JB Perf I/O Extender box - How to test this/set it up

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

64nailhead
Helpful MS/Extra'er

JB Perf I/O Extender box - How to test this/set it up

Post by 64nailhead »

I'm quite new here - 1st post.

I aquired this box used with the boards in the pics (along with an MS3X). It was being used originally for dual O2 sensors and 8 EGTS. I intend to only use it for either 2 or 3 EGT's. How can I test the sensors and how do I know which ports go with which CAN line in Tunerstudio?

I'd guess that I can hook them up to any of the paired port and figure it out once the system is installed and powered up, but I would prefer not to do it in that manner.

I have an MSQ file, but no datalog as I have not installed the entire setup yet.

Thanks greatly in advance - Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 64nailhead on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: How to test this board

Post by racingmini_mtl »

You will need to power the unit up and either connect the CAN bus to the MS3 or use the USB port to communicate with the unit. Do you have DB37 wiring loom? If not, do you have the pinout for the DB37?

When you say you only want to use it for a few EGT inputs, do you mean that you don't want to use the dual O2 controllers? Do you want to use any of the other inputs and outputs?

As I said, you will need to power the unit and set it up for communication. Then you will need to check which firmware you have on there and set a TunerStudio project to configure it and read data from it.

Who did you get this from? This will help me find out what the original setup was.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
64nailhead
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 64nailhead »

I (my son) bought it from a guy in Oregon that I met on another forum. He was using it with a SBC with TPI using LS coils, dual O2's and 8 EGT's. He sold the entire setup with harnesses, 4 EGT's, coil packs, all sensors and cam trigger. The gentleman's name was Jeff Beard - he seemd to be a great guy. We've had the entire setup for about a year and half. Without getting into too much detail, we've been running a an MS2 on both a TPI SBC and now Motown LS in the same chassis - both with turbo's. The car has been driven over 5000 miles this past summer, gets 14-15mpg and makes 700+ WHP. And it, with the MS, has been dead ass, spot on reliable.

To answers your questions :
Yes, only one O2 sensor due to using one post turbo.

3 EGT's - one on each manifold and one behind the turbo.

At some point I would like to use more of the board, but at the moment I'm only using because we both have it and I'd like the EGT's. Will this run a 4L80E or 4L85E? Right now, the MS3X should handle the 4 inputs and 7 outputs I'm looking for, but there is a bunch more that I'd like to use, but the 1st goal is to get this installed, street tuned, and dyno tuned. It's a winter project here in Upstate NY as the car is put away for the season.

FWIW, I checked out your website and seen that your forum said you were having some health/personal issues a year or two back. I was looking to speak to you as you were where the setup was bought from.

Thanks - JIm
64nailhead
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 64nailhead »

Should have mentioned as well that I have a bunch more questions, but this board was the first. Hopefully this forum is the place for them :)
64nailhead
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 64nailhead »

Bump
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Have you tried to power the unit up and to communicate with it over the USB port? That's the first thing to do. If you have your MS3 available, you can also connect the 2 to the CAN bus and power both units to see if they communicate. One easy way to check all this once the units are connected an powered up is by using the port scanner: http://forum.jbperf.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1282

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
64nailhead
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 64nailhead »

Thanks. I will play around with the scanner to confirm more. I have powered it, the I/O box, up and it seems that it is working, for the EGT's anyway, as the previous owner had described. I've been reading and researching everywhere about this I/O Box and I think I'm making some minor progress - lol.

You asked previously if I had the pinout and DB37 wiring loom. I have a DB37 that has to have wires added as needed, but presently it has power and ground, pins 1 & 2, and the can bus wires, pins 19 & 37, installed in the DB37. I located on your site the DB37 pinout and board configuration for 'I/O Extender Board v1.0 for M2/Extra and MS3'. This is labelled for the 1.0 board, but mine is 1.2 - are they same (I'm thinking the answer is yes)?

Next, I'm attempting to hookup two VR wheel speed sensors and a driveshaft speed sensor to use traction control via %slip. The driveshaft speed should be very simple as my speedometer has a 5 volt square wave output that I can hookup to the MS3X plug (pin 21 - Spare ADC). The issue has come to the 2 wire VR ABS sensor. From what I've found, via another thread on another forum, is that I need 'VR Conditioning circuits' and the MS3X is not suited for this without board modifications. But it appears that your I/O Extender Board has 4 VR circuits built in that only require jumpers to be installed - is this correct?

