Toyota A340 control

'Microsquirt' Transmission Control development and support.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Turbofreakdotcom
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Toyota A340 control

Post by Turbofreakdotcom »

Can I get a suggestion to handle this issue?
The present trans controller in the Supra uses the cruise control coast/accelerate switch by tapping into the wire going to cruise computer. I'd like to continue using this, but that wire has 9.5 volts at steady state with no button pressed while engine not running.
Upshift button = 1.8 volt
Downshift button = 3.5
No button pressed = 9.5 on wire.

Will 9-10 volts on the TPS line burn something up?
Updated 6/20/18:
87 Supra-3.0 1.5JZ-A340 trans
MS2 ECU
MS2 Trans controller
devojet
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by devojet »

You could use a resistor and 5v zener diode to cap the voltage on the input to 5v. The same as used on the selector inputs.

Cheers
Daniel
26 Chev hotrod with a 1UZFE and MS3x, Flex fuel, GPIO Transmission control and LCDash.
Twin turbo LS3 powered Race boat with MS3pro and GPIO.
MS2 on a 22r in a Hilux (mates car).
MS2extra on a turbo EF Falcon (brothers car).
Toyota Supra 1jz MS2extra, COP.
13B Turbo MS2extra.
Turbofreakdotcom
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Thank you Daniel,
I ran out of zener diodes so I had nothing to test with. The trans MS2 was installed it today and works great. Thank you to all of you for this option!
I very few time gaps from time to time, I am not sure if CAN wires need to be shielded or not. The wires are twisted right now....
Updated 6/20/18:
MS2 ECU
MS2 Trans controller
devojet
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by devojet »

CAN wires can be just straight wires. Dont need to be shielded.

Cheers
Daniel
26 Chev hotrod with a 1UZFE and MS3x, Flex fuel, GPIO Transmission control and LCDash.
13B Turbo MS2extra.
Turbofreakdotcom
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Ok. All time gaps, maybe a few in a 20 minute log, are exactly 0.69 sec. Does 0.69 gap that mean anything to anyone?
Updated 6/20/18:
MS2 ECU
MS2 Trans controller
acab
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by acab »

There are any "Gear position" menu for A340?
Cant find.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

acab wrote:There are any "Gear position" menu for A340?
Cant find.
I'm not sure what you mean?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Suprazz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Suprazz »

Still no plans to add a generic pwm output function so we can play with SLN selenoid (Back pressure control)???
I'm installing a trans controller on a lexus is300 this week.
Best looking and most advanced CAN-bus gauge
Toyota Supra 7MGE, 7M-GTE and 1JZ-GTE Plug and play ECUs: http://www.perfecttuning.net
Serial to Bluetooth or Serial to WiFi
DIYAutotune Canadian, EFI Source and ECUMaster reseller!
Frankzz
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Frankzz »

I just keep to the A340 thread.
I am using a Volvo D5 engine to a AW30-43LE (basiclly a A340 or A341, has solenoid for pressure anyway) in a Jeep.
After realizing that the first plans for TCU will not work I will go for the Microsquirt TCU.

First of all, is it the same code for Mega Shift ans Micro TCU? I read it is not but can only find one transmission code to download.
From what I can tell I will need to modify the code for the gear selector switch since it is for high input when using A340. The Volvo switch is to ground and has 4 outputs.
It should be easy enough, it is described how to do the opposite earlier in this post.
I have downloaded 1.0.2 beta2A and 1.0.1 and cant´t find gear selector switch anywhere. What am I doing wrong?
ScreenHunter_380 Apr. 19 11.29.jpg
Volvo Amazon -69. T5 with AW30-43, Chopped and widen in the middle. Citroen suspension
Range Rover -78 with BMW M67 V8 twin turbo diesel
Jeep -61 with Wrangler -06 body. D5 with 30-43, Toyota transfer case and portal axles
Volvo B 58 -79 bus. 14,5 meter party bus with garage in the rear
Frankzz
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Frankzz »

I can answer my own question.
Found the definition of gear selector switch in
trans_main.c
Have not figured out what to change yet

Found the reversing of polarity of the gear selector in trans_init.c
That one I think I know how to fix.

