TS dashboards and shadow dash

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: TS dashboards and shadow dash

Post by benckj »

Thanks for that and I've read it several times before. It is still confusing on the how the data is shared between the controller and display device which is why I asked the question. Often after using TS to tune the car and I re-connect to SD using the car HU display items will change. Also depending on what device is being used alternative options for display are available (ie Car HU vs Tablet).

From a users perspective its just far more complicated than necessary. I really like the SD display and is one of the main reasons why I went with MS product. Even my Mechanic commented when completing a WOF (warrant of fitness) that this display is one of the best he has seen even compared with new cars.
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water
VWRalf
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by VWRalf »

Brian H EFI wrote:I am assuming that you are using 2 gauges to make up the one gauge and the needle of the second gauge is offset from its base gauge ? If that is the case I believe the way to fix the offset issue is to resize TunerStudio,s dashboard to be smaller to better match your Phone or Tablet,s aspect ratio.
Actually all I did was remove a bunch of the extra gauges and indicators from the default dashboard and edited their look a little.
Shadow Dash view:

Here is how it looks in TS.
Brian H EFI
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Brian H EFI »

I would use a USB stick to transfer the dashboard file from your PC to your Head Unit. Once you have made the dashboard that you want to use and saved it in TunerStudio go to C:\Users\Your PC User Account Name\Documents\TunerStudioProjects\Your Project Name\dashboard and copy the dashboard file that you created to the USB stick. Now with the USB stick connected to your Head Unit copy the dashboard file from the USB stick to your Head Units internal storage\Shadow Dash MS\Your firmware family\dashboard folder. Now you need to rename your dash file so it replaces the dashboard you would like it to, dash 0 and 1 are the 2 dashboards after the home dashboard. If you would like to replace the home dashboard then you would need back up 2 directories to the Shadow Dash MS folder and the home_landscape and portrait dashboard files will be there.

We do want to make the transfer process more straight forward and have been working toward that but are not there yet.
Brian H EFI
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Brian H EFI »

VWRalf

When you made that dashboard did you use the default needles or edit them ? I was doing some testing and found that when using the default needles they do appear centered in Shadow Dash but if you edit the needle it is then offset when loaded to Shadow Dash. This is definitely something we will need to look into and is not an aspect ratio issue as I thought.
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Thanks Brian for all your help & advice.

Very glad you plan to make gauge transfer process more straight forward. I can follow your logic but have limited time to play with car when I'm home. Often its only when I'm on the road that I like to change and experiment with different looks. For some reason when I edit display on tablet then try and import into the HU everything gets cocked up. End up changing back to default display and I have to start all over again. For the life of me I can't find things like coolant or IAT temps from pick lists so have to re-create. Can be a frustrating process for those of us not familiar with the software.

Jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water
VWRalf
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by VWRalf »

Brian H EFI wrote:VWRalf

When you made that dashboard did you use the default needles or edit them ? I was doing some testing and found that when using the default needles they do appear centered in Shadow Dash but if you edit the needle it is then offset when loaded to Shadow Dash. This is definitely something we will need to look into and is not an aspect ratio issue as I thought.
Using the default needles fixes it. Can't use any of the needle images.