Board stopped working. No power

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Boosted21
MS/Extra Newbie

Board stopped working. No power

Post by Boosted21 »

I built a DIYPNP bosche 55 pin ms a few weeks ago. At first I wasnt getting voltage while testing pins, then I found some solder bridges, fixed them, and it worked. I was able to then load firmware and even my base tune. then I connected it to my car plugged in my laptop, and nothing. I removed it hooked it up with the wall connector and am not getting any voltage on the pins now. What?? Went back through and all the pins look fine, any reason why it would suddenly stop working?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Board stopped working. No power

Post by Matt Cramer »

Check the power on both the 12V and VREF points, and let me know what you measure.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Boosted21
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Boosted21 »

Matt Cramer wrote:Check the power on both the 12V and VREF points, and let me know what you measure.
Awesome will do tonight! This is using the wall power supply correct?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Yes. That will test the board on its own without possible wiring issues on the car.
Boosted21
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Boosted21 »

Matt Cramer wrote:Yes. That will test the board on its own without possible wiring issues on the car.
Alright looks like both of those pins are getting power. 12v looks like its getting 12 and vref looks like its getting around 5
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

OK - will the board communicate when just powered through the power supply?
Boosted21
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Boosted21 »

Matt Cramer wrote:OK - will the board communicate when just powered through the power supply?
Actually yeah when it was getting the 12vs then it was communicating again! Then I only put half of the cover box on it so it could have some support and it stopped working again... wtf.. now when plugged into the wall its reading around 2 volts to the 12v pin and vref about 1. what could cause it stop working just because I slid half of it into the black case thing?? thanks again I really appreciate it

and yeah it was communicating again when I was getting those 12 volts but isnt again now
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Slide it back into the case and test, then out of the case and test. Let's see if the case causes a repeatable failure or whether that was just a coincidence. I gotta ask... are there any bare jumpers or long component leads that could drag on the case?
Boosted21
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Boosted21 »

billr wrote:Slide it back into the case and test, then out of the case and test. Let's see if the case causes a repeatable failure or whether that was just a coincidence. I gotta ask... are there any bare jumpers or long component leads that could drag on the case?
Its not even connecting when out of the case now though. There were some wire strands that couldve been dragging but I just cleaned all of them up and also cleaned the board with some isopropyl alcohol and still the same voltage at vref and 12v pins. Im testing the pin on the back of the 12v connector plug on the other side of the board and its only reading around 2v, does this mean my wall plug is bad now?

actually nvm just tested wall adapter and its giving out 12v. Is the plug it connects to on the board possibly wack tho?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

If you don't have the expected voltage (12V in your case) from pin 28 to one of the (many) ground pins, measure right at the mainboard DB37 connector, then it pretty much has to be the adapter, its wiring, or how it connects to the MS. How is the wall adapter connected to the MS DB37, are you using a spare DB37 plug for that or something more "inventive"?
Boosted21
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Boosted21 »

[/img]
billr wrote:If you don't have the expected voltage (12V in your case) from pin 28 to one of the (many) ground pins, measure right at the mainboard DB37 connector, then it pretty much has to be the adapter, its wiring, or how it connects to the MS. How is the wall adapter connected to the MS DB37, are you using a spare DB37 plug for that or something more "inventive"?
I dont believe I actually have the db37 connector on my board. I got the bosch 55 pin diy kit, this board also has a nice plug for the 12v so nothing special...

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2& ... w1366-h629

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2& ... w1366-h629
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Oops, I forgot this isn't a standard MS. I have no clue how yours is supposed to be powered.
Boosted21
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Boosted21 »

billr wrote:Oops, I forgot this isn't a standard MS. I have no clue how yours is supposed to be powered.
shiiiiiiiiiiiit haha

anyone else??
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

See if the voltage drop still happens with the MicroSquirt Module plugged in. This will help pin down if the module or the main board is shorted.