Preferred COP and Coil Units?

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Spenser309
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Spenser309 »

im guessing that the LS2 coils wouldnt need an ignition driver then?

no vb921's
Im working with a 2000 LS1 Camaro.
PFM
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by PFM »

OK I have been looking but must be a bit slow, I am looking at 4 GSXR COP units, DENSO 129700-4400, sweet if they are what I think. There are only two pins on the unit plus the HV end for the spark plug. If it had three pins I think it would make sense but how do you wire this thing to a MSnS unit? I thought it would have 12v, ground and trigger.

This whole COP thing is just too cool. I need to fire 12 spark plugs, for a twin plug flat six and I dont think all the loose ends have been closed for this deal but I am patient.

Any ideas Im all ears, well eyes.

Thanks in advance

PFM
16V-Sauger
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 16V-Sauger »

Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Jon k »

gielamonster wrote:
Does anyone know of any COP units for non-DOHC motors? I'd like to find some that are only 2-3" long instead of 5". Assuming there aren't any to be found, any ideas on how to make the fit of these a little more permanent? I was thinking an extra sleeve of insulating material around the whole thing, that made for a snugger fit with the head.

On my BMW coils, you can pull the rubber extending boot off and the coil is about 2" in length, myabe if you cut the boot down? I think theres a resistor in there though, not entirely sure.
arny528
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by arny528 »

Jon k wrote: On my BMW coils, you can pull the rubber extending boot off and the coil is about 2" in length, myabe if you cut the boot down? I think theres a resistor in there though, not entirely sure.
They do have a resistance, and it is different for different models. I believe I've seen 1.8k resistance for Bosch and 1k for Bremi coils (or vice versa) for the same M50B25 engine. I'm not sure how much is that resistance important, but I had an idea to put normal plug wires on them, so they could be mounted at a more convenient location on another engine.
Arny
EFI maniac, BMW fanatic
- '84 BMW 528i I oughta squirt...
Scummer
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Scummer »

I'm running the coilpacks from a Mitsubishi 3000GT on Mazda KL03 engine for wasted spark setup. My dwell time is set to 4.5ms
So far the car runs great.

Thomas
'96 Probe GT - MS2extra 2.0.1, MS V3.0, VB921's, coilpacks, 6-1 wheel, 580ccm injectors
'69 Mercury Cougar Convertible 351W - MS V2.2 carb to FI in progress
Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Jon k »

Scummer wrote:I'm running the coilpacks from a Mitsubishi 3000GT on Mazda KL03 engine for wasted spark setup. My dwell time is set to 4.5ms
So far the car runs great.

Thomas
For people running 4 coils or more, can you post pics of your MS board to see how 2+ VB921s are mounted?
PSIG
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by PSIG »

PFM wrote:...There are only two pins on the unit plus the HV end for the spark plug. If it had three pins I think it would make sense but how do you wire this thing to a MSnS unit? I thought it would have 12v, ground and trigger. ...
Just 2 terminals is perfect, as the standard MS coil wiring is +12v to one terminal and the other terminal goes to the VB921 controlling it. Done. Image
gielamonster
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gielamonster »

Bruce Bowling wrote:
efahl wrote:I'm rather utilitarian, I think this is rather cool myself (Corvette LS-2 CNP):

http://hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/1 ... 2_18_z.jpg

Solves a lot of packaging problems, delivers good energy and widely available. Don't know about cost and driver requirements, but I'd guess that there are junkyard sources for LS-1 coils+wires just about anywhere here in the US.

Eric
I believe these are the GM part number 12558948, the connector is GM 12102741, HT wire is either GM 15301401 or 12569111

Look this up on www.gmpartsdirect.com

I have played with these on the bench and they work off of a +5V pulse, set for dwell time. Looking into the connector on the coil, from left to right, the pins are denoted A,B,C,D, with a keyway between A and B on the connector rim. The pinout is A=GND, B=Ref Low (i.e. return gnd to ECU), C=Ign trigger, D=+12V
Bruce, I got my LS1 coils yesterday. Do I just wire them up with the the trigger wire I had controlling my VB921s going directly to pin C?

