Proper boost control config

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

muythaibxr
Site Admin

Re: Proper boost control config

Post by muythaibxr »

ab wrote:
muythaibxr wrote:yeah, those settings are backwards... the open duty should always be higher than the closed duty. You should invert your polarity.

Ken
I tried this last night, swapped the open duty to 100, closed to 60 and set the output to inverted but it stopped working and all I got was wastegate pressure. Will it cause any harm leaving it the way it is? It seems to have worked really well for a few months now. Thanks.
IT could, as some of the math could be backwards, giving you negative numbers when what you want is positive.

I'll have to try what you did on the bench and see what the effect is.

Ken
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

karlo wrote:
muythaibxr wrote:It's just a simple PID loop, so P for example is "the P you set * current error," while I is "the I you set * the current error sum," and D is "The D you set * the difference between the last loop iteration and the current one...

So what do you want exactly? The actual numbers after those multiplications?
Yes, after the multiplications. That way you can see which of the parameters are moving your valve. In particular, I would often like to see if my I and D parameters are set meaningfully (the P is easy to figure out). It should make it a little quicker to tune the PID parameters, and might make it easier to understand for newcomers as well.
I will consider putting this in, although the next minor release probably won't get it (Because I'm going on vacation this week, and tomorrow is the last day I'll have to work on it until I come back).

Ken
intense98rt
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by intense98rt »

Bumping this thread up because its been a couple months. I haven't figured anything out with the gm solenoid. Has anyone else figured out the settings?
'89 chrysler conquest
MS2extra v3
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

I'm making some PID math fixes to closed-loop boost control in the next release (2.1.0).
95_2.4T
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 95_2.4T »

intense98rt wrote:Bumping this thread up because its been a couple months. I haven't figured anything out with the gm solenoid. Has anyone else figured out the settings?

I am using this same solenoid, it has been working "not bad" all summer with duty cycle. Some spiking and odd boost conditions. I would really to see "closed loop" up and working well.............
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

As I just said, I'm making some of the same math fixes that made PID idle a lot better. It's a bit difficult to get it perfect since I don't have a boosted engine, and very few people are willing to try it until it's working. I can't get it working unless someone is willing to *carefully* try it.

I'd be a LOT easier if someone in my area could let me tweak it on their car.

Ken
transaxel
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by transaxel »

muythaibxr wrote:As I just said, I'm making some of the same math fixes that made PID idle a lot better. It's a bit difficult to get it perfect since I don't have a boosted engine, and very few people are willing to try it until it's working. I can't get it working unless someone is willing to *carefully* try it.

I'd be a LOT easier if someone in my area could let me tweak it on their car.

Ken

Hi Ken!

There´s no problem to test a version with a fixed pid loop for me. In moment i´ve two turbocharged cars. I also have built a bench where i can simulate map pressure so i can check how pid and PW from valve reacts.

Greetings Gerald
Alfa Romeo 164 2.0 V6 Turbo running on MS2 Extra
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

transaxel wrote: Hi Ken!

There´s no problem to test a version with a fixed pid loop for me. In moment i´ve two turbocharged cars. I also have built a bench where i can simulate map pressure so i can check how pid and PW from valve reacts.

Greetings Gerald
Alright. I'll probably send you a debugging code as soon as I get a chance to bench-test my changes.

Ken
intense98rt
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by intense98rt »

Any updates on this?
'89 chrysler conquest
MS2extra v3
transaxel
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by transaxel »

intense98rt wrote:Any updates on this?
I heard nothing about a new version. I played this weekend with the actual Version - but there´s no chance to get boost stable in closed loop.
Alfa Romeo 164 2.0 V6 Turbo running on MS2 Extra
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

I've been on vacation for 2 weeks (wedding and honeymoon), so I should be able to get back into things and get the remaining ms2/extra 2.x problems fixed, Including fixing boost-control's math.

Ken
oskar
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by oskar »

muythaibxr wrote:I've been on vacation for 2 weeks (wedding and honeymoon)
Ken
Congratulations to both of you.

.. and this is a vaild excuse for _any_ delay :D

Oskar
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

It limited my time for working on code for the couple of months before the wedding too, which is why I've been a bit slow.

I hope now I'll have more time to write code.

Ken
dougs951s
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dougs951s »

any update to this? I still can't seem to get CL working correctly on the most current ms2 extra firmware. closed duty 10%, open duty 75%, inverted operation. The PID loop just seems hopelessly broken, it either overshoots or never hits target.
1986 Porsche 944 turbo: Microsquirt V3, 105# injectors, LS COP ignition, Bosch 044 pump, Billet HX40 turbo, built head/big cam, meth injection, big ass FMIC. 450 rwhp/450 rwtq @ 23 psi.