Duel VR V2.1A conditioner

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

supercharger_mark
MS/Extra Newbie

Duel VR V2.1A conditioner

Post by supercharger_mark »

Hi
I'm trying to control dual VVT cams on a ford barra 6cyl motor, I have control of ignition and fuel but MS3X V3.57 will only run one cam, so I purchased a Duel VR conditioner. I've been reading the instructions, and have a plan of action, (see pic).
20171201_170919.jpg
20171201_170919.jpg (123.8 KiB) Viewed 367 times
I've mounted the VR conditioner to the case and connected earth and 5v power to the board, next is connect (out 1) on VR board to (pin 2,3 or 4 at J1) on MS board, but (J1) has a plug attached to all the pins, (see pic)
20171201_173548.jpg
20171201_173548.jpg (81.94 KiB) Viewed 367 times
so, do I simply solder the jumper from (out 1) to the bottom of the pin and leave the plug in place? and the same thing with VR1- to DB37 spair pin?

It also said to attach the VR sensor to the spair pin selected on DB37 and pin 24 crank tach, but I have the crank VR input already connected to that pin, so what input would I use?
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Mark.
Drew442
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Duel VR V2.1A conditioner

Post by Drew442 »

That conditioner outputs a 5v square wave. You can just write it directly to an analogue input.

You already have crank angle input to the normal MS3 location and the first cam to the normal MS3X location. So, you'll only use one of the conditioners on that board.

Hook up the 5v and ground. Hook up the sensor to VR1+ and VR1-

Then go into tuner studio, in the vvt config you'll see the options for input on cam 2. Pick a spare one. Wire OUT1 up to the input you've selected.

What's the barra in? I'm building an EA with an AU vct.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

You are looking at the wrong J1 connector. The one mentioned in the instructions is the one on the main board below (assuming you have the V3.57 board which I can't see in your picture). You don't attach anything directly to the MS3 or MS3X; you only connect to the V3.57 main board.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
supercharger_mark
MS/Extra Newbie

Thank you both for answering.
Drew, I understand your explanation perfectly, however being a novest to electronics I need to ask a couple of questions (probably dum ones)before I go soldering wires to somethink I know little about.
Q1. I've picked PT4 pin31 as input for cam2, Do I simply solder the wire to the solder point on the back of the MS3X board from pin31? see pic.
20171202_114029.jpg
20171202_114029.jpg (52.89 KiB) Viewed 337 times
Q2. for VR1+ & VR1- do I pick spair input wires, eg. Spair ADC pin 21 & EGO2 pin 22 on MS3X plug and solder them as in Q1, or simply drill a hole in the box and wire the VR sensor direct to the Duel VR board? (I would prefer not to do that).

The Barra is still in a BA, I've got a gas barra motor which I've converted to petrol becouse it has higher compression, amongst other things. (I want to keep it NA) and I've put an FG inlet manifold and 323 Crow Cams in. My aim is to beat a mate over 1/4 mile with same model car but turbo, standard. Do you live in Australia?

Jean, Yes I do have the V3.57 board and found the J1 pins and JP1 pins, however the JP1 has a jumper on pin 1&2, and I'm not sure why or what to do there.
Q, Is it possable to run Cam1 & Cam2 through the duel VR board which I would prefer to do,or dose Cam1 need to run through the MS3X board to sink with the crank angle?
Cheers
Mark.
Drew442
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Drew442 »

supercharger_mark wrote:Thank you both for answering.
Drew, I understand your explanation perfectly, however being a novest to electronics I need to ask a couple of questions (probably dum ones)before I go soldering wires to somethink I know little about.
Q1. I've picked PT4 pin31 as input for cam2, Do I simply solder the wire to the solder point on the back of the MS3X board from pin31? see pic.
20171202_114029.jpg
Q2. for VR1+ & VR1- do I pick spair input wires, eg. Spair ADC pin 21 & EGO2 pin 22 on MS3X plug and solder them as in Q1, or simply drill a hole in the box and wire the VR sensor direct to the Duel VR board? (I would prefer not to do that).

The Barra is still in a BA, I've got a gas barra motor which I've converted to petrol becouse it has higher compression, amongst other things. (I want to keep it NA) and I've put an FG inlet manifold and 323 Crow Cams in. My aim is to beat a mate over 1/4 mile with same model car but turbo, standard. Do you live in Australia?

Jean, Yes I do have the V3.57 board and found the J1 pins and JP1 pins, however the JP1 has a jumper on pin 1&2, and I'm not sure why or what to do there.
Q, Is it possable to run Cam1 & Cam2 through the duel VR board which I would prefer to do,or dose Cam1 need to run through the MS3X board to sink with the crank angle?
Cheers
Mark.
A1. I'm not sure where the best spot to pick up PT4 is as I haven't used it before. Looking at manual there doesn't seem to be any reason what that wouldn't work.
A2. Use the 15 pin connector.
A(unnumbered). I'd just use the MS3X cam input
supercharger_mark
MS/Extra Newbie

Thanks Drew
I did pick up those solder points on the spair pins and the VR conditioner works fine.
Cheers
Mark.