MegalogViewer compatible?

Questions specific to Megatunix - alternate tuning software that runs on unix and windows.
Note that Megatunix is obsolete.

Moderator: djandruczyk

65looter
Experienced MS/Extra'er

MegalogViewer compatible?

Post by 65looter »

Hello,

As soon as I get the EFI back on the engine I will start using Megatunix.
With Megatune's logs I used MegalogViewer, are the logs from Megatunix compatible with MegalogViewer?

Thanks for your time.
Ford 342 stroker | 4inj.TBI
MS2/Extra beta RC3 2.1.0 20090611
OpelCrazy
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by OpelCrazy »

Yes they are but you wont have a msq which megalogviewer uses
diegom6
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by diegom6 »

OpelCrazy wrote:Yes they are but you wont have a msq which megalogviewer uses
uh? how is that? I mean what is the downside of this? :shock:
BMW 325is Turbo E30 (m20b30) MS II Extra code X.X (13 or 14) Beta 3.0v board - 2.25MT
hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hobieboy »

I was thinking along similar lines...

I understand Megatune msq files are incompatible with the config files generated by Megatunix. If I decide to switch over from one to the other, can I use the "read from ECU" command on all pages to "upload" the config then save as a new config file?

This will be very error prone, but at least give me a way to convert; as opposed to manually re-typed everything (which is even worst)?
diegom6
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by diegom6 »

hobieboy wrote:I was thinking along similar lines...

I understand Megatune msq files are incompatible with the config files generated by Megatunix. If I decide to switch over from one to the other, can I use the "read from ECU" command on all pages to "upload" the config then save as a new config file?

This will be very error prone, but at least give me a way to convert; as opposed to manually re-typed everything (which is even worst)?
yes! good question, or even "Import " the spark and fuel tables over MegaTunix!?
BMW 325is Turbo E30 (m20b30) MS II Extra code X.X (13 or 14) Beta 3.0v board - 2.25MT
czb83
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by czb83 »

Maybe I'm misunderstand what you asking, but you don't need to upload the config in MTX. Both MT(MegaTune) and MTX(MegaTunix) read the current configuration on the chip when it connects. You can backup thiks information in MT(via MSQ) and do the same in MTX(ECU backup). THey are different formats so you can load one using the other program. If you have an MSQ, if you connect to MS, then you can load this into firmware. You can close MT, and load up MTX. It will read current configuration values from firmware. You don't have to manually re-enter any values if they are already on the ECU from using MT.

Also, although MT uses MSQ, and MTX has its own format, they both understand VEX file format for VE tables and such. So if you export VE table in MegaTune to VEX, you should be able to load it up MTX.

Also, as far as MLV goes, you can view the logs created by MTX just like you can logs created from MT. Currently to use VE tune option, you need a MSQ. Really MLV just needs the table, which is VEX format, which both ECU tuning programs support. Hopefully this feature will be added in the feature. MLV is really a great program, and with the growing popularity of MTX, that feature will make it even better.
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

czb83 wrote:Maybe I'm misunderstand what you asking, but you don't need to upload the config in MTX. Both MT(MegaTune) and MTX(MegaTunix) read the current configuration on the chip when it connects. You can backup thiks information in MT(via MSQ) and do the same in MTX(ECU backup). THey are different formats so you can load one using the other program. If you have an MSQ, if you connect to MS, then you can load this into firmware. You can close MT, and load up MTX. It will read current configuration values from firmware. You don't have to manually re-enter any values if they are already on the ECU from using MT.

Also, although MT uses MSQ, and MTX has its own format, they both understand VEX file format for VE tables and such. So if you export VE table in MegaTune to VEX, you should be able to load it up MTX.

Also, as far as MLV goes, you can view the logs created by MTX just like you can logs created from MT. Currently to use VE tune option, you need a MSQ. Really MLV just needs the table, which is VEX format, which both ECU tuning programs support. Hopefully this feature will be added in the feature. MLV is really a great program, and with the growing popularity of MTX, that feature will make it even better.
VEX import/export has one big flaw.
It was designed back when MS firmware only had 1 table (original B&G firmware). So there isn't any way to differentiate tables apart from each other. (i.e. the parsing SW doesn't know which table goes where in ECU memory)..

Megatunix gets around this by encoding information into the UserComment: line of the VEXfile for EACH table. Megatunix refers to tables in the ECU by number (derived from it's config files), when it EXPORTS a VEX file it puts in markers and a comment into the file. On load of that VEX file it checks to see if the firmware is a multi-table one, if so it EXPLICITLY searches for those markers, if they are not there it will REFUSE to load the VEX file. (in order to prevent corrupting your settings all to hell).

The way around this refusal if importing a VEX file from some other program is to edit that line for each table and "tag" the table with the appropriate text so that megatunix knows where it goes..

Here's an example snipped from a VEX file exported by megatunix.

Code: Select all

EVEME 1.0
UserRev: 1.00
UserComment: Table 0; (Fuel VE-Table 1, MSnSpark-Extra) No comment given
Date: 2-02-2007
Time: 10:57
Page 1
VE Table RPM Range              [12]
The important lines is the "UserComment" line. the marker is "Table 0;" Note: the semicolon is CRITICAL (it's the delimiter) ANYTHING AFTER THAT is comment, and ignored by the VEX loader

Basically for MSnS-Extra firmware,
The table numbers are as follows:
Table 0; VE Table 1
Table 1; VE Table 2
Table 2; VE Table 3
Table 3; Spark Table 1
Table 4; Spark Table 2
Table 5; AFR Table 1
Table 6; AFR Table 2
Table 7; Boost Table 1
Table 8; Boost Table 2
Table 9; Boost Table 3
Table 10; Rotary Trailing Table

These are all defined in the interrogation profile specific to the firmware (there's one profile per each supported firmware supported by megatunix)
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Where to get and how to install:
http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=23080
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix