The DriveByWire Controller (DBWX2)

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

petski3
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: The DriveByWire Controller (DBWX2)

Post by petski3 »

Yeah, the CO-cpu code was extremely strict on the signal quality. Now it allows a tiny amount of time for the signals to settle (~0.05s). This will not affect the overall safety of the controller.

Looking at the log of your TB it has clean signals when the TB is opening, but on every TB close the main pot signal is reading low compared to the secondary pot. I would assume that this TB has a potential problem on the potentiometer. It may work for a long time or not, time will tell.

If you are interested on how to spot this from the log, look at the Volt dbw1 sum volts channel. This ch is a sum of the main and secondary sensors and should ideally be constant 5 volts. But you can see the channel dip on every close of the throttlebody. You can also see on channels dbw1 actual position and dbw1 secondary sensor that they do not show the same numbers on throttlebody closure events. On open events and while the tb is static the signals are good. I have not encountered this before.
https://www.dbwx2.com/ - Dual DBW Controller
Mk4Vr6TurboMS3Pro
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Mk4Vr6TurboMS3Pro »

Ok thanks Petsk very much.
Diogo Miranda
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Diogo Miranda »

Hello,

I am currently working on a project to build a Drive by Wire (DBW) system for a Formula SAE team here in Brazil, and I am interested in learning more about your DBWX2 ETC controller project. I have found your project intriguing and would like to know more about how it works. Maybe adapting your idea to what my project has to achieve.

Specifically, I am interested in understanding how you are using TunerStudio for calibration and configuration. Did EFI provide you with the documentation easily via Email? Additionally, I would like to know how you are supplying power to the throttle body. Are you using the default channels in the Megasquirt or an external PWM in the DBWX2?

Any information or insights you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
petski3
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by petski3 »

Diogo Miranda wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:46 pm Hello,

I am currently working on a project to build a Drive by Wire (DBW) system for a Formula SAE team here in Brazil, and I am interested in learning more about your DBWX2 ETC controller project. I have found your project intriguing and would like to know more about how it works. Maybe adapting your idea to what my project has to achieve.

Specifically, I am interested in understanding how you are using TunerStudio for calibration and configuration. Did EFI provide you with the documentation easily via Email? Additionally, I would like to know how you are supplying power to the throttle body. Are you using the default channels in the Megasquirt or an external PWM in the DBWX2?

Any information or insights you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
Tuner studio is a program that handles the GUI + data transfer from the PC to the embedded system. It is a handy software as the logging and visualization of data (lots of works to do from scratch) comes with it. It was the best choice for dbwx2 as MS also uses it.

The throttle body is powered via a H-bridge in the dbw controller. The drive by wire throttle body is basically a DC servo motor. You get the location of the throttle blade from the potentiometer and then drive DC motor via the H-bridge to archive the desired position. PID control is the industry standard way to do the positional control.

I would suggest you get an arduino and a h-bridge addon for it and start experimenting. You will not need TS or anything fancy to make a working throttle servo controller. The really difficult part is the safety and integration to third party systems.
Diogo Miranda
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Diogo Miranda »

So, if I understand correctly, TunerStudio is used to configure both the MegaSquirt and the controller, but each has a separate and different interface within TunerStudio, right?

Additionally, the amount the throttle body opens is controlled by the MS3 via the CAN bus, correct?

I have created a code that receives an APPS signal and is supposed to control a servo motor based on a tuning MAP. I will probably test it out in the next week. I started building an interface, but I thought it would be strange for the team to use two different software. It doesn't seem to be that hard to build a .ini file to use in TunerStudio.

Regarding safety reasons, it doesn't need to be super strict since I will have to build another separate safety module for the ETC.
How much time did you spend on this project? About a year or two?
I appreciate the help.
petski3
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by petski3 »

I think you got it right.
Diogo Miranda
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Diogo Miranda »

Do you know how the MS3 would work if the MEGA were to malfunction and the TPS is not the same as what the MS3 transmitted as the target? In my project, when the brake is pressed, the TPS needs to stay at idle. So, I will block the signal and force the throttle to stay at idle.

petski3
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by petski3 »

Megasquirt does need to know the position of the throttle body at all times. This is especially important if alpha-n is used. You can manipulate the throttle position to your wish freely.

If you block the throttle while pressing brake you cannot downshift throttle blip the engine under braking.
Polargtx
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Polargtx »

is this still available? ... I've been trying to find a controller to work with my rally car project. I've sourced a twin screw supercharger, DBW throttle body andsupercharger bypass valve form a Mercury Verado outboard motor. DBWX2 looks like exactly what I need , except I can't find one to buy. I've found other controllers , but not for dual throttle body and no CANbus support.
petski3
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by petski3 »

https://kptuned.com Might have stock. More controllers are in the making but we are still waiting on some components..
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

I have one in hand that I no longer need, went away from MS for my latest project and already sold the MS3X.
Polargtx
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Polargtx »

Laminar wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:10 pm I have one in hand that I no longer need, went away from MS for my latest project and already sold the MS3X.
Shoot me a message if you'd like to sell it.

Thanks.
Mɐʇʇ
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mɐʇʇ »

petski3 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:42 am https://kptuned.com Might have stock. More controllers are in the making but we are still waiting on some components..
I have just got in touch with him and bought one - thank you for the heads up.
Mɐʇʇ
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mɐʇʇ »

petski3 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:42 am https://kptuned.com Might have stock. More controllers are in the making but we are still waiting on some components..
Quick question - I think the DBWX2 that on it's way to me is on v. 0.80. Would you advise leaving it on that, or upgrading it to the latest 0.91 version.
Many thanks
petski3
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by petski3 »

I do recommend using the most recent firmware available
Mɐʇʇ
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mɐʇʇ »

Thank you - will do. All arrived safe and sound from KP Tuned. :)