oil temp sensor via can not reading correct

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

oil temp sensor via can not reading correct

Post by Yves »

I have an GM coolant temp sensor that I use as an oil temperature sensor and has it proprietary circuitry via a can board (iox). The thing worked well up untill recently. Now the readings are all over the place. The most noteworthy is that when putting ignition on, it seems to react like a WB sensor would but inversed. I mean, a reading of say 90°F for the first second or so, then a reading of 50°F for the next second and then it goes to -13°F.

Cannot find anything wrong with my setup.

Input appreciated.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: oil temp sensor via can not reading correct

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Have you checked the voltage at the sensor and at the IOx? That sounds like a bad physical connection for that sensor. It could be anywhere from the sensor to the input circuit itself.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

at the sensor I have 4.97 V. At the IOX I have also around 5V.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

That's what you'd measure without any sensor connected. The 5V you see comes from the 5V pull up; the sensor would make this lower. Check your sensor return (ground) wiring.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

racingmini_mtl wrote:That's what you'd measure without any sensor connected. The 5V you see comes from the 5V pull up; the sensor would make this lower. Check your sensor return (ground) wiring.

Jean
Jean, I measured voltage over the 2 wires going to the sensor. Wouldn't that confirm ground is ok ?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

That would mean the sensor has a very high resistance, possibly infinite. The latter would indicate a failed sensor. Disconnect the sensor and check its resistance.

Jean
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

I checked the resistance over the sensor and I do have resistance here.

I then connected the pigtail of a iat sensor to the wiring and connected this to the circuit. The GM iat has the same resistance value, but the reaction on the gauge is the same : first a value of around 90°F then after a second 50°F and then it goes to -13°F. Looks to me something else is wrong.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

One thing you could do is to connect a potentiometer in place of the sensor and check the ADC value on the IOx. If the ADC value moves as you move the pot and you see the same changes for the oil temp then the issue is the sensor or its connection. If the ADC value moves but you get the same thing for the oil temp you currently do, the issue is either a CAN transfer or a calibration issue. If the ADC value doesn't move, you have a problem with the IOx input circuit or the CPU.

If the issue seems to be on the IOx from the previous test, you will need to follow the voltage from the sensor (or pot) all the way to the CPU to see where the fault is.

Jean
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

A potentiometer...Can't I just use the iat and use a hair dryer on it ? ADC values should then change.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

As long as you can see the ADC value change. You could also measure how much the resistance changes to make sure it is significant.

Jean
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I should add that one issue with that is that you don't eliminate the sensor from the test which would be useful.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

I did the following : put a raw signal gauge for the channel which is the oil temp on it. I then plugged in the ecu and let it do it's thing. The raw values exhibit the same behavior. first a lower value, then after a second an medium value and then a final high value.

However, when disconnecting the pigtail from the oil temp sensor, where it should change again, it didn't do anything. It just stayed at the last value (see previous paragraph).

Kinda strange that it started doing this after the last TS upgrade.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

I just tried something else. I changed the adp designations and used adp15 on channel 23/visa versa and set that as my oil temp sensor. Now it does work....raw value is solid as well. Temp reading is close to the CLT and IAT. :shock:
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

any ideas ?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Can you post the entire project (not just the msq but the project backup containing both the MS3 and IOx)? Do this for both the version that works and the one where is doesn't. Make sure you don't include the datalogs and restore points in the backup (unselect the check boxes on the right).

Jean
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

even with everything unnecessary deleted it's still to big to post here. It only allows 716 kB.