autotune for AE

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

autotune for AE

Post by Yves »

Why is there no autotune function for AE ?
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: autotune for AE

Post by Yves »

Well that's clear :lol:
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

There are a couple significant technical challenges I can see with this.

1. The official response time of most wideband O2 sensors is 0.3 seconds. Three hundred milliseconds. I'm not sure if they define response time, as I've seen them take SOME action to an individual cylinder misfire. But the AE event may not be long enough for the wideband to actually get a good read.

2. You'd have to get the time delay between the combustion event and the exhaust traveling to the O2 sensor spot-on to make sure it has grabbed the right bit of data.

3. On a related note, if the O2 sensor was far enough downstream, the "slug" of rich or lean exhaust could have been diluted by the adjacent pulses before it reaches the cylinder.

4. You'd need to make sure the underlying VE table is spot-on.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

Matt Cramer wrote:There are a couple significant technical challenges I can see with this.

1. The official response time of most wideband O2 sensors is 0.3 seconds. Three hundred milliseconds. I'm not sure if they define response time, as I've seen them take SOME action to an individual cylinder misfire. But the AE event may not be long enough for the wideband to actually get a good read.

2. You'd have to get the time delay between the combustion event and the exhaust traveling to the O2 sensor spot-on to make sure it has grabbed the right bit of data.

3. On a related note, if the O2 sensor was far enough downstream, the "slug" of rich or lean exhaust could have been diluted by the adjacent pulses before it reaches the cylinder.

4. You'd need to make sure the underlying VE table is spot-on.
Thanks Matt.