Toyota MR2 3SGE Red-Top Beams VVTi Project

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

mr2.3sge
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Toyota MR2 3SGE Red-Top Beams VVTi Project

Post by mr2.3sge »

Hello everyone,

My name is Gustavo Vieira and I'm from Portugal. I'm a new member and I came to this forum because I recently bought a new MS3pro module.

I have an Toyota MR2 with a Rev4 3SGE Red-top Beams engine (intake VVTi). The toyota oem ecu is quite closed to oem parts, so I know that I'm losing some torque with some aftermarket parts that I've been assembling. Right now I have 202hp and 224Nm. Some of 3SGE Beams guys have told me that they have obtained really good gains (up to 20hp) exploring the oem parts with their aftermarket ECU's (LinkG4, Motec etc...), so I hope to do the same or even better with my MS3pro module.

I'm starting to read the manual and make the connections between oem wiring harness and the MS3pro module but I have some questions... (I don't have the schematic diagram of MS3pro module)

- On my OEM ECU schematic diagram I have a common pin with CKP- ans CMP-. Is there any problem if I connect them at the same pin too? or have I to connect them separately?

- I don't know the curve of my MAF sensor. What can I do to know it? is there anyone that have it? Toyota Part #22204-20010

- The MS3pro module tacho output pin is 0-5V or 0-12V?

- The Narrowband Heater is a OEM ECU output pin. Should I connect it to a MS3pro module output pin too? Where can I connect it?

- What is the oem injection time?

I hope that you can help me with some of those questions to proceed with this MS project.
Last edited by mr2.3sge on Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr2.3sge
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Toyota MR2 3SGE Red-Top Beams VVTi Project

Post by mr2.3sge »

Here it is the OEM ECU Wiring Diagram

3SGE Red-Top Beams (JDM 3SGE Rev4 with Intake VVTi)
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

mr2.3sge wrote: - On my OEM ECU schematic diagram I have a common pin with CKP- ans CMP-. Is there any problem if I connect them at the same pin too? or have I to connect them separately?
Connect them together.
- I don't know the curve of my MAF sensor. What can I do to know it? is there anyone that have it? Toyota Part #22204-20010
It's usually easier to just run speed density. Also keep in mind that the MAF curve will change depending on what housing you put it in.
- The MS3pro module tacho output pin is 0-5V or 0-12V?
0-12V. If you wanted a 0-5V output, you could use an unused IGN input.
- The Narrowband Heater is a OEM ECU output pin. Should I connect it to a MS3pro module output pin too? Where can I connect it?
I wouldn't. The heater is more of an emissions thing to get the semsor warmed up faster.
- What is the oem injection time?
It's generally easier to just dyno tune it rather than trying to copy an OEM map.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
ragepower
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ragepower »

Hi

Im his friend and im helping him. I already had successfully installed a MS3.

Our first objective is to have a similar behaviour between MS3 and oem ECU, so we wanna to use the same sensor of OEM so when i change one for the other, we don't notice changing in behaviour and performance. Then improve it, if necessary, sensors will be applied/removed/changed.

My first challenge is the stock MAF, we wanna to use it, but we don't know the curve. There is some way the determine the curve? It seems possible to me by using the OEM ecu, with the engine running, with a pressure sensor and engine value (displacement, rotation,... like a speed density) by record some value with various operations points? I know it would be easier to use a MAP but would more interesting to learn a way to determine a MAF curve.

About the narrow heater, the oem ecu is connected to the heater, seems that control it, maybe is some benefit to control it and i don't know. I was thinking in connect it to ground. What is your opinion?

Regards
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

ragepower wrote: My first challenge is the stock MAF, we wanna to use it, but we don't know the curve. There is some way the determine the curve?
One word: Flowbench.
About the narrow heater, the oem ecu is connected to the heater, seems that control it, maybe is some benefit to control it and i don't know. I was thinking in connect it to ground. What is your opinion?

Regards
It's used to allow the sensor to come up to temperature faster to allow closed loop operation sooner. Basically an emissions control thing.
mr2.3sge
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mr2.3sge »

After all these days, finally I've time to work and develop my project.
I've already assembled all ECU wiring in its box.

This was the final stage/look.

I have some doubt that you probably should know:

- Should I put a diode on my solenoid's wiring (VVTi and Idle valve) like this image? or the MS3pro module has already this modification?

- Does anyone know the dwell time of toyota COPs? I have the #1. I don't know if they have the same dwell.

- Does anyone know the dead time of these injectors? They are 345cc from 3SGE BlackTop Beams found in Altezza GXE10.

- I measured the frequency of my VVTi solenoid and my idle valve and they are 300Hz and 250Hz respectively. I think that this engine is a kind of 4Cil. 2JZ VVTi. Does anyone know if the 2JZ VVTi solenoid has the same frequency? Can anyone share your 2JZ VVTi map to have a good base?

Thanks for all your support.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The module has the flyback diodes in place already.

Most Toyota COP coils seem to work best with 2.0 to 2.5 ms dwell. Not sure of exactly what yours need, but that's a good rule of thumb.
mr2.3sge
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mr2.3sge »

Now I'm getting started with the TunerStudio.

I uploaded the CLT and IAT specs, changed the engine size, No. of cylinders, required fuel, injector size, and other simple things. I'm doing this in my desk first and the CLT started to grow up... very strange thing because I only have power the 12V pin and a power ground.
I restarted the TunerStudio and this setting error appeared. I don't know what to do now. Does anyone have any idea of what's going on?

mr2.3sge
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mr2.3sge »

Here it is my MSQ file.

One problem that I already detected is that I have selected on Ignition Options/ Wheel decoder the 2JZ VVTi spark mode. The CMP a CKP are the same as well as the crank pulley and the 3 teeths on the camshaft comparing the 2JZ VVTi and the 3SGE Beams VVTi but it generate an Error on No. Cylinders/Ignition settings. 2JZ is a 6Cyl and 3SGE is a 4Cyl. How can I do it?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

if the decoder for the crank/cam does not exist you could try posting in the ms3 dev section to see if it can be added.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

mr2.3sge wrote:Here it is my MSQ file.

One problem that I already detected is that I have selected on Ignition Options/ Wheel decoder the 2JZ VVTi spark mode. The CMP a CKP are the same as well as the crank pulley and the 3 teeths on the camshaft comparing the 2JZ VVTi and the 3SGE Beams VVTi but it generate an Error on No. Cylinders/Ignition settings. 2JZ is a 6Cyl and 3SGE is a 4Cyl. How can I do it?
Some of the settings for this spark mode on a four cylinder have not been confirmed. Can you get the following:

1. A composite log of an attempted start

2. Find the tooth #1 angle needed to get it running in generic wheel mode with the spark timing in the correct location. You'll have to use semi-sequential fuel and wasted spark or wasted-COP ignition.
juansh2385
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by juansh2385 »

I not sure if some body worked more on this but the trigger angle is 215 in wasted cop generic trigger wheel mode. hopes it helps
mr2.3sge
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mr2.3sge »

juansh2385 wrote:I not sure if some body worked more on this but the trigger angle is 215 in wasted cop generic trigger wheel mode. hopes it helps

Hey Juansh2385. Are you sure about this trigger angle? Cause I thought that was 226deg, that's why James told me to put +11deg on 2JZ VVTi mode.
I'm back to work right now and I need it done soon.

Thanks for your help