Interpolate Function - Am I Doing it Wrong?

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

VolvoGuy50
Master MS/Extra'er

Interpolate Function - Am I Doing it Wrong?

Post by VolvoGuy50 »

I've been thinking about this the past couple of days and wonder if I used interpolate function correctly, or if I did it all wrong. Basically I was porting the stock maps from my Bosch computers to MS3. The VE table from the LH-Jetronic 2.4 ECU ported fine - the VE table is 16x16. The EZK-208 spark map however is 16x8. :? (so 16 on the x-axis, 8 on the y-axis) - I ported that to the bottom half of the MS3 area (16x16) and then selected all and hit Interpolate to let TS fill the 16x16 table from the 16x8 info

Is that how it's meant to be used, or would I have been better off copying the 8th row up and pasting it in the rest of the rows to keep it as a 16x16 with the top 9 being the same thing.
1992 Volvo 740 Wagon - Beater Car...CAI, 16T, catback, MS3/MS3X, & HID's
1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - Daily Driver...RAI, Big 16g, 3" TBE, HID's, etc.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Interpolate Function - Am I Doing it Wrong?

Post by jsmcortina »

Interpolate means to "fill in between" so having a half-empty and half-filled table isn't going to work at all.

Fill in alternate rows, enter a mid-point Y axis value and then interpolate across the gap.
e.g. (first no. is the axis, second is the made up advance value
60kPa 20 <- these values from your source
55 0 <- mid-way Y axis entered, empty row
50kPa 25 <- these values from your source

Now select all three rows and hit interpolate - the middle row will get filled in.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
vtmegasquirter
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by vtmegasquirter »

James,

Could you explain this a little bit more. I tried it and was confused with the results. First I just tried 3 cells in my ignition table leaving the middle cell "0". I highlighted all three and hit interpolate and it filled in the middle cell correctly. I then tried it on the whole screen. I set my 100kpa row with my ignition curve for WOT, then I entered my 70kpa row for idle. All in between rows were set to zero. I highlighted all rows and hit interpolate and it changes all the rows including the 100kpa and the 70 kpa rows with much different values. I had thought it would just fill in the zero values? what part am I not understanding? Thanks
VolvoGuy50
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by VolvoGuy50 »

vtmegasquirter wrote:James,

Could you explain this a little bit more. I tried it and was confused with the results. First I just tried 3 cells in my ignition table leaving the middle cell "0". I highlighted all three and hit interpolate and it filled in the middle cell correctly. I then tried it on the whole screen. I set my 100kpa row with my ignition curve for WOT, then I entered my 70kpa row for idle. All in between rows were set to zero. I highlighted all rows and hit interpolate and it changes all the rows including the 100kpa and the 70 kpa rows with much different values. I had thought it would just fill in the zero values? what part am I not understanding? Thanks
Yeah, I tried it James's way and no matter what I do my top row stays filled with zeros.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Sounds like it is working correctly then. Did you look up interpolate in the dictionary ?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
vtmegasquirter
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by vtmegasquirter »

Yep I looked up the definition. I just tried again and decided to just do a vertical row, one at a time and that worked fine. I guess I thought I could interpolate (insert) all the cells at once. In hindsight it makes sense that that wouldn't work as it would be trying to interpolate in both the y and x axis at once.
VolvoGuy50
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by VolvoGuy50 »

vtmegasquirter wrote:Yep I looked up the definition. I just tried again and decided to just do a vertical row, one at a time and that worked fine. I guess I thought I could interpolate (insert) all the cells at once. In hindsight it makes sense that that wouldn't work as it would be trying to interpolate in both the y and x axis at once.
That makes sense.

Although after looking at that spark map, it seems just about right anyways. :lol: I guess I'll leave the top at 0 when the twin turbos spool.
Black99rt
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Black99rt »

That spark map is interesting to say the least.
1999 Dakota 5.9L R/T-
MSIIe 3.1.2 Batch Fuel/MSD single coil dizzy/Stepper idle
LC-1
joebie
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by joebie »

Hey volvoguy you got any pictures of those cars.

That's a pretty impressive list.