No RPM signal after install possible wrong firmware.

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Nnobile
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: No RPM signal after install possible wrong firmware.

Post by Nnobile »

grom_e30 wrote:
Nnobile wrote:Will redownload firmware again this afternoon. There are 2 microsquirt firmwares to select one is microsquirt module and microsquirt cased? The firmware on the unit before i updated it to connect to tuner studios for the first time was ms2 extra release 3.3.1 and it said i had no uni file for it so that was when i udpated tuner studios and firmware on my unit
you want 'microsquirt module'

oh fyi if you had an internet connection when you connected the laptop to the ecu tuner studio should have asked if you want it to download the correct ini file from the efi analytics server.

oh and im pretty sure the green board is this: https://www.diyautotune.com/product/diy ... ction-kit/
Ahh so yeah that definetely messed things up. My labtop isnt connecting to the internet at my house where the car is for some reason so i downloaded newest firmware once i had internet along with updating tuner studios and then went back home to car and uploaded firmware. I will redownload microsquirt module this afteenoon and let you guys know what it says
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

im not sure the base maps will not work properly as i'm sure the ecu has 3 ignition drivers ( stock car has a single coil and dizy) and im pretty certain the other changes are the map daddy 4bar sensor and the sequential fuel board (stock ecu uses 2 banks of 3 injectors) so if the loom is wired to run 3 banks of 2 injectors and wasted spark coils the base map will be well off
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Nnobile
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Nnobile »

I wont be using any of those base maps, previous owner is going to email me copy of the tune he was running again being the firmware update i did seemed to delete parts out of the tune. My main concern is making sure i have the correct firmware downloaded on here and then figuring out why i have no crank signal, the composite and tooth logger pick up signal while cranking but nothing shows on the rpm gauge therefore its not registering that im even trying to start the car
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

I can't find your kit, because DIY can't find it either.
DIYPNPB55-K
If this is your connector, then this is you model #
This is the main DIYPNP Kit including the Bosch Motronic style 55-pin connector and all components, case, etc
https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... -template/

If it is, bookmark this page, your are going to need it.
You should print it out for easier reference.

The tune & the firmware are stored in different locations of the hardware (white board cpu chip). One doesn't overwrite the other.
Latest firmware is v3.4.2.
http://www.msextra.com/downloads/
1988 Mustang GT, 59k miles, Orig Owner
ProCharger 600B I/C, 12psi, FRP Hdrs, Flwmstr F2, 3G Alt, Contour Fan & DCC, 3.55's, Prog Sprg, Subfms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5's, Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40R17, Crane HI-6, Kirban FPR, MS2, DIYPNPF60, Spartan 2, C&L76mm blo-thru MAF, 47lb FRP-LU47
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

if you upload a copy of the previously working tune here (when you get it) i can have a run through it and convert it to a msq that will work properly with the newer firmware from the downloads page.

you will need to set the calibrations in the ecu as well: http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/Meg ... .4-26.html
so have a read there.

has the car got a variable tps fitted?

you will need to know what the mat (air temp sensor) is from to get the correct calibration data so have a word with the chap who built it.

do you have a o2 sensor? if so is it wide band and what brand (again for calibration)

and for the map sensor you need to calibrate it as MPXH6400
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Nnobile
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Nnobile »

Good read i definetely have some learning to do on all this. I have some calibrating to do for sure. Only thing i have calibrated was tps coolant temp nd few other things looked good but will need to do map, 02 nd others. Not sure if tps is fixed nd will find out about mat sensor. I an running wideband o2 sensor will double chekc the brand. Do you think if some of these calibrations are wrong along with firmware issue it could be messing with tach signal not being processed?
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Use Wasted spark, it appears you have 3 double ended coils?

Not sure how the uS module handles external injector drivers. Check the impedance on the injectors, you may need to use PWM current control or resistors if they are low impedance.

Is an intercooler on your wish list?
Last edited by rickb794 on Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

i'm pretty sure some of the pin assignments for the cpu are different on different firmware variants i'm not sure to the extent though. first step would be to load the correct firmware, then sort the calibration data so all the sensors read correctly. get a tune setup correctly and use the output test mode to make sure all the outputs: injectors, coils and fuel pump work.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

rickb794 wrote:Check the impedance on the injectors, you may need to use PWM current control or resistors if they are low impedance.
The Microsquirt module (and the cased one) does not allow PWM of the injector outputs. You need external drivers or current limiting resistors for low Z injectors.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Nnobile
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Nnobile »

