Tips for permanent shadow dash installation?

For discussion of other tuning and logging softwares

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Tips for permanent shadow dash installation?

Post by Tjabo »

It's hard to believe there is so little activity on this thread if it really is the best repository of information about best practices for Shadow Dash.

Is there another, better place where this is being discussed, or has Raspberry Pi taken over this purpose?
--'98 Dodge Neon ACR Turbo - MS3 beta test car - Sold
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

I just think not many users see the value in having SD running all time. It can be a bit slow and temperamental at times and occasionally drops connection which is not good if your only instrument. Tablets can also be a problem when used in a car environment. Boot time, auto program load, sun glare, power supply and temperature extremes all make for an pleasant experience. I prefer the head unit option although using a Droid device is challenging.

All in all SD is a good product which is unique to MS. Unless you want an expensive dedicated interface this is the next best thing.
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Thanks benckj!

So are you saying that SD is preferable to you over a Raspberry Pi dash for some reason? Sorry, I'm just having trouble sorting this out, and I'm on a bit of a short time frame currently.
--'98 Dodge Neon ACR Turbo - MS3 beta test car - Sold
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

I can’t really comment on Pi as haven’t used in this application before. SD is purpose built for MS display and the programmers continually work on improving product. For example the latest versions upload data files through Wifi server to a MS Dropbox account automatically. This allows viewing and sharing files online.
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Haven’t been here for some time as everything has ben tickingn ticking over quite nicely. Ol saying , if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, I guess.

Then it happened, I decided to give my TMPS system a go again as I would like to have all my toys on one platform. The platform being a Droid head unit running 5.1, I believe. Had multiple problems with last TPMS as the supplied software was crap. Could not get to work unless SD was unplugged. SD was more important so that won. Now I bought a new improved TPMS dedicated to run on Droid HU’s with multiple USB ports.

Took a bit to get program loaded due to external permission issues but once I did it worked! Connected with all my tyres and got valid data back which is nice to see. Then the bad news, SD dropped off. Sometimes I can get both to work but more often not so. Disabled as many Apps not required and dropped USB speed to medium with some success but still not great.

Please does anyone have any tips to get multiple USB inputs working symotanisally?

USB 1= flash drive with MP3 music
USB 2= SD using FTDI interface
USB 3= TPMS

I’ll try and upload some pics but on my phone so may have to wait until I’m on work PC.

Appreciate any help but go easy on me as never used Droids before.
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
sschutte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by sschutte »

Please send support an app debug log (File > Advanced > Share App Debug) so we can look into what exactly is causing them not to want to play together.

Couple things worth trying:
1) Remove all unused apps and copy music to internal storage (if you have enough space)
2) If the head unit has multiple usb ports try putting the TPMS and FTDI cable on different ports
3) Bluetooth serial adapter (should still be able to get 26-30 fps)
4) I know you are already invested in your current solution but if I was going to do a permanent dashboard on my next car I would probably go with a Raspberry Pi Dash type solution so I can use Tunerstudio as both dash and tune application
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Thank you for your help. I will try some of your suggestions and send a debug log if the issue persists. Each of the USB devices are on separate ports so that is OK. I did move the TPMS further away using an extension cable as the FX may be interfering with FTDI comms. Not sure if this has helped or not yet.

I agree that running Pi would be the best option to display and tune with. I quite like the Driod HU as it allows multiple applications like music server, Maps, GPS, etc. It is also very convenient to download or update Apps as they come available. Just have to drag out the laptop when tuning which is not a problem these days. Never travel any distance without PC in trunk and VEAL ready to help.

Since I've started tuning my wife has become very critical of all our cars engine performance. Hardly a week goes by and she comments on if I can change the tune because there is flat spot or idle is slightly off. None of the other cars have MS installed so I just politely say, Yes Dear!
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

sschutte wrote:Please send support an app debug log (File > Advanced > Share App Debug) so we can look into what exactly is causing them not to want to play together.

Couple things worth trying:
1) Remove all unused apps and copy music to internal storage (if you have enough space)
2) If the head unit has multiple usb ports try putting the TPMS and FTDI cable on different ports
3) Bluetooth serial adapter (should still be able to get 26-30 fps)
4) I know you are already invested in your current solution but if I was going to do a permanent dashboard on my next car I would probably go with a Raspberry Pi Dash type solution so I can use Tunerstudio as both dash and tune application
Worked a little on this over the weekend as when ran car into town I couldn't get either the SD or TPMS apps to properly run. After a fair amount of fiddling (plugging and unplugging units) I got them to run but not at same time. I did try and capture the Share App Debug but a message came up stating this App was not supported for this action. Not sure if this needs to be configured or something through settings??

As suggested I;
1/ Removed all unused Apps and de-activated others.
2/ Tried swapping ports for each unit with no change.
3/ No BT serial adapter to use.
4/ Would rather run this Droid set-up as like the versatality of using in the car.

I think the current version of SD I'm running is 1.6.1. Is there a later version out and would it be any advantage to use it?
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Revisiting an ol thread I was posting in. Continue to use SD on a daily basis with few problems. After my TPMS issue I never regained the speedometer display. Simply shows ‘0 km/hr’ like no sensor input. Tried resetting HU and loading back only necessary Apps to no avail.

Just today I went to upgrade SD program to 16.09 where I’m running 16.06. Couldn’t seem to connect long enough for download even though I’ve had excellent Wifi. Will try again in morning but wonder if something going on in background or upgrade not compatible with my unit, etc. Also any short list of improvements or bug fixes in this latest version?
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
ervinjason
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ervinjason »

I don't know about ShadowDash but TunerStudio can tune and datalog through CAN.

However, you need a CAN interface between the PC and the MS that understands the MS CAN protocol.

Once you have that, communication from TS to the MS is completely transparent.

I have been using my own USB-CAN adapter for quite a while and I can have 2 instances of TunerStudio communicating with one MS at the same time with one on the serial port and one on the CAN bus.

Of course, you don't want to change the tuning parameters from both sides but you can do it on one side and datalog on the other side.

I assume ShadowDash could be used to datalog instead of the second TS instance; what I don't know is if it can do it over the CAN bus (through the USB-CAN adapter).
Video editing app Alight Motion is the first professional motion design app bringing you professional-quality animation, motion graphics, visual effects, video compositing, and more!