If yes, then if I wanted to run 4 sensors do I need to install the 12 jumpers indicated in the VR Conditioning portion of the board and all 8 ports (VR +/- poirts 1-4) will then be active in the CPU?

IF yes again, then I'll have to figure out how to setup TunerStudio to see these, but ... that's for another moment - the port scanner seems like it ought to work for that.

Thanks greatly - Jim
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

You need to use the pinout for the v1.1/v1.2 boards not the one for v1.0 since there are a few differences. This is the correct one for v1.2:

Yes you can use the on-board VR conditioners and there are indeed 4 of them (pins 6-12 in the above pinout). And on the v1.2 board, you don't need to add jumpers as they have been replaced by solder jumpers that are set by default. Simply connect the VR sensors to the DB37 and activate the inputs in TunerStudio.

The port scanner will just let you see if you have connectivity. You will still need to use TunerStudio by either setting a project for the IOx only or by adding a CAN device to your MS3 project. You will then have the menus and settings for the IOx. You will need to point TunerStudio to the correct ini file for the IOx firmware you currently have. The port scanner will let you know which firmware version you have (put your mouse cursor over the IOx description in the port scanner window and you will get a popup showing the firmware version; the ini files are available on my web site).

If you have an older firmware version (which is likely the case for your unit), you may want to update to the latest version. The port scanner will allow you to do so but you will need to download the firmware files (latest version here).

Jean
64nailhead
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 64nailhead »

Holy shcow - that's great! Are the rest of the circuits ready to go without jumpers as well?

What does the 'Timer' column mean/reference? It's quite obvious what 'Circuit', 'Default CPU port', and DB37 pins reference? ANd why do some of the functions have Timer info and others don't?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

For speed/frequency inputs, you need to use a timer input. For PWM outputs, you need to use a timer output. The other inputs and outputs (on/off or analog) you don't need a timer I/O. There are 3 timers on the CPU so you need to configure each of them for the speed of your I/Os and the I/Os that share the same timer also share the same timer characteristics (same speed/frequency range or same PWM frequency).

The 4 VR conditioning circuits use timer 3 and are the only available timer inputs. Timer 1 has 6 channels and timer 2 has 2 channels; these can be set for PWM. But not all of them are connected by default to one output circuit so you would need to either add customs circuits or connect the timer pins (see JP1-5 pinout at the bottom of the web page) to one of the on-board circuit.

The latter is why you need jumpers to use the low current and high current output circuits. The ADC inputs do not need jumpers on the v1.2 board.

Jean
64nailhead
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 64nailhead »

racingmini_mtl wrote:For speed/frequency inputs, you need to use a timer input. For PWM outputs, you need to use a timer output. The other inputs and outputs (on/off or analog) you don't need a timer I/O. There are 3 timers on the CPU so you need to configure each of them for the speed of your I/Os and the I/Os that share the same timer also share the same timer characteristics (same speed/frequency range or same PWM frequency).

The 4 VR conditioning circuits use timer 3 and are the only available timer inputs. Timer 1 has 6 channels and timer 2 has 2 channels; these can be set for PWM. But not all of them are connected by default to one output circuit so you would need to either add customs circuits or connect the timer pins (see JP1-5 pinout at the bottom of the web page) to one of the on-board circuit.

The latter is why you need jumpers to use the low current and high current output circuits. The ADC inputs do not need jumpers on the v1.2 board.

Jean
After reading this a couple of times and thinking about - I understand. Basically, a repeating signal is measured over a certain amount of time and the timer is the time measuring device. P.s. - sometimes I'm a little slow :).

Do you still offer this box and is there any specific info (manuals) pertaining to all of it's functionality? I ask as I would never have figured this out without your input.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

64nailhead wrote:Do you still offer this box and is there any specific info (manuals) pertaining to all of it's functionality? I ask as I would never have figured this out without your input.
There is no manual, unfortunately. The information is scattered around on the forum and there is a bit of information on the web site (some of which is outdated). And I am currently designing a new version of the board.

Jean
64nailhead
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 64nailhead »

racingmini_mtl wrote:
64nailhead wrote:Do you still offer this box and is there any specific info (manuals) pertaining to all of it's functionality? I ask as I would never have figured this out without your input.
There is no manual, unfortunately. The information is scattered around on the forum and there is a bit of information on the web site (some of which is outdated). And I am currently designing a new version of the board.

