Can't Change Tinyiox CAN ID

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

abell6723
MS/Extra Newbie

Can't Change Tinyiox CAN ID

Post by abell6723 »

I'm trying to change the CAN ID on a Tinyiox. I open the port scanner, click Scan Ports, find the Tinyiox, change CAN ID from 4 to another number, click yes when it asks if I want to do this, it says CAN ID has been changed and rescan to verify. When I try to rescan, the port scanner locks up and I have to cycle power the Tinyiox, then I can successfully scan, but the ID is still 4.

I'm trying to add a Tinyiox and I get the same results on both Tiny's. The original is still working and communicating with my MS3.

Also, there is a problem with the forums at jbperf.com. There is no box to type the post into when posting a new topic.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Can't Change Tinyiox CAN ID

Post by racingmini_mtl »

You need to power cycle the TIOx for the new CAN Id to take effect.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
abell6723
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by abell6723 »

CAN ID is still 4 after power cycling. I've also tried 2 other laptops, one with v1.4, and an old laptop that still has v1.2 on it.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

PM sent for some needed additional information about your unit.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I've just checked here to make sure that there was not any problem with the latest MS3 firmware (either the release 1.5.2 or the beta pre-1.5.2rc17) and the earlier version of the TIOx that came with your first unit as well as the latest firmware version. And there was not any issue with any of those. And by the way, you do not need to power cycle for the TIOx CAN Id to take effect as opposed to what I mentioned in my previous post.

Since you have 2 TIOx, I wonder if you were trying to do the change with both units connected to the CAN bus. If so, you cannot do this because there will be conflicts between the 2 units since they have the same default CAN ID and I have no idea what that will do which is probably why you were having a frozen port scanner. So connect one TIOx to the CAN bus, change the CAN ID and then check that you have the new CAN ID. Then remove that unit from the CAN bus and connect the other unit to the CAN bus; change the CAN ID on that unit to a new Id and back to the default ID (4) just to make sure that there wasn't any corrupted memory.

And you should also use the latest port scanner (v1.6) and also the latest TIOx firmware (v0.2.3).

If you cannot change the CAN ID as mentioned above then you will need to use the bootloader header which will put the TIOx in bootloader mode (power off unit, short the 2 pads, power up the unit and scan with the port scanner) and you will need to load the latest TIOx firmware and then change the CAN ID. Again you will need to use one TIOx on the CAN bus at a time. Once you have 2 TIOx with different CAN IDs then you can connect both to the CAN bus.

If you can't get this to work with any of the options I mentioned, then there is a more serious problem and I will need more details about your exact setup: what is connected to the CAN bus, which firmware version are you running on all the devices, which port scanner version are you running and which OS are you running.

Jean
abell6723
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by abell6723 »

I did have both Tinys installed on the initial power up, and I think I might have used the port scanner once with both installed, but all attempts since have been with only one connected. I do have a Maybee Kids dash, but unhooking it doesn't change anything.

I tried port scanner V1.6, same results. When I try to update to firmware v0.2.3, I get an error message. If I short the bootloader pads, the port scanner locks up when I try to scan.

I'm attempting to use 2 Tinys and a Maybee Kids dash, but the only thing currently connected is one Tiny. The original Tiny that I have had installed for several years is running firmware version 0.2.1, not sure what the newer one is. MS3 Goldbox is running version 1.5.2 beta 9. I was using port scanner v1.4 before, but per your suggestion, all attempts tonight were made with v1.6. I'm running Windows 10 Pro.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

You need to power the unit down, short the pads on the TIOx as you power up the unit and then leave the pads not shorted once you have powered up. Then run the port scanner and you should see the TIOx with the mention that it is in bootloader mode.

But I forgot to mention that you need to disable all the CAN polling from the MS3 before you either do a firmware update or a CAN ID change or run in bootloader. The message from the MS3 trying to read data from the TIOx can interfere with all of those things. In your msq, you have the ADC polling and the Innovate EGO enabled which must all be disabled. Once the changes to the TIOx CAN ID and firmware are done, you can re-enable them.

Jean
abell6723
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by abell6723 »

I disabled all CAN polling, receiving, and broadcasting, that did the trick. Thanks.