MS Extra 3.44 HW Manual error.

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

BlackBird_SR71
Experienced MS/Extra'er

MS Extra 3.44 HW Manual error.

Post by BlackBird_SR71 »

FYI: MS-Extra Developement Team. James Cortina.

Guys I've just noticed what seems to be a Typo in the MS2 version 3.44 Hardware Manual ( and earlier release's ) . In section 6.10. through 6.37, the Spark Output setting for most Logic Coils on MS2 3.57 Mainboards is shown as Going High. This is incorrect. In Tuner Studio it is shown as Going Low. And it's been confirmed ( With DIYAutoTune ) that all 3.57 Main Boards have the LED Method of build and the Built in Three LOgic Coil Drivers should normally be set to " Going Low " . As per Tuner Studio pop-up Help Icon. But some people miss that Icon Help button.

This has causes a couple of customers to blow Logic Coils when using MS2 Saprk Output settings.

I just discoverd this while working with a Vendor who may have supplied Tunes based on the MS-Extra suggested Logic Coil settings.

I do a lot of Remote Tuning on a specific Platform that uses Logic Coils. I always set my Custom Tunes for Logic Coils on MS2 to going Low as per Tuner Studio. And I alwyas have the customer do a quick Palm Tets for heat with only One Logic Coils connected. But I've had two customers come to me recently with Tunes supplied from someone else. Those Tunes had Logic Coils set to Going High... and there were some Damaged Coils . Sample MSQ from customer attached. Ignition setting for Spark Output was based on was based on MS Extra 3.44 HWM settings for Nissan Logic Coils . Note Ignition setting Spark Output = Going High. Which is incorrect. ( Not my Tune )

CurrentTune Mar,07,2024.msq
(118.99 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: MS Extra 3.44 HW Manual error.

Post by jsmcortina »

The recommended method in the manual is to use the "FET method" which uses "Going High".

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
BlackBird_SR71
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: MS Extra 3.44 HW Manual error.

Post by BlackBird_SR71 »

Yeah I know that. But other people don't ...

The 3.57 MS2 boards already come wired with Three LED Mode Logic Coils which require Going Low As they are BUILT with Resistor Method according to DIY Auto Tune!!!! And customers are referencing the 3.44 HWM and setting them to going High. There is no mention in that particular section about FET vs Resistor method. There is earlier in the HW Manual if you go through the BUILD section for adding additional Logic Drivers. Which apparently is difficult on the 3.57 board as there is no Proto Area. This is MS words. Not Mine. I don't build these things. I just Tune them. And have to Fix all the mistakes made due to issues like this.

And the customer checked with DIYAutoTune this morning and they told him that ALL MS 3.57 Boards should be set to Going Low... as that is how the boards are manufactured. So you guys have a rather important descrepancy between what TS instructions say and what Hardware Manual says. That should be corrected as a service to your Customers.

I've had two Customers blow up Coils, because of this incorrect information in the MS2 3.57 HW Manual ( Not my Tunes ). I caught it when they came to me. But the Damage was already done from incorrect information. Or perhaps unclear information is more correct. What ever... its' poorly written in the 6.10 to 6.37 sections of the Manual and should be made Crystal Clear.

I'm going to Link this to the people affected.