I an using wasted spark, injectors are high impedence and my intake is a custom water cooled manifold. I am going to redownload firmware later this afternoon and will try to calibrate the ecu. The builder of the unit is away for the holidays doesnt look like il be able to get a copy of his tune until tuesday morning =( good plan of attack though i will keep you all updated thanks so much for the help
Nnobile
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Nnobile »

so I redownloaded microquirt module firmware seems to have successfully downloaded no warning messages so I assume that is correct firmware. Calibrated tps, the map to mpxh6400, then calibrated o2 it is an innovate lc1. still not sure what MAT sensor I ahve but I didn't even see a setting to calibrate that? I know my tune is still missing a few things will have to wait til I get copy of the old tune. I then successful did the fuel pump test (fuel pump turns on), then did injector test both banks of inectors turned on heard buzz and then tested the ignition coil at output A (cylinder #1) I have spark also. So my fuel and ignition seems to be wired correctly. Cranked car over again I still have no rpm movement on my gauges and still says rpm not sychend. composite logger shows a signal when i crank car takes a few seconds to start showing signal but it is there, attatched a picture of it. any other thoughts on what could be causing no signal still? is there a pot to adjust in the megasquirt unit itself maybe? my tach output setting is turned off i get a configuration error when i turn it on not sure if that is suppose to be on or off? attatched a copy of the tune after calibrations, picture of signal in composite logger and picture of tach output settings. i made a log but it is too long to post on here if anyone wants it emailed to them i can do that also. thanks again already feel like im getting a bit closer and learning quite a bit today.
Attachments
2017-12-23_17.36.58.msq- redownloaded firmwarecalibrated, tested injectors and coils, still no rpm.msq
(117.8 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
IMG_5393.jpg
IMG_5393.jpg (85.23 KiB) Viewed 540 times
IMG_5403.jpg
IMG_5403.jpg (91.46 KiB) Viewed 540 times
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

you comp log looks odd with the extra bar in the gap that should not be there. a quick test would be to change the capture edge to falling see if that helps. if not take a tooth log and post that.

the tacho output is for connecting to the car dashboard rev gauge. you will prob want to enable that at some stage but it is set at the moment to use your spark A output (ign1). this cant be your spark A and your rev gauge output at the same time hence the conflict warning. you will need to figure what output inside the ecu its wired to possibly 'TACHOUT' just a guess though.

edit: map looks low as well it should be about 100kpa with the ignition on engine not running at sea level that is, will go lower as you go up in elevation so unless your at the top of some big mountains 60kpa is prob wrong
Nnobile
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Nnobile »

Changes settings to falling edge i now have rpm being picked up!! Car almost started seems to be stumbling a bit upon cranking. Dont want to start it fully without correct tune loaded. Will attatch picture of the tooth logger and data log. My map kpa is now at 99.6 not sure why it was reading 60 before in previous picture
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

nice one getting closer. do you know if you are wired for 2 banks of 3 injectors or 3 banks of 2 injectors? as this will effect the fueling some what (possibly 2 cylinders not getting fuel)

also do you know the injector size? cc/min?
Nnobile
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Nnobile »

yes thanks so much for the input man greatly appreciated. Here are the pictures of the tooth logger with it now picking up rpm during crank up and stumbling. car stays running for a few seconds when i have pedal almost all the way to floor so tune is definitely not right running rich it seems like. i believe the settings on my tune are for 2 banks not sure how they are wired what is best way to check that and will the injectors have a cc written on them somewhere? if not will ask the old owner again. my afr, ve and ignition load tables should all be reading more then 100kpa scale also being i am boosting correct?
Attachments
IMG_5414.jpg
IMG_5414.jpg (71.15 KiB) Viewed 519 times
IMG_5415.jpg
IMG_5415.jpg (66.8 KiB) Viewed 519 times
IMG_5416.JPG
IMG_5416.JPG (108.75 KiB) Viewed 519 times
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

tooth log looks like id expect it so thats ok.

it may be best to confirm with the injectors as the green sequential board is not normally fitted to the diypnp so it would be odd to fit something and not use it.

you could use a meter and continuity test to confirm what injectors are connected together, or get some one to help you and run the injector test using a stethoscope listen to how many injectors fire when you test bank A.

there may be a part number on the injectors so with google you may be able to find the flow.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

You definitely have 3 injector drivers wired inside the box. However, I have no idea how your injectors are actually connected to the ECU so that needs to be checked. And you also need to make sure you do make use of all those drivers because if the 3rd driver is not enabled and you actually have 2 injectors connected to it, you will not fuel those 2 cylinders.

So check your injector wiring. If you do have 3 banks of 2 injectors, you need to enable the additional injector drivers. And you may want to also enable semi-sequential injection; that will not have an impact on whether or not the injectors are working but it would likely improve transitions.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Nnobile
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Nnobile »

Will look at the box more later tonight along with my injectors nd get some more info for you guys over the next day or so. will also upload the old tune tuesday once i get it. Thanks for the help again and merry christmas!!
Nnobile
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Nnobile »

2017-02-16_17.48.24 chris james safe tune1.msq
(117.03 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
2017-02-18_09.56.34 chris james safe tune 2.msq
(117.02 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
hey guys the previous owner emailed me the last 2 tunes he saved before pulling the engine and selling to me. He said he couldn't open them to look at them due to him running new firmware. I wont be able to try and load any onto the car til later on tonight and that's if they will convert to the new firmware im now running. any ideas on the best way to go about this??
Nnobile
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Nnobile »

Was able to open it up in a temporary project and download required serial signature the old one. all the settings and tune appear to be there now. just hoping I can open it up like that once im home being my wifi is currently not working at home where the car is