I am not even going to pretend that I know what I am doing. This will trail and error. Any help appropriated
Volvo Amazon -69. T5 with AW30-43, Chopped and widen in the middle. Citroen suspension
Jeep -61 with Wrangler -06 body. D5 with 30-43, Toyota transfer case and portal axles
Frankzz
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Frankzz »

I will answer my own question again. Today I changed the code so the gear position switch input are low (for a A341) and changed to logic so it corresponds to the Volvo switch. It was not that hard but spent a good 10 hours to get the code to compile.
I have help from some who programmed OEM transmissions for 40 years, by myself I dont have a chance.

Now I need to configure the CAN so it works with Volvo ECU. It is way over my head but we got some done with that today.
Anyone done this before? Change CAN in Microsquirt to work with 3rd party device? I know it works to send to data loggers and dash but I need to get data to the Microsquirt.

For anyone who is running Volvo 30-43 transmission I have a working code for Volvo gearswitch.
shocktower
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by shocktower »

A343F Ok I am trying to figure this out, since it is a 340 tranny, and I believe they are very similar, maybe I can get some help. This tranny is in the 95-97 Toyota Land cruiser, I have been running it for a while, attached to a Cummins 6BT and have some base lines, but I want to get more out of it, my mane thing is down shifting, and getting the lock up to re lock up after a down shift, I only have the lock up in 3 and 4th gears, the 4th is the over drive, my tranny has a OD button, but it is disabled, can I enable, it again so I can manually down shift like it used to, I am really lost in the set up, I can turn wrenches and make things, but this tuning through a lap top I am lost. Any input would be appreciated and I thank you
Harreh
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Harreh »

Hi Guys,

Just got this all wired up and working in my Toyota soarer, however whenever the latching OD switch is selected it overrides all the selector positions. The 4th gear state is persisting. If I turn OD off I get the correct positions but while ever the factory OD switch is on it fails to correctly read the position.

Has anyone seen this?
jamies
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by jamies »

in tunerstudio change a couple gauges to active gear, and selector position, and gear sel bits and see what you get in each position to help determine whats going on, also post up a datalog
Harreh
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Harreh »

Will get a datalog tonight.

As far as I can see though it could be an issue with the selector wiring, even if not in D the OD state is always triggered in this car, IE its forever persistant even if in Park.

Easiest solution I think will be a transistor on the D/OD feed so OD state can only be active if it's in D
devojet
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by devojet »

Harreh wrote:Easiest solution I think will be a transistor on the D/OD feed so OD state can only be active if it's in D
Thats how I wired up mine.
13B Turbo MS2extra.
Harreh
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Harreh »

devojet wrote:
Harreh wrote:Easiest solution I think will be a transistor on the D/OD feed so OD state can only be active if it's in D
Thats how I wired up mine.
Ahh yeah I saw your earlier posts about installing yours in an MA70. So you experienced similar issues?

How do you find the setup compares to the stock ECT? 91 soarer and 87 MA70 have very similar implimentations and shift patterns/control
devojet
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by devojet »

I think you have the wrong person. My 1uz/a340 is in a hot rod. I havent had any problems with my set up. I have never driven it with the factory controller so cant comment on that.

Cheers
Daniel
13B Turbo MS2extra.
knightrous
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by knightrous »

The selector circuit in the documentation (and posted in this thread) is flawed.
The OD input is controlled by it's own latching button and can be turned on at any time regardless of current selector position. When the selector is in R or L, turning the OD button will trigger all 3 SEL outputs, causing the TCU to flag a shift fault.

As Harreh mentioned, a transistor inline with the OD button and trigger by the D selector is going to be the only way to fix this.

I think the following circuit is a suitable replacement (pending Harreh's testing).
'89 Toyota MR2 AW11 - 1MZFE 3L V6 - Need to finish car before ecu :(
'89 Toyota MR2 AW11 - 16V 4AGZE - DIYPNP 1.5v
'90 Toyota MR2 SW20 - 1MZFE 3L V6 - MS3X
Harreh
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Harreh »

Just tested the circuit provided by Knightrous. Completely working. So for anyone using this in an A340 with a latching switch this is the way to go