Also, any guesses at a starting dwell setting for these coils? And are they auto-dwell capable? So as long I have a large enough dwell specified, they'll shut off before that, when they're properly charged, correct?
Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Jon k »

gielamonster wrote:
Bruce Bowling wrote:
efahl wrote:I'm rather utilitarian, I think this is rather cool myself (Corvette LS-2 CNP):

http://hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/1 ... 2_18_z.jpg

Solves a lot of packaging problems, delivers good energy and widely available. Don't know about cost and driver requirements, but I'd guess that there are junkyard sources for LS-1 coils+wires just about anywhere here in the US.

Eric
I believe these are the GM part number 12558948, the connector is GM 12102741, HT wire is either GM 15301401 or 12569111

Look this up on www.gmpartsdirect.com

I have played with these on the bench and they work off of a +5V pulse, set for dwell time. Looking into the connector on the coil, from left to right, the pins are denoted A,B,C,D, with a keyway between A and B on the connector rim. The pinout is A=GND, B=Ref Low (i.e. return gnd to ECU), C=Ign trigger, D=+12V
Bruce, I got my LS1 coils yesterday. Do I just wire them up with the the trigger wire I had controlling my VB921s going directly to pin C?

Also, any guesses at a starting dwell setting for these coils? And are they auto-dwell capable? So as long I have a large enough dwell specified, they'll shut off before that, when they're properly charged, correct?

Also - any idea on BMW coil pack dwell times?
gielamonster
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gielamonster »

I googled "LS1 dwell" and found a lot of AEM guys use them. Only one post actually mentioned a value for dwell, and it said 5ms burns them out. So sounds like they're not auto-dwell? not a biggie, I have a lab-grade .01 ohm resistor to scope with.
Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Jon k »

gielamonster wrote:I googled "LS1 dwell" and found a lot of AEM guys use them. Only one post actually mentioned a value for dwell, and it said 5ms burns them out. So sounds like they're not auto-dwell? not a biggie, I have a lab-grade .01 ohm resistor to scope with.
Any info on BMW coils? If I sent someone a coil could they scope it?
Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Jon k »

Jon k wrote:
gielamonster wrote:I googled "LS1 dwell" and found a lot of AEM guys use them. Only one post actually mentioned a value for dwell, and it said 5ms burns them out. So sounds like they're not auto-dwell? not a biggie, I have a lab-grade .01 ohm resistor to scope with.
Any info on BMW coils? If I sent someone a coil could they scope it?
FWIW I am running BMW COP coils from a 1992 BMW M50 (bosch, but also bremi coils available for same engine/ecu) at 3.0 ms run and 4.0ms crank
1992 BMW 525i M50 Non Vanos 24v Turbocharged
Stock COP Wasted Spark
MS2/E v3
tristanlee85
Site Admin

Post by tristanlee85 »

I was wondering, does anyone have a list of different applications the COPs are found on (year, make, model, etc)? I'd like to hit up the junkyard and look for some that fit well, but I haven't seen a list anywhere.
1997 Turbo Saturn

MS3 v0.22
TunerStudio v[insert_current_version_here]
mac1
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Preferred COP and Coil Units?

Post by mac1 »

Here are my measurements for a
Honda CBR 1000rr coils
129700-4840
Total length with boot 5.6"
without boot 4.72"
boot is 1.6" long and is covers up .65" of the coil end
Total usable length (129700-4840) 4.8" from top of seal to the end of the boot

So I now assume the 2 digits in the part number is the Usable length sticking down the bore.
YOu take that number and subtract the length of boot that slips over the plug and in this case would be (1.6 - .65) .95" reach to the plug when slipped over the threads.
YOu need plugs with removable Terminal !!
95 Probe v6-t MS1
00 Accent 2.0L-T,Ms1
14 Factory Five 818 MS2 4 ebc/meth only
03 Tiburon v6 SC 1st ever MS
93 Tracer KLDE,Compounds w/2 of everything, Twin Megasquirt ?
00 Lotus Esprit v8-TT Full MS3x/ls1 coils/water/Meth
97 200sx 1.6L Stock, MS2/3.0, Sequential, CBR1000r coils