All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ArdilaRacingMC79
MS/Extra Newbie

MS1 3.0 Board Corrupted Firmware

Post by ArdilaRacingMC79 »

Dear team

Greetings from Colombia

I've been using a MS1 with 3.0 Board in a Chevrolet Montecarlo 1979 with a 3.3 V6 engine with the Classic electrónica HEI ignition system. My MS1 is only managing fuel operations and ignition still apart with HEi distriutor. For injection pulse the ms1 is taking the signal from fue ignition module and this configuration worked for more than 10 years. Some weeks ago I wanted yo upgrade the ignition system with a pertronix d2000 HEi module and a flame thrower pertronix coil d3000 with new spark plugs and wires (only plug and play operation). The car started pretty well for 10 minutes and suddleny the ms1 was gone. I've checked fuses, relays, wiring and everything was ok but ms1 was dead. No power supply! I've removed ms1 casing and the circuit was good. No burnt parts no smoke smell so ir was quite confusing. I took the ms1 yo an expert here un Colombia and he restored it in few hours. He told me that was the most weird case in his life because he found that the Firmware was Corrupted. Other expert told me that that behavior was created by the RF pulse cause by the high performance cool and HEi module and the shielding of the ms1 was not good enought for that application. Now My MS1 is fines again but i'm afraid to instalo again the performance HEi coil and HEi module from pertronix. Is there a configuration ir a filter that I can use in My MS1 to run the hi po ignition application? Is correct the statement of the experts here in Colombia? What else can I do? Thanks yo everyone.
ArdilaRacingMC79
MS/Extra Newbie

MS1 3.0 Board Corrupted Firmware

Post by ArdilaRacingMC79 »

Dear team

Greetings from Colombia

I've been using a MS1 with 3.0 Board in a Chevrolet Montecarlo 1979 with a 3.3 V6 engine with the Classic electrónica HEI ignition system. My MS1 is only managing fuel operations and ignition still apart with HEi distriutor. For injection pulse the ms1 is taking the signal from fue ignition module and this configuration worked for more than 10 years. Some weeks ago I wanted yo upgrade the ignition system with a pertronix d2000 HEi module and a flame thrower pertronix coil d3000 with new spark plugs and wires (only plug and play operation). The car started pretty well for 10 minutes and suddleny the ms1 was gone. I've checked fuses, relays, wiring and everything was ok but ms1 was dead. No power supply! I've removed ms1 casing and the circuit was good. No burnt parts no smoke smell so ir was quite confusing. I took the ms1 yo an expert here un Colombia and he restored it in few hours. He told me that was the most weird case in his life because he found that the Firmware was Corrupted. Other expert told me that that behavior was created by the RF pulse cause by the high performance cool and HEi module and the shielding of the ms1 was not good enought for that application. Now My MS1 is fines again but i'm afraid to instalo again the performance HEi coil and HEi module from pertronix. Is there a configuration ir a filter that I can use in My MS1 to run the hi po ignition application? Is correct the statement of the experts here in Colombia? What else can I do? Thanks yo everyone.
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS1 3.0 Board Corrupted Firmware

Post by prof315 »

Upgrade to MS2
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
roadace
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by roadace »

Go back to the HEI distributor. This pertronix d2000 flamethrower stuff will not improve anything on this 12-valve pushrod engine.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Where is the MS1 grounded? Bad grounds, and noise injected into the power supply, are more common causes of trouble than RF interference.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
65ShelbyClone
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 65ShelbyClone »

I've had this happen more than once due to the problems that Matt mentions. Fortunately the boot loader remained intact in those cases and I just had to reflash the firmware. I also built a programmer for some blank chips I had laying around, but it would likewise be useful for hard cases where the bootloader breaks too.
1972 Ford Pinto - 2.3T, T5, MS-II v3.0.
1968 Mustang - still carbureted...for now.