indicator for FIDLE

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

ChevelleFan
Master MS/Extra'er

indicator for FIDLE

Post by ChevelleFan »

I have my MS2 is configured to control my radiator fan via FIDLE. In Boost/Advanced --> Programmable On/Off output, I have FIDLE turn on/off based on coolant value. Works perfect.

On my Tunerstudio dashboard, I want to make an indicator bulb for this, but I don't see FIDLE in the list of output channels. How do I set this up?

-Dave
'70 Chevelle ZZ383/700r4/3.73 MS3X, 36-1, LS Coils, Holley Stealthram -- success story
'92 Saturn 1.9 DOHC/5sp, MS3, Champcar racer success story
'79 Malibu DartSHP400/80mm/PG/3.55, MS3X/36-1/LS Coils -- success story
Porsche 944 S2 3.0 -- MS3X/36-1/LS Coils, 1:44s Mid-Ohio, Pro Course
Brian H EFI
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: indicator for FIDLE

Post by Brian H EFI »

I took a look in the MS2 firmware that I have loaded here and it looks like port0 is the output channel for FIDLE. If you have a TunerStudio registration then what you want to do is turn on "Designer Mode" and add an indicator to your dashboard. Next right click on the dashboard and go to "Dashboard Designer" >> "Properties Dialog". Now select the new indicator so it has the yellow x on it, in the properties dialog change the Output Channel to "port0". Next you will want to update the indicator ON and OFF labels at the bottom of the properties dialog. Now to test the indicator connect to the ECU, turn on test mode then turn FIDLE pin on and see if the indicator switches as it should. If it does not please go to help then click on "Create TunerStudio Debug Package" and email that file to me so I can take a look specifically at the firmware you are using.
ChevelleFan
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by ChevelleFan »

I finally got a chance to try this over the weekend and port0 worked as you described. Thanks!

-Dave
'70 Chevelle ZZ383/700r4/3.73 MS3X, 36-1, LS Coils, Holley Stealthram -- success story
ChevelleFan
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by ChevelleFan »

Sorry to dig up my old thread -- but is port0's status logged in log files? I didn't see an entry for FIDLE or port0 when loading up a log in MLVHD.

Thanks,

-Dave
2swe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 2swe »

yes, it's field "ON/Off Outputs Status Bits".
I also use MS2 and fidle for fan control, "ON/Off Outputs Status Bits" is mostly 0, and goes to 1, with fan running.
1978 vw golf gti 16v itb cop full sequential MS2
1992 vw corrado 16v moonlight blue MS2
95ponymobile
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 95ponymobile »

Brian H EFI wrote:I took a look in the MS2 firmware that I have loaded here and it looks like port0 is the output channel for FIDLE. If you have a TunerStudio registration then what you want to do is turn on "Designer Mode" and add an indicator to your dashboard. Next right click on the dashboard and go to "Dashboard Designer" >> "Properties Dialog". Now select the new indicator so it has the yellow x on it, in the properties dialog change the Output Channel to "port0". Next you will want to update the indicator ON and OFF labels at the bottom of the properties dialog. Now to test the indicator connect to the ECU, turn on test mode then turn FIDLE pin on and see if the indicator switches as it should. If it does not please go to help then click on "Create TunerStudio Debug Package" and email that file to me so I can take a look specifically at the firmware you are using.
This may be a stupid question but is there a chart or something that shows the indicators and associated ports? Thanks
95ponymobile
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 95ponymobile »

Brian H EFI wrote:I took a look in the MS2 firmware that I have loaded here and it looks like port0 is the output channel for FIDLE. If you have a TunerStudio registration then what you want to do is turn on "Designer Mode" and add an indicator to your dashboard. Next right click on the dashboard and go to "Dashboard Designer" >> "Properties Dialog". Now select the new indicator so it has the yellow x on it, in the properties dialog change the Output Channel to "port0". Next you will want to update the indicator ON and OFF labels at the bottom of the properties dialog. Now to test the indicator connect to the ECU, turn on test mode then turn FIDLE pin on and see if the indicator switches as it should. If it does not please go to help then click on "Create TunerStudio Debug Package" and email that file to me so I can take a look specifically at the firmware you are using.
Is there a list or chart that shows or lists the indicators and associated ports? Thanks
sschutte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by sschutte »

ChevelleFan wrote:Sorry to dig up my old thread -- but is port0's status logged in log files? I didn't see an entry for FIDLE or port0 when loading up a log in MLVHD.

Thanks,

-Dave
These states are logged but they are done at port level (you need to know how to isolate the bit that identify the pin of interest). Most people do not like binary math and find it easier to just add a Data Log Field for a output channel using the Tools >Custom Channel Editor. The following generic steps can be used to figure out what output channel you need to user:

1) Make sure you have PORT_STATUS set to activated under Project Properties (File > Vehicle Project > Project Properties > Settings Tab)
2) Create a new dashboard (It will now have indicators for all your on/off ports since PORT_STATUS is active)
3) Change to dash to designer mode and inspect the indicator's output channel. R click Indicator > Dashboard Designer > Properties Dialog > Output Channel
4) Create new Data Log Field (+) in Tools >Custom Channel Editor using the above output channel. Save Changes
5) Capture the log and inspect the value should get 0 or 1 for off/on
sschutte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by sschutte »

95ponymobile wrote:Is there a list or chart that shows or lists the indicators and associated ports? Thanks
None that I know of. All this stuff is defined in the ini file that comes with your firmware. The ini file can be hard for non programmer types to read so most people end up activating PORT_STATUS in Project Properties > Settings and creating new dash with all the indicators. See my last post on how to figure out what output channels are tied to each indicator/programmable pin.
95ponymobile
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 95ponymobile »

Thanks for the reply. Sounds easy enough. Thanks again!