Can I use a Thermocouple for coolant temperture?

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

frontrangeFJ40
MS/Extra Newbie

Can I use a Thermocouple for coolant temperture?

Post by frontrangeFJ40 »

I would really like to use the same input for both a instrument cluster gauge as well as the ECM. I have a K type thermocouple for the dash gauge, so can I use the conditioned and linear T/C amplifier output to feed into a spare 0-5 volt input and reassign the gauge to use this for the CTS reading?

TIA
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Can I use a Thermocouple for coolant temperture?

Post by billr »

I don't think it is reasonably possible because the CLT and MAT cal curves have to be the same. Maybe that can be handled with different LUTs in the .ini files, but I don't think so.

I am pretty certain this isn't worth the bother, even if it can be done. GM-type sensors can be bought for under $10, and as small as 1/8" NPT; so easy to locate almost anywhere. Look for a Standard Motor Products TX-73, for example.
frontrangeFJ40
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by frontrangeFJ40 »

Is that really true when Tuner Studio has separate calibration tools for each sensor?

The problem I've been fighting is having two different readings that can be off by 20F or more. Right now I'm using thermistors for both and I never know which to trust until I get out an IR gun and check actual head temperature. I've come to the conclusion that I hate thermistors and their non-linear & less than completely predictable response curves.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

billr wrote:I don't think it is reasonably possible because the CLT and MAT cal curves have to be the same.
Nope. There are two different calibration lookup curves.

The only difficulty is that the lookup curve generator in TunerStudio is designed for thermistors and generates a curve. For a thermocouple you would need to hand generate a linear transform and import that file.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
frontrangeFJ40
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by frontrangeFJ40 »

I looked for the correct table (there's an awful lot of tables in there...) and wasn't able to find the one I'm looking for. Any clue what it might be called, even a partial name I could do a string search on?
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

frontrangeFJ40 wrote:I...The problem I've been fighting is having two different readings that can be off by 20F or more. Right now I'm using thermistors for both and I never know which to trust until I get out an IR gun and check actual head temperature. I've come to the conclusion that I hate thermistors and their non-linear & less than completely predictable response curves.
You want something accurate? Use an RTD. The tradeoffs are a lower response time & greater expense.
RTDs rely on certain metals' (usually platinum, nickel, or copper) thermo-resistive behavior to detect changes in temperature. RTDs respond to temperature changes very linearly and can achieve good accuracy.

A thermistor is a temperature-sensitive resistor, whilst a thermocouple generates a voltage proportional to the temperature.
Resistance Temperature Detectors (RTDs) are sensors that measure temperature by correlating the resistance of the RTD element with temperature. Most RTD elements consist of a length of fine coiled wire wrapped around a ceramic or glass core.

https://cecas.clemson.edu/cvel/auto/sen ... ature.html
1988 Mustang GT, 59k miles, Orig Owner
ProCharger 600B I/C, 12psi, FRP Hdrs, Flwmstr F2, 3G Alt, Contour Fan & DCC, 3.55's, Prog Sprg, Subfms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5's, Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40R17, Crane HI-6, Kirban FPR, MS2, DIYPNPF60, Spartan 2, C&L76mm blo-thru MAF, 47lb FRP-LU47
frontrangeFJ40
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by frontrangeFJ40 »

Thanks, but I started my professional life as an EE and I'm pretty familiar with the technology.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

frontrangeFJ40 wrote:I looked for the correct table (there's an awful lot of tables in there...) and wasn't able to find the one I'm looking for. Any clue what it might be called, even a partial name I could do a string search on?
You would need to go to Tools -> Calibrate Thermistor Tables. There's a button there for uploading custom INC files.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
frontrangeFJ40
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by frontrangeFJ40 »

FANTASTIC!!

Any idea where I can find an example of how that file should be formatted??
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

If you look in the "inc" subfolder of the folder you have TS installed in, there's a file called "thermfactor.inc" that I think is in the right format. But I'm not sure what the numbers in it mean... I think there are 256 entries representing A-D values, but the actual numbers in the file I'm looking at are kind of weird.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I'm not actually sure of the format that TunerStudio expects, best to ask in that sub-forum.

Inside the firmware, the table has 1024 entries for MS2/3, these correspond to ADC count. ADCcount = Volts/5.0 * 1023. The temperature is in degrees Fahrenheit, * 10.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
frontrangeFJ40
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by frontrangeFJ40 »

Thanks guys!