Jean

Well, thanks for your help. If all goes according to plan I should everything installed, running and at the dyno by March barring any life type interruptions. I'll let you know here if I have any more questions.

p.s. - I wish the moderator(s) could rename this thread to more accurately describe and reference your unit that I'm working on for others to able to locate information about it.

Jim
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

64nailhead wrote:p.s. - I wish the moderator(s) could rename this thread to more accurately describe and reference your unit that I'm working on for others to able to locate information about it.
Actually, I think you can do it yourself. If you go and edit your initial post, you can also edit the subject at the top which might give the result you want.

Jean
64nailhead
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: JB Perf I/O Extender box - How to test this

Post by 64nailhead »

I'm reviving this older thread and hopefully get a response or two.

In the pic I underlined the two fields that are in question. How do I know what CAN table to use and the same goes fr the data size?
CAN VSS screenshot.png
Also, from reading this : http://www.jbperf.com/io_extender/index.html under the Software Configuration heading it appears that I need to get into the IOx, but how do I do that or am I confused?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I added the most current tune file, but the screenshot is what I was playing with.

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: JB Perf I/O Extender box - How to test this/set it up

Post by racingmini_mtl »

That's not how you get a VSS input from the IOx. You need to use the PWM inputs that are set in the CAN Parameters (Enable PWM polling and keep the default values). You also need to enable the PWM inputs on the IOx. This assumes you have connected (or will connect) your speed sensor to the VR inputs on the IOx.

Before I go further, I have to check with you if you have installed the port scanner and updated your IOx firmware as I mentioned in a previous post. Once you have done that, you can configure things out. You will also need to add the IOx to your TunerStudio project; for that you need to open your project properties and go to the CAN tab. You will need the ini file included in the zip file I linked in a post above (you also need this for the firmware update).

Jean
64nailhead
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 64nailhead »

racingmini_mtl wrote:That's not how you get a VSS input from the IOx. You need to use the PWM inputs that are set in the CAN Parameters (Enable PWM polling and keep the default values).
CAN VSS screensht 2.png
You also need to enable the PWM inputs on the IOx. This assumes you have connected (or will connect) your speed sensor to the VR inputs on the IOx.I have connected the speed sensors to VR1 and VR2

Before I go further, I have to check with you if you have installed the port scanner and updated your IOx firmware as I mentioned in a previous post. I did use the port scanner
screenshot port scanner.png
Once you have done that, you can configure things out.

You will also need to add the IOx to your TunerStudio project; for that you need to open your project properties and go to the CAN tab. You will need the ini file included in the zip file I linked in a post above (you also need this for the firmware update).
^^^ is where I'm lost. I opened the ini file and it's text(?) and does the firmware need to be updated or not?

Jean
Appreciate the help and response, is the 1.2.0 the most updated software?

Jim
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Yes, you have the latest IOx firmware.

As I said, you need to add the IOx to your MS3 project in TunerStudio. First open TunerStudio and open your MS3 project. Then go in the 'File' menu and under 'Vehicle Projects' select 'Project Properties'. At the top of the project properties window, you have a tab called 'CAN Devices'; select that tab by clicking on it.

You will then need to click on the "+" button as indicated below
add_can_device.png
Then you need to set a name for this CAN device, tell it what the CAN ID is (the default IOx CAN ID is 5), and then click on the '...' button to tell TunerStudio where the ini file is located. The picture below shows these 3 steps.
can_device_settings.png
Then click 'Ok'. Once this is done, it will add a drop-down menu that will allow you to see either the MS3 menus or the IOx menus. Once you select the IOx menus, you will be able to configure what you need on the IOx.

Jean
64nailhead
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 64nailhead »

Thanks. I cannot locate the IOx.ini file in any of the links. Is it located in the configuration files of TunerStudio? If yes, then I'll look when I get home.

You mentioned it was in a link in a previous post, but I must be blind, because I can't see it.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

That's the link to the latest firmware: http://www.jbperf.com/io_extender/firmw ... _0_1_2.zip. It was in my post from Dec. 31. This file contains the firmware (s19 file), the ini file and the defautl configuration file (msq file).

Unzip that somewhere on your PC and point to the ini file in TunerStudio in the place I mentioned before.

Jean