Ignitor for High revving engines

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

FOXX
MS/Extra Newbie

Ignitor for High revving engines

Post by FOXX »

Hi guys, I bought the 0 227 100 211 Bosch module to control my V-twin motorbike engine.
My plan is to run sequential with MAP sensor, but I may have to run wasted COP sometimes.
That engine revs up to 10k Rpm and more (depends of the exhaust and intake geometries and the track I am running in) and I am wondering if that module can work well up to that rotation speed (datasheet talks about 8000 rpm max rotation).
Anyone is using that module on sportsbike or hi revving engines in general? Did you have any problem?
I will mount it with a cooling plate and I will use only two channels instead of 4.

Here is the datasheet.
http://www.bosch-motorsport.de/media/ca ... 099pdf.pdf

Thank you for reply! 8)
Dennis_Zx7r
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Ignitor for High revving engines

Post by Dennis_Zx7r »

I actually run one of these for over a year now, and for nearly a year used wasted spark. My engine revs up to 13000Rpm, so in wasted spark this equals 26000rpm in sequential (Oops). Well, for what it's worth, it's working great so far and I didn't know the spec sheet had a rev limit that low. My coils and dwell settings give a maximum current of 6A. Bolted it to a big aluminium plate with thermal paste though, so cooling should be a little better than with the standard heat sink.
Last edited by Dennis_Zx7r on Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
My project: Link
FOXX
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by FOXX »

Dennis_Zx7r wrote:I actually run one of these for over a year now, and for nearly a year used wasted spark. My engine revs up to 13000Rpm, so in wasted spark this equals 26000rpm in sequential (Oops). Well, for what it's worth, it's working great so far and I didn't know the spec sheet had a rev limit that low. Bolted it to a big aluminium plate with thermal paste though, so cooling should be a little better than with the standard heat sink.
GREAT thank you!
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

yeah i have used the bosch 211 up to 14,500rpm in wasted spark on my bike and seemed fine
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
race2win
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by race2win »

Can anybody post a msq?
I'm trying to get this same ignitor working on my kawasaki zx10 and having issues above 7k rpm... not sure if it's a dwell issue or what. Thanks
Dennis_Zx7r
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis_Zx7r »

ign_settings.png
ign_settings.png (16.22 KiB) Viewed 819 times
dwell_corr.png
dwell_corr.png (25.48 KiB) Viewed 819 times
This is what I use for ZX-6R coils with the bosch module and MS3X outputs. Spark duration wasn't tested.
My project: Link
race2win
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by race2win »

waste spark the bike revved fine to reline but under boost I have a flame out the exhaust like its on nitrous... so I switched over to sequential spark and with 2.0 dwell the bike breaks up at 7k rpm on 8psi boost... kept creeping the dwell up far more then Id like to see 8ms dwell bike breaks up at 11500 on 14psi.. not sure what to do or try.... these coils with factory ignition worked 24psi 125000rpm no issues
ArttuH
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ArttuH »

The Bosch 211 module has current limit around 8.5A. Depending on the coil this can be too low to reach full coil charge and spark energy.

How is the AFR under boost when you see possible spark blow-out? Sometimes AFR has really big effect on how well the ignition can keep up under boost and too rich mixture can cause misfires even without going extremely rich. Once I was really struggling with misfires on one engine. The ignition system was more than adequate but always got misfires at moderate boost unless I leaned it out above 12.5-13 AFR. Finally found out that the wideband was showing about 1.5 AFR too lean all the time. After fixing that it was running happily at desired 11.5-12 AFR.
Arttu