Starting Issues continue to plague me! Help!

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Starting Issues continue to plague me! Help!

Post by woznaldo »

Still having issues with the car and just can't get it started so I've pulled my MS1 off the car and hooked up the Stim to see if anything untoward is happening.

I have noticed a few weird things that I can't explain. It might be my settings, but I don't think so.

1. If I adjust the CLT or MAT for a given RPM, when the Temp goes above a certain point, the PW goes to zero? If I increase the RPM, the Temp at which the PW goes to zero increases.

2. Occasionally INJ2 wasn't firing at all (couldn't get it to happen during the datalog), which was happening on the car, but all injectors are now connected to INJ1.

3. At one point and the PW wasn't changing with RPM. This happened once and not while datalogging.

In the attached datalog you can see the Temp/RPM/PW interaction, but not the other two issues?

If anyone could possibly point to a part of the board that looks after this interaction(?), that would be great. I have visually checked and can't see any dry solders, but that's not definitive.

I also have an oscilloscope if that will be useful?

Woz
Trying to make my Renault 5 GT Turbo a bit more driveable and a lot more reliable!

1988 Renault 5 GT Turbo MS2 Extra
1972 Datsun 510 - L18 on Twin Webers
1973 Jaguar XJ6 - 4.2 XK on std twin SUs, but plans to squirt in the near future...
woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Starting Issues continue to plague me! Help!

Post by woznaldo »

I reloaded the firmware using the boot loader and then sent the current tune to the ECU, but the fault remains. This sounds more like a settings issue, something in the tune? I can't seem to see anything obvious.

If I drop the RPM to 250 RPM with the Cranking RPM set at 400, so it's only using the Cranking PW, the fault still remains?
Trying to make my Renault 5 GT Turbo a bit more driveable and a lot more reliable!

1973 Jaguar XJ6 - 4.2 XK on std twin SUs, but plans to squirt in the near future...
woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by woznaldo »

No change. If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it!

woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by woznaldo »

I've conducted the 'injector circuit test' on Matt's diyautotune site and everything checks out ok? I've even confirmed that voltages are where they need to be and again all good.

I'm not sure what else I can check? No setting changes since the last msq upload, so not sure what's going on. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the Stim?

I've also bitten the bullet and ordered the MS2 Daughter Board from Matt together with a 'JimStim', so when it arrives i'll test again and see if the fault remains?

DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Your log is using the stim? Not sure if it does matter, but I'd do another with the TPS pot set to give a positive number. When correctly set on the car the TPS won't give a negative reading.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by woznaldo »

Thanks Dave, yes it is on the stim.

I'll take a look and report back.

woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by woznaldo »

I thought you may have been onto something there, but it made no difference? The fault does seem to be pretty consistent at least.

I've attached the latest datalog and msq.

DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Do you get the same result if the re-load the firmware and use that base map? If not, I'd be inclined to start with that and copy over your working tune settings one by one.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by woznaldo »

DaveEFI wrote:Do you get the same result if the re-load the firmware and use that base map? If not, I'd be inclined to start with that and copy over your working tune settings one by one.
Dave, yes when I reloaded the firmware and the same map nothing changed. Like you say, I think your approach may at least identify if it's one of my settings?

woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by woznaldo »

I found an old msq from a while back and loaded it up and it has cured the issue. I have compare the to msq's, but still can't see a reason why these older settings don't have the same issue?

woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by woznaldo »

I've not thrown my MS1 back on the car yet as I had a little mishap with my stim power supply and cooked the Q3 qnd Q5 transitors! Oops.

With Q3 and Q5 replaced, I have hooked up the stim and things are working better, but now I have a slightly different issue?

See the attached datalogs. Settings for the first log are as follows:

RPM: 230-240
CLT: 10 deg C
MAT: 45 deg C
MAP: 93 kPa

Power is connected to the stim and the MS jumps into life on the expected Cranking PW Table (all good). RPM is slowly increased to 500 RPM and PW drops to zero? So MS is trying to switch over to the main Fuel Table (with VE of about 65-67ish), but it doesn't? I now increase the CLT slowly to 65-70 deg C and finally the MS picks up the main Fuel Table? I now lower the CLT back to 10 deg C and the MS remains on the main Fuel Table as expected?

Second Log

RPM: 230-240
CLT: 70 deg C
MAT: 45 deg C
MAP: 93 kPa

Power connected to MS and the Cranking PW Table is picked up. RPM increased to 500 RPM and MS jumps across to the main Fuel Table, i.e. works as expected?

So a different issue but still temp related?

woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by woznaldo »

Ok, I've picked up the issue this time. It's the warm up wizard. All settings to zero for its range. As soon as CLT is outside range (70 deg C) PW jumps into life. I've just checked the msq from 30 Jun 17 and realised the warm up wizard had settings that were minus 100 i.e. 5, 10, 15 instead of 105, 110, 115. Looks like all is good.

Thanks to all who have helped with my dramas.