from-scratch dash" thread

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

Lokiel
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: The official "Post your custom-from-scratch dash" thread

Post by Lokiel »

benckj wrote:Are there any head units which run Android WiFi that could be used for Shadow dash display? The Wifi enables Apps & games to be downloaded onto device.

Technology seems to be moving quickly and being able to supply a head unit capable of running SD & gauge display must be on the horizon. Can someone tell me why a HU like the one below would not work?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/7-Andro ... 87bf9003e0

Ulitimately I'd like a HU which ran Windows and could run TS so tuning was possible. This one would work but $689 is still a bit steep considering a basic laptop tablet can be used for a fraction of the cost and this comes as a kit without CPU, RAM, etc. Basic complete unit is closer to the $1100 mark.

http://e3io.com/2din-carputer-a4-barebone

jim
Bang for buck, you can't beat an Android head unit, they're so useful in a car.

My experience with them can be read here: http://www.smallvolvos.com/799-introduc ... -sp23.html
and the latest in my Garage thread, starting here: http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... &start=828

BOTTOM LINE:
* If you can find a model that's specific to your car, it will probably fit with few issues (like the Mazda 3 unit I installed in my SP23).
* If you need to use a generic unit, be prepared for a lot of fitment hassles - I found it easier to fit a single-DIN unit with a detachable screen (the Double-DIN unit was impossible to fit in a 2004 Mazda NB).
* Get one with the largest resolution you can find, typically 1024x600 at this time for reasonably-priced units, since small screens are easily consumed by an App's buttons/menus.
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Thanks for the valuable info, will follow up on your recommendations.

In my MR2 I do have considerable dash space for installing so don't think I will have same issues as your MX5. What I am interested in is the downloading of Shadowdash and how well it runs on the HU.

Being a T-top with glass roof panels, glare is another concern of mine which is why I was looking at displays that can be re-positioned. Trouble with this idea is possible interference with my gear knob or blocking of dash vents which can be a downside in the hot summer heat and dependence on AC.

Jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water
theduck
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by theduck »

Finally got round to registering tunerstudio and having a play with the dashboards tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0WapwV-oLA
Ford Pinto (Euro 4cyl 2.0l SOHC) with TF035 Turbocharger - Now powered by MS2 V3.0 running MS2/Extra 3.4.2.
magaiverbrasil
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by magaiverbrasil »

beavis wrote:Pretty much finished now on my Dash, and quite chuffed with the result. :)
Created images for all the indicators i want to use, so things like overboost, CEL, and FanOn now display with stylish icons.

https://youtu.be/fqnVJwmXLkA

I like this dash, whats price ?
Vw Santana AP 2.0 - MSII PCB3.0 Extra 3.2.1
beavis
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by beavis »

Hi magaiverbrasil,

They are all available on the website: http://tunerstudiodashboards.com/

After making that dash you quoted above, I was inspired to make a few others.... and hope to make some more soon :)

jay_rich
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jay_rich »

beavis wrote:Hi magaiverbrasil,

They are all available on the website: http://tunerstudiodashboards.com/

After making that dash you quoted above, I was inspired to make a few others.... and hope to make some more soon :)

Amazing. I'll be looking for a tablet now. How much to modify the Lambo one a tad?

Jay
1987 Camaro Z28 5.3L/T56 Turbo MS3PRO
Austin Finley
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Austin Finley »

Made it for myself/part of my senior thesis. Still need to find a knob for fuel table switch and finish up the wiring but here it is! If people are interested I can do a write up on how i made it later
beavis
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by beavis »

jay_rich wrote: Amazing. I'll be looking for a tablet now. How much to modify the Lambo one a tad?

Jay
Hey Jay, in case you missed my PM, shoot me a message via the website and I can see what we can do. http://tunerstudiodashboards.com/
RGNHD
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by RGNHD »

Austin Finley wrote:Made it for myself/part of my senior thesis. Still need to find a knob for fuel table switch and finish up the wiring but here it is! If people are interested I can do a write up on how i made it later
I am digging this a lot! Definitely in for a write up!
gjls
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by gjls »

Microsoft Surface 3 running Tuner Studio connected with Bluetooth.
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Finially purchased and installed my Android head unit with 7" screen. It's Wifi capable so will download Shawdodash as well as RealDash to have a play. Report back with pics soon.

Jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Just have basic dash displays now but working on my own design following this threads inspiration. Simply pleased I have it working on my new Chinese HU after difficulties downloading Shadow Dash. Now I need to work out a way so the gauge display comes up automatically on boot-up. Downloaded an App for this but doesn't always allow SD to connect to controller.
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Continue playing with my dash set-up and utilizing Apps like EZStart which automatically boots up SD after car is started. Probably my biggest hurtle is working with Android as I've always had an Apple device supplied through work.

After trolling through this thread again I started to wonder why there isn't a database of custom dashes which can be downloaded and modified for own use. There are some really cool ideas which would be great to use as a starting point. I know some developers have lay-outs for sale but with no disrespect intended the custom dashes from users are more suitable. Just a thought. :idea:

jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

Lots of people were sharing dash files in this thread, but forum attachments get periodically wiped in order to save, like, 8MB of server space so the dash files get lost.
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Probably not strictly in-line with this thread but thought I'd ask the question as plenty of Droid users trolling around.

Does anyone know a simple way to install a splash screen on an Android 5.1 Head Unit? As shown above I have SD running on my HU and it looks and works great. It would be nice to have the start up screen a little more personal than simply warning messages telling me not to drive while watching movies or the typical android figure. Want to install something simple like "Toyota MR2- Run by Megasquirt". Eventually, I'd like a little graphics running like the Toyota symbol included and maybe spins in sequence with MS or a turbo spooling up. Even a MS gauge display would be cool.

I've done a fair amount of googling and I get quite lost in the code as I generally use an iPhone. Looking for an app which will do this for me but all the leads have come up with more questions than answers (Cordova seems the most promising).

http://blog.ionic.io/automating-icons-a ... h-screens/

So I'm appealing to the wider MS community for help with this fun project. Go easy on me as I'm just a beginner but enjoy tinkering with these sort of things provided I have a little guidance. And yes, this is only for a little bit of WOW factor.

jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Follow-up on above request.

With some outside assistance I managed to change the boot logo start-up which was supplied through the HU directory. Following this I would like to install an animated screen using a program called "Boot Animation & Root" then move file into Root directory vis an App called " EST Manager". Reason I would like is that after the Toyota symbol appears on boot up it only appears for a few secs then gets replaced by the HU warning not to drive while watching movies.

While all of this is fairly straight forward it only uses symbols and animation supplied through App. Would be really nice to have a MS specific animation to use but I believe this is beyond my capabilities. Can one of the SD, EFI or MS programmers create something that our Droid users can use? Would be good product advertisement. :idea:

Link hat contains many car model animations to try.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/androi ... a-t3351617

jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Something like this and an opening screen.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/attach ... 1460329058
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
thieledj
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by thieledj »

Porsche 356 Dash.doc
Here is my "Porsche 356" dash that I use in my turboed Superbug. I have made it the default home landscape dash for my tablet that is mounted on the R/H/S of the dash (R/H/D). The speedo and tacho backgrounds are from various models of 356's.

Hooroo

David Thiele
goodysgotacuda
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by goodysgotacuda »

My first attempt at playing with the dash. 5.7L Hemi 'Cuda (1972)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 8.36.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 8.36.09 PM.png (270.58 KiB) Viewed 17088 times
1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - 5.7L Hemi w/T56 Magnum

MS3 Gold Box, TunerStudio MS/MegaLogViewerHD user
Space387
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Space387 »

Its not a pretty as some but This is my background so far. Cant seem to get the Tach gauge to look right. How do you remove the numerical readout?
Attachments
C4dash populated.png
C4dash populated.png (233.86 KiB) Viewed 16910 times
94 Pontiac Firebird Formula
5.7L LT1 (optispark)
Ms3+3x